Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-19-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
pimrusis
Regular User

Default Lincoln LS

It is a wonderful car! However, it makes a whining noise thats especially noticable at 3000 rpm or so. Any ideas? It looks like the airbox has been fiddled with.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
mhn3773
Regular User

sometimes cars make a whining noise because the little rubber hose on intake has been taken off or has slipped off...its hard to desribe some cars have a rubber house from the valve cover(i think not sure) back to the intake that can make a whining whistlin howling noise sometimes can sound like an air horn lol

make sure all hoses are in place and that all nipples have a hose or are capped off around the intake and top of the engine

im not even remotly positive that that could be whats happening but its easy enough to check
mhn3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
sickx
Regular User

Need to be more specific here-- where is the whine coming from--does it slightly oscillate with RPMs? What sort of whine--high pitched (like air), or lower pitched (like a gear).
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
sickx
Regular User

BTW, back when I was in Dearborn, I got to drive a LS-R prototype, with supercharged V-8, slammed suspension, and full roll-cage interior--that thing was a (large) go-kart!
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
TypeLT
Regular User

I drove an LS quite a few times, one think that always annoyed me is that I could never figure out how to start in 1st gear. It seemed like after awhile it would let me shift to first from a dead stop, other times not. What was with that?

1986 944 Turbo
TypeLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

id imagine the whine is a a/c pump problem, although it will continue working, they often (when problematic) cause a wine... id have to know more about the noise to make a better judgment. i doubt its just loose blets, or in the air box as it doesnt charge the air at a high enough rate to cause a compression/rarefaction resonance.
hope it helps
Old 01-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
zevolv
Regular User

Originally Posted by mhn3773
sometimes cars make a whining noise because the little rubber hose on intake has been taken off or has slipped off...its hard to desribe some cars have a rubber house from the valve cover(i think not sure) back to the intake that can make a whining whistlin howling noise sometimes can sound like an air horn lol

make sure all hoses are in place and that all nipples have a hose or are capped off around the intake and top of the engine

im not even remotly positive that that could be whats happening but its easy enough to check
That hose from the valve cover is called the PCV (positive crank ventilation) valve.

BTW: alot of times the whine is the actual intake if there isn't a very strong silencer on it it's noticeable more with an aftermarket intake on larger engines.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
id imagine the whine is a a/c pump problem, although it will continue working, they often (when problematic) cause a wine... id have to know more about the noise to make a better judgment. i doubt its just loose blets, or in the air box as it doesnt charge the air at a high enough rate to cause a compression/rarefaction resonance.
hope it helps
wow, look at this Noob!

pwnnnnned!