Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default The Solstice gets another shot: 2008 Solstice GXP

Last week I happened by the local Pontiac dealer where I spied a number of Solstices, including 3 GXP (turbo) models. Being I am currently in a lull as I have just accepted a new job and am still winding down my current one, I decided it was time to restart the reviews. First out of the gate, after the easy rental review, is this car: A black 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP.

Now to get things started I can probably skip most of the formalities about the lack of storage space, the horribly complex top, or the fact that the roof looks like it could leak. Again nothing has changed for these from the 06 base model I reviewed about 5 months ago. The interior has some minor changes of course, including the seats that are embroidered with the GXP logo, but overall there isn't much difference. The quality of materials is somewhere in the middle but the interior is still super cramped and definitely not for the claustrophobic.

The one interesting thing given the bhp boost is you get a nice mpg boost if thats your thing, though I somehow doubt it will be observable in the real world if you drive this car (wink wink nudge nudge). The formalities that none of you really care about out of the way, how does it drive?

If you recall the last Solstice I drove I was stuck with the Automatic based on availability. I am happy to report this time I actually got a hold of the 5 speed. That being said I wasn't entirely happy with the manual setup, though part of this may be the nut behind the wheel. For one, the shifter was up about chest level. I know its closer to the wheel but I have never been super comfortable with having my stick in this location. I end up feeling like I am sitting on the floor in a pseudo coffin. Perhaps they are preparing you for your fate when you meet the soccer mom in her SUV on the highway.

The stick is short, stubby, and recessed into the dash. The throws are quite short, making for quick changes. The one thing I did not like about the shifter was the distance between 2-4 on the shifter. I'm sure with time I would get use to finding the correct gear, but on my short test drive I managed to miss 4th and hit 2nd, not all together a pleasant experience.

Which brings us to the acceleration. The minute I hit second the tires chirped and away we went. In the correct rev range this is a quick car for a inexpensive convertible. Was I happy with the power? Well no... I'm use to much more bhp and this just wasn't cutting it. Would I steer people away from this car based on it's power? NO! There is some ever so slight turbo lag at lower gears and this is definitely a car you have to stick in the power range, but it's just missing the torque I'm use too. When you launch this car the clutch engages rather abruptly. After the initial turbo lag away we go, but once you get to about 3rd gear the car seems to run out of gas.

The car retains, and actually improves, on its turning responsiveness. The little bit of slop in the last car is all but nonexistent. Moreover going around a 30mph turn at 60 mph the car sits absolutely stable with no roll whatsoever. I felt the same way going around the corner in this car as I feel in a straight line in most regular cars, no body roll at all.

None of these findings are all that surprising. When reading reviews of the car I have found similar opinions. The one thing I did hear, that I did not experience, was that at the limit everything unravels about the GXP. Obviously I'm not going to play around the limit on the street. Still this is a bit concerning in a car that tosses out practicality(storage, comfort, etc) in the name of handling.

A second area of concern I hear is over the brakes. Despite a not insignificant increase in the weight of the car, there has been no increase in rotor size. The result? Well in my tests the car stops fine, but I hear the brakes fade quick on the track.

Where does this leave my impressions of the car? Well, I think if your looking for a fun street car with a convertible top for the weekends, your going to have a tough time beating this car. If your looking for a track car, a tourer, or a car that slams you back into your seat... look elsewhere.