Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #121
mit5005
Regular User

I would have to say the GT2. The cs is a great car but I would rather own a regular 6 speed than a f1 style. The GT2 would be the most fun for me because its almost like a race cause its 6 speed and rwd, i know the other ones have it but Porsche is known for their great engines. And who could go wrong with a flat 6 tt capable of 196 mph.
mit5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:55 PM   #122
kompak
Regular User

i would go for stradale
of course, underneath pretty body everything had to be toughened up. The driveshaft are made from granite, the computer-guided suspension has been re-programmed and you have a sort of brakes...used to stop tanks. - Jeremy Clarkson reviews on Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG

kompak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:15 PM   #123
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

Originally Posted by Keessie20
Must be the Ferrari !! Screaming engine
The gallardo made by audi :S and 4x4
The Merc still stays a merc. to heavy
Porsche will be my second choice !
yeap same here...

Challenge Stradale all the way for me!

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:54 PM   #124
jorge
Regular User

the SL55 is incredible, altough being automatic it´s a little different from the others. The Ferrari is the best!
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #125
vento95gl
Regular User

hands down the challenge stradale. it sounds sooo sweet

a.k.a. Il Ferrarista

vento95gl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #126
nickstones
Regular User

Default Gallardo

Well, I haven't driven the Porsche; but I have driven the other two. I ended up buying the gallardo! Its faster, more a daily driver, and its looks are great. I love the 360 look and power, but the gallardo was just too much. The Porsche is great I'm sure; however, as an exotix, it just doesn't match up. Gallardo hands down!
nickstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:50 PM   #127
meetmeroundthecorner
Regular User

The 360 Challenge stradale all day long!!! 8) My best mate (i wonder why :roll: ) first bought an sl55 and has now got delivery of his new gallardo. Neither impressed me that much for certain reasons. The gallardo sounds like a motorbike, and also has a lot of burning smells consistently. The sl55 is a fine car if your about 2 retire on your pension. The porsche is a poor mans ferrari, in which case the F360 CS is the modern day F40 with a natural aspirated engine, but still a poor mans Enzo !!
I live literally down the road from a local Maranello Ferrari Dealership , so naturally i hear and see all sorts of ferrari's hurtling up and down the road, nothing compares to a Ferrari F50 v12 NA engine screaming down the road!!!!!

PS. Gallardo is just a overblown Audi!!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #128
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by meetmeroundthecorner
The porsche is a poor mans ferrari, in which case the F360 CS is the modern day F40

Are you sure about that? A CGT is harldy 'poor'. A 996 Turbo, is not exactly cheap wither, or a GT2, or a GT3 for that matter. In fact, Porsche and poor, don't really go together IMO.

Fair enough if you don;t like Porsche, but they are not a poor man's Ferrari!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:10 PM   #129
meetmeroundthecorner
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
The porsche is a poor mans ferrari, in which case the F360 CS is the modern day F40

Are you sure about that? A CGT is harldy 'poor'. A 996 Turbo, is not exactly cheap wither, or a GT2, or a GT3 for that matter. In fact, Porsche and poor, don't really go together IMO.

Fair enough if you don;t like Porsche, but they are not a poor man's Ferrari!
I'll partially agree with you there. Firstly, Porsche is second fiddle to Ferrari when it comes to prestige, motor sport, well in fact quite a lot. Secondly, Porsche rely on turbos to produce maximum power from an engine where as ferrari create the most meatiest engines bhp per litre by means of just natural aspiration. A true sports car manufacturer!! The top of the range porsche only compares to a low down stock F360 which in my case just shows my point.
Its not that i don't like Porsche, but if your going to buy a sports car like that you might as well buy a true sports car like a ferrari!!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:30 PM   #130
jon_s
Regular User

A GT3 surely compares with a 360CS? I take your points, I am a huge fan of Ferrari, I just think that if you buy a Porsche you are looking for a different thing in a car that someone who purchases a Ferrari.

In terms of HP, it is not all down to bhp figures, Ferrari certainly have an edge, but Porsche are not exactly underpowered:

GT3: 3600cc, 375bhp, 272bhp/ton
360 CS:3586cc, 420bhp, 333bhp/ton
CGT: 5733cc, 604bhp,445bhp/ton
Enzo: 5998cc, 650bhp,484bhp/ton

but on a torque front, they are more evenly matched:

GT3: 284lb/ft
306CS: 275lb/ft
CGT: 435lb/ft
Enzo: 485lb/ft
Old 04-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #131
bmwfreak
Regular User

POrsche and Ferrari are manufacturers in their own right, with neither of them playing second fiddle to anyone, or each other. For what its worth, I;d take the 360CS (David Vivian in Autocar UK said the M3 CSL actually meant M3 "Challenge Stradale Lite").

I thought htis thread died ages ago?

^Home.

///M

God's gift to the driver.
bmwfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:20 PM   #132
nthfinity
Regular User

Gallardo and the Gt2. Ferrari is way overrated. They just dynoed one, and it makes no more power than a stock 360, and its weight is heavier than quoted.
hmm, do you have any proof of this source, or is this just speaking out of your bum?

its a tough decision for me between the GT2 and the 360 CS... these two are also much closer in price to eachother then the lambo contender.

after a grueling decision... i will opt for the GT2 because of its gearbox (its a stick... faster shifts, and im in more control which is important anyway)
Old 04-12-2004, 10:31 PM   #133
meetmeroundthecorner
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
after a grueling decision... i will opt for the GT2 because of its gearbox (its a stick... faster shifts, and im in more control which is important anyway)
There is no way on earth a stick is faster than ferraris latest f1 paddle shift or for that matter lambos e-gear. On top of the quick change, u don't even have to lift off the accelerator.
Control wise, u have full control over the f1 style gears, just takes a little getting used 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #134
nthfinity
Regular User

There is no way on earth a stick is faster than ferraris latest f1 paddle shift or for that matter lambos e-gear. On top of the quick change, u don't even have to lift off the accelerator.
Control wise, u have full control over the f1 style gears, just takes a little getting used 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes there is a way, unless the shift gate is broken, or the gearbox has SERIOUS mechanical issues. in the hands of average, advanced, or professional drivers, proper manuels are faster shifts.

the only place i know where this isnt true is F1, and rally electro-hydrolic sequential gearboxes, where they depend on immediate shifts, and such a low amount of engine mass requires the rotational mass to slow over less time, versus road cars in which this isnt as strong a catagory. where F1 shifts are the best in road cars is Down shifts for the same reason... engine power to increase the engine revs is much quicker then idle throttle through computer controls to drop the revs.

have you ever head of power shifting? you simply cannot do this in a sequential gearbox.

since the downshifts are better, and essentially guarenteed, they say the sequential box is better for a track.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #135
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Sreriously though, do you think that a mili second here or there is going to make a difference to the average driver? For me one of the most evocative aspects of a Ferrari is the manual box. There is nothing like it, in any other car, period. The clunk-click-clunk as you change gear is part of driving a Ferrari. I think that getting a Ferrari with an F1 style gear box is almost a sin. There was some footage of a bloke on the gumball rally who was boasting about how quick the gear change was, just a shame that he could not drive to match.