Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #16
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I dont know if any american cars can compete with Scoobies and EVO's in that class or shall I say price range. I dont think many European cars can compete with EVO's and Scoobies prices and have equal performance either.

When price is an issue very few can beat Japan or Asia in general. Workforce in Asian countries is very cheap compared to others and this equals in quality build and cheap prices.

For one I'm not a lover of the so called "Pacific Muscle" or what ever its called today, but the fact is that build quality and reliability of those cars can not be beaten.

For America to builld cars of that quality they need to start paying twice as much, and invest twice as much in their engineering and assambly departaments.

American Muscle is dying... in the price range it can not match the quality of Japanies cars, and with all the rice shit becoming so popular with Fast and Furios and all that hollywood piss, the new generation(dont count me in) likes the 4bangers from Japan. So there are few muscle car inthusiasts left, and there isnt any new ones coming in....
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
snacky, i know that those are prices for NEW cars, but i meant USED cars, i've seen some corvettes under 19k$ on ebay,
There you said it corvette97, "gas mileage".
And that's something europeans will understand more than you americans. Here a litre of fuel costs about a €/$ .
i dont understand what you tried to say?? sorry
He means that gas and Europe and worldwide is becoming and is expensive, and we all know how thirsty those pushrod V8s are.

Plus in the next few years gas prices may skyrocket.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #18
corvette97
Regular User

American Muscle is dying...
there you go SFDMALEX...that's the big true, even tough is sad but true :cry: .....
Yes and thank you for bringing all this knowlegde to us, stupid people that doesnt know jack shit about cars. LOL.
YOU WELCOME
Old 01-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #19
corvette97
Regular User

I dont think many European cars can compete with EVO's and Scoobies prices and have equal performance either.
look into www.motortrend.com the EVO is competing against FERRARI, LAMBO, JAG, MERC, CORVETTE, the true is that japanese cars are becoming more powerful each new design, chanses are really low but some day in the future japanese cars are gonna take over muscle and exotics, sad but true again, but what they don't know is te prestige of a ferrari or a lambo....they can't beat that
Old 01-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #20
oldsnail
Regular User

i think japanese car makers has really advanced the small displacement engines. where the 4cyl are cheap, economical, lightweight, powerful and full of potential.
i guess thats ford answer with the focus.
ie. pumping 240bhp from a 2.0L 4cylinder non-aspirated engine is pretty impressive. (s2000)
Old 01-04-2004, 09:16 AM   #21
Leo_M3
Regular User

I personaly believe we're all in a bit of a period of time here.

You see, in the 60's there was the famous era of muscle cars, however now, we're in the era of people going around crazy in modded jap cars.

I mean nowa days (mind me, I live in Australia) we usualy see jappenese cars with "fart pipes" driving around with youngsters in them. How often do you see them in anything else? Ok, down here we still got a fair bit of that V8 rumble going around but I can feel it too.

Muscle cars are dying. But not to worry for you muscle car fans, we got the C6 Vette and 05' Mustang coming around. And I know some of you think our Aussie cars arent in the american spirit, but we have alot to contribute too, in the future.

Look at our FPV Falcon GT and our HSVs that may well one day be exported.
And look!!!!!! We already have our Monaro over there sold as the GTO.

The V8s shall return soon 8)

The Straightest Six.
Leo_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:17 AM   #22
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

corvette97 I think the Evo is another class than the Corvette and Mustang..Its like comparing a Dodge Neon to a Dodge Ram(Hypothetically)..The American Muscle car won't die.If there are heaps of Patrotic Americans, there always going to be American Muscle cars..Its a tradition just like our Aussie Muscle cars.I think the that the whole Import scene has become very comerical and very popular to younger buyers.There a plenty of hot rod and Street Customs show around the US that aren't dying.I think its because we are part of the playstation Generation these cars have become so popular.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #23
sickx
Regular User

Boys, the american muscle car will never die. Don't get me wrong--I am an import fanatic, but there is something to that low-rpm torque and rumble of displacement that is magical.

The GTO is essentially the the new "Firebird/Camaro" without the old names. Look for the actual names to be resurrected in a couple of years. Don't worry--the pony wars are far from over.
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:38 PM   #24
corvette97
Regular User

it's like this

10 years ago: ppl was interested on this 2 cars!

CAMARO VS. MUSTANG

today: ppl are interested in cars like this:

SUBARU STI VS. EVO 8.

i know that i cant be too general about this subject, cuz' there are many ppl totally in love with the muscle, but times are changing...

we usualy see jappenese cars with "fart pipes" driving around with youngsters in them.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL fart pipes, oh shit you make me laugh this time jajajaja
i see this pretty often
Old 01-04-2004, 06:38 PM   #25
sickx
Regular User

Muscle car wars still rage--Cobra vs. Vette, Z06vs.Viper, SRT-10 vs. Lightning, blah blah.

Actually, C97, you bring an interesting point--the *newage* pony wars may have just begun with the Sti/Evo escalation. In manufacturers' power wars, only good comes to us those of us who love cars!
Old 01-04-2004, 07:17 PM   #26
knitevulture
Regular User

anybody seen the hot rod magazine, where the mustang svt cobra takes on the wrx sti? they duke it out, no real winner, hot rod claims "TIE" i claim that american muscle went donw the drain right there and then.

american cars are fast, just dont ask em to turn.
knitevulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:57 PM   #27
jpatino03
Regular User

Ummm....The GTO is more than just the new Camaro/Firebird. It actually handles.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:02 PM   #28
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

Originally Posted by jpatino03
Ummm....The GTO is more than just the new Camaro/Firebird. It actually handles.
You can thank us Aussies for that...lol
Old 01-04-2004, 08:07 PM   #29
sickx
Regular User

JPATINO03--you've got a great point there-- WHAT? An F-body without a live rear axle?!!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM   #30
oldsnail
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
it's like this

10 years ago: ppl was interested on this 2 cars!

CAMARO VS. MUSTANG

today: ppl are interested in cars like this:

SUBARU STI VS. EVO 8.
but if you see what the mustang and camero had to offer compare to jap imports 10 years ago:

1994 Mustang 3.8L V6 145bhp
1994 Mustang 5.0L V8 215bhp
1994 Mustang 5.0L V8 240bhp
1994 Chev Camero 3.4L V6 160nhp
1994 Chev Camero 5.8L V8 275bhp

vs

1994 Honda Civic DelSol 1.8L I4 160hp
1994 Honda Prelude SR 2.3L I4 160bhp
1994 Honda Prelude SR 2.2L I4 190bhp
1994 Toyota MR2 2.0L I4T 225bhp
i mean, the 4cyl are lighter and cheaper.. and it can match the v6's and some V8's back then..
and when u compare the V8's the domestic have to some V6's, they dont really stand a chance.
1994 Toyota Supra 3.0L I6TT 320bhp
1994 Mitsu 3000gt/Gto V6TT AWD 300bhp
1994 Acura Nsx V6 290bhp

i mean, i am compareing with V6's with I4's.. and V8's with 6cyl's