Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
richardsonc
Regular User

Default lotus

what is the better lotus, the elise, or exige? i like the exige with the hardtop, but i just wanted some opinions, also which one can you soup up, i heard one could have a supercharger? i want the exige but with like 400 horses?
richardsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Zot09
Regular User

Old 02-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
gucom
Regular User

er...ur 16??? welcome to JW by the way. both can be "souped up" but not that easily, although there have been some factory exiges with a supercharger, exige and elise have the same engine so it shouldnt make any difference...i wonder how usable an elise or exige with 400 hp is tho... but then again i dont think ur gonna buy either soon...so keep dreaming (if im wrong correct me)
Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
richardsonc
Regular User

u might be wrong haha, im starting a business that i think will be profitable enough for a lotus, there not too expensive either....if i said ferrari or mclaren then id be nuts....
Old 02-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
richardsonc
Regular User

but which would be the better to choose for what id like to do?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
richardsonc
Regular User

and if im wrong at least i have something to put my mind to, and i have a picture of it everywhere, what u see is what u get....thats how my dad got his mercedes he had a pic on the refrigerator for a couple years when he was younger and he finally got the exact one same thing with his chevelle.....now hes got like 6 cars and i wanna start but with an exotic, he has more american.....cept for the benz....
Old 02-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
gucom
Regular User

ok cool, its good to have aspirations...here's a new 1 for u: to learn how to use the edit button
ok but jokes aside, i hope you're right, but if starting such profitable businesses were that easy every1'd be driving a lotus...which 1 is better depends on ur personal taste, do u value open driving on roads over a coupe thats suitable more for racetracks, or the other way round? either way, both cars are GREAT...so if u really do get the money to buy 1, you wont be sorry
BTW where do you live, and what kind of business would it be (general idea)?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
richardsonc
Regular User

in virginia in the usa, selling certain nike shoes, and lacoste polos
Old 02-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
richardsonc
Regular User

also im still living with my dad, so all my profit can go to the car because i wouldnt pay rent or bills or nething....for another year n a half.....
Old 02-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
bmwmpower
Regular User

Exige is real race car, radical ,pure and not very friendly as daily car,

Elise is sport car similar to mx5 or speedster, got rear wheel drive,excelent handling, low weight and so on, u should buy that S one , 0-160 under 10 seconds,

Btw do u have driving license ?
if not,lotus as first car is like trying to read book upside down, u know how, but somethink is wrong
try old one elise S1, is half that price, got less hp, 112, and buy proper new one
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
bmwmpower
Regular User

Exige is real race car, radical ,pure and not very friendly as daily car,

Elise is sport car similar to mx5 or speedster, got rear wheel drive,excelent handling, low weight and so on, u should buy that S one , 0-160 under 10 seconds,

Btw do u have driving license ?
if not,lotus as first car is like trying to read book upside down, u know how, but somethink is wrong
try old one elise S1, is half that price, got less hp, 112, and buy proper new one
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
Shinigami
Regular User

Which one is better...

Well, I've driven the Opel Speedster 2.2 which is basically an Elise, and I've had a go in an Exige.

The only problem is that I drove both cars at roughly an interval of 8-9 months, so it's hard to compare.

However, there is one thing which really takes both cars apart, and it's the roof.

As you know, you can remove the roof in the Elise. This is really cool if you like convertibles. I personally would buy an Elise over an Exige, simply because "I" prefer convertibles. I just like the sensation of the open air, the sunlight, the breeze...

But having said that, the Exige is slightly more poised, sticks to ground just a little better due to the downforce.

If you're driving on the highway at 80mph or faster, you may begin to experience light handing in an Elise. In the Exige, you'll stick down better, so you might prefer the Exige due to this aspect.

Apart from this, the two cars are very similar (you can find some info on comparisons between the two cars) and in "my" personal opinion, it's really a case of either open top, or closed top with 'slightly' better handling.

The engine in an Elise or an Exige is pretty much the same as far as I know. You can boost both of them to 240hp if you want, or beyond.

HOWEVER, if you really want to go to 400hp, then you'll be looking at major modifications! Remember, these cars are NOT light! With 400 hp at hand, you've got a mouthful at your fingertips! If you're 16 years old, I really, REALLY suggest you take it easy. A 400hp car that weighs less then a ton is really dangerous in some situations.

A lighter car may be easily swayed by cross winds. A light car tends to "follow the road" more. etc...

Take it easy man, a 190hp Elise or Exige is already faster then most cars on the road. Learn to drive this car first, and then go for faster speed. You will hurt yourself if you go for something that's too fast and too powerful before you've aquired enough experience behind the wheel.

Trust on me on this one.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
richardsonc
Regular User

i almost have license ive driven small sporty cars all the way to suvs to a rally car me n a friend have lol cheap POS, but yeah thats what i thought about was going fast that light, a simple turn or something in front of me makes me turn and im done.........and the exige does 160 in 10 seconds whatt i didnt know that thats nice
Old 02-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
godspeed06
Regular User

dude, i doubt youll even get insured. and youre selling nike and polos? sounds ingenious :roll:
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
TransAm
Regular User

Good luck!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote