Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #46
SHIZL
Regular User

spiffu you ever hear of a little company named roush or saleen they have a little trickle down from there racing probably more than ferrari. as for nascar thats about the only racing were allowed to watch on normal tv and im not paying for nascar tv even though it has a few other racing series on there if it was still speedvision then yes too bad its gone someone told me they were thinking of starting a new station
anyway i watch nascar there is some very competetive racing i just watch the last 50 laps as for advertising it sucks but oh well commericals suck too
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #47
Spiffu
Regular User

Speedtv = nascartv, i.e. 90% of the programming. Every couple weeks an F1 or ALMS race is shown, but in general, every day every other timeslot on speed tv has the word nascar in it. Back when it was speed vision we had WRC, touring car races, and a lot more variety. When Fox bought it, it all went to hell.

Ironically they can't show the races anymore. TNTHD, FoxHD, and ESPN2HD have the rights to them.

ALMS, Indy, and a few other series are on ABC, NBC, and ESPN. As long as you have basic cable you can see them.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 AM   #48
79TA
Regular User

Every now and then Speed gets it right and shows an interesting less publicized race. The Speed World Challenge was designed for that, but one would never know that given how little the Speed channel promotes it on its own airwaves. Yes, there is too much NASCAR programming on Speed, no doubt about it.

At any rate, I'm content with NASCAR's lack of fancier engines for now. Forced induction seems unnecessary given how many ways one can make insane power from 350 cubic inches of engine. Carberation isn't offensive to me. In some cases, its preferred for power over fuel injection. All the technology would be nice and showy, but it would do little for the performance or racing. It seems NASCAR doesn't want its cars getting any faster (ie restrictor plates and the new fatter cars) so raw power and overall speed don't require anything extra.

While driver weight isn't as important in NASCAR as in F1 where the driver makes up a greater percentage of the mass, I always do wonder why teams don't stress fitness more. Subway hasn't done much for Tony Stewart.

The only reason NASCAR is sooo covered in sponsorship is because it is successful and mainstream. It's just the sad side effect of success. This is another reason why ALMS is my favorite series.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #49
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Subway hasn't done much for Tony Stewart.
Eating 10 sandwiches for a meal doesn't really work as a diet.

Has anyone seen how Juan Pablo is these days though? He's massive!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #50
Spiffu
Regular User

And they're all meatball sandwiches.

Someone find a before and after of Pablo F1 to Nascar shots.

He probably can't fit in an F1 car now.

Signup regulations for Nascar drivers:

Ages: 17 - 70 years old
Height: 5'2" - 6'8"
Weight: 120 - 320 lbs

Bring your cup holder.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #51
SHIZL
Regular User

it isnt a dog and pony show,tony stewart is there to drive he isnt the normal groomed shutlip redneck he can drive alot of different shit and now he is going back to chevy badass highest paid driver in nascar now. u got to love how he treats the media alot of other drivers through out the world could learn alot from him kimi showed it a little the other week. i think the more weight they have on that left side the better they turn left haha

Last edited by SHIZL; 07-14-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: miss spelled
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #52
arguapacha
Regular User

I would dare (in my infinite lack of knowledge on the subject) that F1 technology applied in normal cars is much much more subtle... stuff like research on materials, tire components, tire structures, fuel consumption, etc could find an easier way to road cars, although of course other series, like WRC and Endurance could give a lot more in the close future. Nascar, on the other hand, well... I do not find there something interesting, except hamburgers.
arguapacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #53
Mattk
Regular User

^Well the premise of NASCAR is not to be high-tech. Not much that can be applied in regular cars because the competition cars themselves are fairly regular, being based on street cars.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #54
kestrel
Regular User

hello from the uk please seed nascar series 2008 sprint cup and nationwide series for 2008
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #55
kestrel
Regular User

you think nascar is so bad you try pushing a car round a track at 170 mph and see who bottle drops and then accelerating to 206 miles per hours still pushing the guy infront of you then drop in down the track to take the lead and dropping speed to 196 mph doing laps at 17 seconds rather watch that than and f1 cars go round a track in a train formation after half of the race you dont see F1 cars finnishing on the finnish line 3 and 4 a breast at 196 mph
Old 07-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #56
silentm
Regular User

well quite drankly then what's the whole point of doing 300 laps? nascar is definately the most boring sport in the world to watch. i mean maybe aside from curling, but i can't decide
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #57
HeilSvenska
Regular User

^Why do we have 24 Hours of Le Mans?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #58
silentm
Regular User

nah that's beside the point. and are you trying to argument with that half assed/biased view of mine?
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #59
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Meh. Arguing's fun.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #60
kestrel
Regular User

v8 supercars are evern worse if you dont like train racing information nose to tail the v8 supercars do exactly the same the only was to pass is out brake the guy in front and that normaly means a crash and they both run off track - v8 suprecars races are won in the qualifing rounds as who ever gets pole wins 9 out of 10 races
at least with nascar you can over take safely to take the lead even if it is with a guy behind you pushing you and at 190 mph to 206 mph