Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
cho_888
Regular User

Default Mercedes E350

Hey guys its been along time since my last post, hopefully there are a few among you who remember me. Anyway my family is looking intoa new car and the E350 with the sports pack and other bells and whistles is the car in question. Has anyone had any experiences with the E-class? Also hows does it compare to the 5 series. as well as an S class that is a few years old?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Zot09
Regular User

I've driven the E350(non sports) a year ago, and I can tell you that the ride is very comfortable and quite, but it is not a S-class. My family owns a 03 S500, and the ride in the S-class is much more comfortable. But because of this comfort, you are going to pay in performance. The S-class is a boat, it really does stick out in a sea of cars due to it's huge size. Due to it's size, it is a bit of a slacker in the turns. On the other hand, the E-class has a good mixture of a sport-sedan/luxury cruiser. It's quite and smooth, yet it can still take a turn pretty well while keeping 5 passengers relatively comfortable. It all boils down to what your family is looking for; in my mind, the S-class and E-class are in two separate categories. If I was in your shoes, I would purchase the E350, just based on the fact that it is a brand new car. It'll hold it's value a bit better, and because it's new there is no previous owner that could have messed with the car. Anyways, best of luck in the choice, you can't go wrong with either.

PS, I believe there is a new E-class coming out in a year or two, maybe your parents may wish to hold back? Or they can take a dive into the new S550, that thing is a beauty. As for the 5-series, i've only ridden in the new M5, so I really can't tell you anything about the 530, etc.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Believe it or not my dad this summer test drove the Diesal version of it! (Infact we test drove alot of vechiles this summer.) I think the E350 CDI or something. It was very nice and not as loud as I was excepting. Very roomy from the inside. Has a huge gas tank...I think 22 gallons? Do get the diesal it has very good gas milage. My dad helf off on this car because my mom said nothing fancy like this until after winter which is when we will move into the newly built house. As for the old S classes my uncle has a 04 S500 I believe and its nice but I never drove it my dad probably has. Also I think if the E class were 4-5 grand cheaper it would be a very nice deal.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
cho_888
Regular User

thanks for that guys, a news s-class is another 50 grand over here. The E350 goes for about 130K. Has anyone seen spy shots of the new car?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
Zot09
Regular User

I haven't seen any spy shots of the new E-class, but one could assume that it will take on the styling of the new S-class. So if you like the new S-class, I don't think you will have to worry about the styling of the new E-class.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer
Also I think if the E class were 4-5 grand cheaper it would be a very nice deal.
It wouldn't be too difficult to get 4k off a new E-class by haggling with the dealer. When we purchased our last MBZ in 03, the MSRP was 98k, but we were able to bring it down to 92k. Persistence pays off hahaha
Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Mattk
Regular User

I think the 5 Series looks ugly, to be honest. For a family-ish car, the E-class would be a good choice. The S-Class seems a bit too extravagant and unnecessary. It seems your father wants a bit of performance as well, so the E would be preferable to the S.