Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
espen
Regular User

There are some currency issues involved here (dollar has becom extremely weak against our curtrency lately), but if you're a useful programmer right out of school I would expect to make around €40.000 / $65.000 her - more if you're into SAP. If you are good enough to do consultancy, three times that fully booked 7,5 hr days at an average rate.
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #17
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by espen
There are some currency issues involved here (dollar has becom extremely weak against our curtrency lately), but if you're a useful programmer right out of school I would expect to make around €40.000 / $65.000 her - more if you're into SAP. If you are good enough to do consultancy, three times that fully booked 7,5 hr days at an average rate.
Where is it that you live again?

What are the tax rates in the EU though? I know the UK had a 22% + 30% system IIRC. I have no idea what it is in the US because I remember hearing that it differs from state to state.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #18
graywolf624
Regular User

I have no idea what it is in the US because I remember hearing that it differs from state to state.
State to state and federal by income level.

General good guideline would probably be about 35 percent total for both. I'd say 40 worst case if you make alot and you live in communefornia.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #19
espen
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT

What are the tax rates in the EU though? I know the UK had a 22% + 30% system IIRC. I have no idea what it is in the US because I remember hearing that it differs from state to state.
I live in Norway. Salaries here are good because there is a shortage of skilled workers, and because taxes are high. And of course there is the oil At the level suggested here, you can expect to pay roughly a third of your gross income in income tax, increasing as pay grows. I pay rather more.

Income tax is higher than in other countries, but relatively speaking we are doing well. Buying power is strong compared to EU average and all norwegians have free health services, free education, five weeks paid vacation (- unless you are a consultant paid by the hour of course) and so on. My wife is currently in the middle of a years maternity leave with full pay.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:38 AM   #20
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT

I live in Norway. Salaries here are good because there is a shortage of skilled workers, and because taxes are high. And of course there is the oil At the level suggested here, you can expect to pay roughly a third of your gross income in income tax, increasing as pay grows. I pay rather more.

Income tax is higher than in other countries, but relatively speaking we are doing well. Buying power is strong compared to EU average and all norwegians have free health services, free education, five weeks paid vacation (- unless you are a consultant paid by the hour of course) and so on. My wife is currently in the middle of a years maternity leave with full pay.
That's cool. Reminds me of England, but probably without all the nannying.

graywolf624: I believe NYC stings you pretty bad as well. Also Boston. My current partner (who also just does consultancy work now) is thinking of moving, so I'm wondering if it's a good idea to move abroad, or just to pull in foreign clients.

We're thinking of Vegas though.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #21
espen
Regular User

I've lived in Nevada and spent some time in Las Vegas back then. I thiink you should visit Vegas and spend some time there befor deciding to settle there. Even in the most diplomatic of terms, it's not as great a place to actually live in as it is to visit. Consider that the entire city exists only to attract tourists.

Personally, I thought northern Nevada with Reno and Lake Tahoe was much nicer, both people-wise and nature-wise. My favorite area must be Oregon; I enjoyed working in Eugene a lot. Great place, more liad back, friendly people everywhere. Even if you don't actually get to pump your own gas
Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #22
Sir_GT
Regular User

I've lived in Nevada and spent some time in Las Vegas back then. I thiink you should visit Vegas and spend some time there befor deciding to settle there. Even in the most diplomatic of terms, it's not as great a place to actually live in as it is to visit. Consider that the entire city exists only to attract tourists.

Personally, I thought northern Nevada with Reno and Lake Tahoe was much nicer, both people-wise and nature-wise. My favorite area must be Oregon; I enjoyed working in Eugene a lot. Great place, more liad back, friendly people everywhere. Even if you don't actually get to pump your own gas
You don't get to pump your own gas in the Philippines either.

I did visit LV before, and stayed at one of the suburbs. I'm actually very much a city person (I need convenience stores like 711 near me all the time, because I have a habit of impulse-buying). I actually did enjoy my stay, but yeah, I know what you mean between the difference of visiting and staying.

Northern Nevada doesnt sound that bad. Never been to Reno and Lake Tahoe, but I'm willing to check it out if it's nice. All things considered, cheap housing and a good amount of regular clients looking for IT work (web and database programming) are paramount, that's why I thought of Vegas, because as you said, all their business comes from tourism, so... advertising + info about their business is a must.