Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default What is best Sports Car buy around?

If you wanted a single sports car what would it be - and why?

The criteria are rather simple:

The car needs to be very fast, turn and stop very well - be reasonably conservative with fuel consumption (as this car is going to be your daily driver - to work and home and the shops.)

The car needs to be able to hold it's own on drives through the countryside and when you take the car to a local race track, turn in decent lap times and even be able to withsatnd some drag racing abuse.

The car needs to survive for about 7 years and be able to turn over 120,000 miles without a problem and reasonably affordable to repair and service and have full factry warranty and support for at least some of its life.

There needs to be enough space inside to take you briefcase and laptop, and about 10 shopping bags of groceries.

The car also needs to be a reasonably affordable to insure on a family budget and finally - be affordable to purchase. (of course budgets differ - but to offer perspective, for many a $50,000 to $100,000 purchase would be the limiting range - as if you have much more than that available, chances are you have no need for a single car as your budget will allow a car for each mood - so it may sem like an arbitrary point, but it is rather realistic afterall - more people have a limited budget than not)

The car needs to be a new purchase (but for interest you may us a Time Machine and go back to any year you want and buy it new - but it must be able to compete with cars of that generation) [there will be a second topic for a used car at a later stage]

It also must be usable rain or shine - in climates with snow fall, you may assume that you dont need to drive on unplowed roads.

In short - what sports car is the best bang for the buck - state your reasons and budget you worked with.

Lets see your responses.

(BTW - try stay on topic an leave the personal attacks outside)
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

hmmm.....

6 months ago, i wouldve said STi right off, but that car lost a lot of its pedistal space after driving one

what defines a sports car? 2 seats no illusions as to purpose? there are only two choices realy... GT3, and Z06... am I missing anything? 2000 Cobra R? M3 CSL?

I would prefer the GT3 personally... I've recently been made aware of a sub 1200 kg 500 hp GT3... so in 7 years when i'm done paying for it... I can dump new money into it i suppose
Old 01-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

OK - so for you a budget of about $80,000 is more realistic right?

What year did you set your time machine for to buy your new GT3?

Is the interior storage luggage space good ewnough for your daily needs over the 6 or 7 years?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
PaulGT2164
Regular User

Hrmmm I would purchase a Evo or an STi, or maybe a cayman. something along those sorts.

maybe a lotus elise/exige even tho that doesnt meet some criteria, i have never bought 10 bags of groceries in my life lol
Old 01-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
hmmm.....

what defines a sports car? 2 seats no illusions as to purpose? there are only two choices realy... GT3, and Z06... am I missing anything? 2000 Cobra R? M3 CSL?
by your "2 seater" bias the CSL wouldn't enter cause its a 4 seater, and it can't be driven on snow

back on topic there are lots of options besides the ones mentioned: M3, M5, M6, Z4 M Coupe, SLK 55 AMG, NSX, RS4, RS6, 911 C2 or C4...
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I would get an old Porsche and drop a small block in it.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
back on topic there are lots of options besides the ones mentioned: M3, M5, M6, Z4 M Coupe, SLK 55 AMG, NSX, RS4, RS6, 911 C2 or C4...
Except none of those cars mentioned are fast.

None are 0-60 in 4s style fast. But if you are not a sports car enthusiast, this is understandable.

That is the entire point of a sports car - the potential to go fast.

The thread is about what is the best bang for the buck SPORTS car to buy.. the same car you are going to use on the back roads, race track, morning communte, weekend shopping and top speed runs.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
I would get an old Porsche and drop a small block in it.
New car with a warranty The [used car] thread is for later
Old 01-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Except none of those cars mentioned are fast.

None are 0-60 in 4s style fast. But if you are not a sports car enthusiast, this is understandable.

That is the entire point of a sports car - the potential to go fast.

The thread is about what is the best bang for the buck SPORTS car to buy.. the same car you are going to use on the back roads, race track, morning communte, weekend shopping and top speed runs.
they're fast enough to be considered sports cars...
as for best bang for the buck I think it has been discussed so many times and it has been agreed by most of all which one get the title.
I thought the topic was about options, opinions, and personal choices, not which one is the overall winner
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

there is clear difference in my mind between a sports car, and a sporty car... a sedan is no sports car in any way shape or form... 2 doors, 4 seats may fit... but... that may be streatching it.

a RS6 is NO sportscar, the RS4 is sporting, but no sports car, M3? I think its right around there, the 911 C2... you are going slower and slower, C4... a bit faster, an usable anyday...
Old 01-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

they're fast enough to be considered sports cars...
No they are not fast enough to be considered sports cars - that is point of having a "sports car" category.. because sports cars are faster, lighter, nimbler and overall quicker than the rest.

as for best bang for the buck I think it has been discussed so many times and it has been agreed by most of all which one get the title.
Really? I would not be so sure - after all you just offered an M3 and an M5 as "sports car" options.

I thought the topic was about options, opinions, and personal choices, not which one is the overall winner
The choices options and opinions should all logically steer towards the same short list - if they don't then the problem lies with the definition of "sports car" and "reasonable cost".

And before you simply assume the winner, don't - the point is to weed out those that are definately not even in the running because of cost and or performance.

So - in this discussion, even though it is almost the greatest sports car even produced, the Enzo cannot get on this list... it fails the price test.

Similarly, the Caterham Superlight R cannot be on the list, because it really cannot practically be used to drive to work in the rain....

ANd neither can the Mazda Miatat - its too slow, and so with the Audi TT, even the Evo - cant run to 170mph+.

WHy does a stock M3 not make the list? Performance - its not in the "sports car" league of the day. This was true in 1987 and is true in 2007 - has the M3 of the day ever been as fast a 911 Turbo or F248/355/360/430?

Speed is a critical component of being a "sports car".

Hot Hatch and Hot Sedan are different categories - and as such will have different "winners".

To give you an idea of cars I consider close contenders for "best sports car buy" as in practical, affordable and fast as hell:

For various generations as a new purchase, the Corvette ZR1 ((a $30,000 option in the day made this car expensive though), Porsche 928 GTS/Clubsport, Porsche GT3 Mk1, M11 and 997 GT3 (normally cheaper than the Turbo), Viper GTS GTS ACR (although that was a $10,000 option), C5 Z06, C6 Z06 any other suggestions?

There are ohters but they are significantly more expensive, and some others in that price range are significantly slower.

Does this make sense now?

Try not to turn this into "We hate the Corvette" thread if youpossibly can - but also try be realistic within the topic criteria.

Sports Car
Old 01-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
ViperASR
Regular User

here we go again with the Z06 is god :roll:

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR
here we go again with the Z06 is god :roll:
Really? In what way? I dont recall anyone ever saying that except you and few other pricks.

But anyway - back on topic.. we will, through logic arrive at the "best sports car buy" - that way there will be no argument about the outcome.

Unless you are now going to say budget, performance and usability have no place in a car choice?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
ViperASR
Regular User

you started this thread deliberatly to show that the Z06 is the best bang for the buck car around, which it probobly is. Hence the 0-60 in 4 sec reference and the top speed reference. There is no defenition for what a sports car is, my friend thinks his rents Merc C320 is a sport/luxury car. So there is no exact defenition for a sports car, a sports car is what you make it out to be.

On those lines, would you not consider the Honda S2000 a sports car because it dosnt go 170mph. Even the new M5 dosnt go 170mph in stock form, which is the car is required to be to be mentioned in this thread.

For the money and if I could only buy 1 car, I would probobly get an M3, be it the new one with a V8 or the I-6 one. However, I would rather divide the money and get 2 different cars, even though insurance would probobly be more expensive.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

I just read something interesting...

apparently the frontal lobe of the brain, where logical thought is created doesn't fully develop until you are in your mid-twenties. This might explain so many youngster's lack of logical comprehension...