Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-07-2005, 02:27 AM   #106
666fast
Regular User

Not like you can exploit your cars ability on the street
Sure you can, just gotta be willing to pay the price if something happens.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #107
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Not like you can exploit your cars ability on the street. Therefore if you build some 600bhp car you have no choice but to take it to the track in order to get anything out of that power, or else you just waist your time and money.

You dont need a supercharged Vette for a 100mph cruise speed down the highway.
So what's the point of an Enzo then?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:28 AM   #108
pharzo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Not like you can exploit your cars ability on the street. Therefore if you build some 600bhp car you have no choice but to take it to the track in order to get anything out of that power, or else you just waist your time and money.

certainly not to be modded up to be acceptable

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #109
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pharzo

Tell that to Ferrari - they apparently feel it is a pussy car and needed to be modded to the FXX level
Old 07-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #110
pharzo
Regular User

Tell that to Ferrari - they apparently feel it is a pussy car and needed to be modded to the FXX level
yes well tells you something about the company when they decide 651 hp isn't "quite enough"

RC45 about the Z06:
Old 07-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #111
RC45
Regular User

yes well tells you something about the company when they decide 651 hp isn't "quite enough"
Exactly - and the Corvette bran dis not a "company" - it is but a single car - it is therefore up to the Corvette enthusiast community to extract the best from "our" car

I can think of 7 C5 Z06 drivers in Houston, for whom 600rwhp (not 600 crank HP ) is not enough - and have had their cars massaged and scratched to cure the itch

Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #112
pharzo
Regular User

Exactly - and the Corvette bran dis not a "company" - it is but a single car - it is therefore up to the Corvette enthusiast community to extract the best from "our" car

I can think of 7 C5 Z06 drivers in Houston, for whom 600rwhp (not 600 crank HP ) is not enough - and have had their cars massaged and scratched to cure the itch

Ahh but by analogue Enzo is also not not a "company"

Chevrolet is who makes your car...you know...daewoo

But anyway...Ferrari is well known for not compromising on cars...they put enough power in every car to match the chassis, and make the car well balanced. Obviously this is possible for them as they are a low volume manufacturer...but you have to pay the price for a ferrari. Corvette's in recent years have gotten to be great cars, not "uhh, it's great for america!!11" but actually great cars. If the community feels a bigger powerplant is needed, so be it...as long as you upgrade the handling as well

People seem to be against this whole modding thing on this forum...but for a car like the vette it only makes sense. After all, daewoo have to make 25,000 of these a year Obviously they can't spend as much time on them as Ferrari would on an Enzo...but because they make so many the vette has spawned a large community dedicated to making vette even better than daewoo ever could

RC45 about the Z06:
Old 07-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #113
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

this coming from the ferrari moderator? you sound like my mother according to the argument "you can never use all that power on the street" we should all be driving 1.8L 4 cylinder engines (maybe a few 3.0L V6 for the SUVs and mercedes ). thats plenty big enough of an engine to get you up to 70-80mph which is the speed limit in the US, even 100mph. anything past that is just useless and a waste of money right?

its all about having something that not many other people have on the street, being original. being able to run (with what you brung ) with whoever comes next to you on the street. its because there is always someone out there with something faster. its the feeing in your stomach of being pinned back in your seat from a mountain of torque that wont end. thats why you mod.

sure you dont "need" a blown vette for a 100mph cruise down the highway, but you may need it if there is a ferrari pulling up behind you who wants to do a 110mph cruise down the highway.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #114
SFDMALEX
Regular User

What Kinda question is that? To have the closest expriance to an F1 you can have on the track.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #115
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09

this coming from the ferrari moderator? you sound like my mother according to the argument "you can never use all that power on the street" we should all be driving 1.8L 4 cylinder engines (maybe a few 3.0L V6 for the SUVs and mercedes ). thats plenty big enough of an engine to get you up to 70-80mph which is the speed limit in the US, even 100mph. anything past that is just useless and a waste of money right?

its all about having something that not many other people have on the street, being original. being able to run (with what you brung ) with whoever comes next to you on the street. its because there is always someone out there with something faster. its the feeing in your stomach of being pinned back in your seat from a mountain of torque that wont end. thats why you mod.

sure you dont "need" a blown vette for a 100mph cruise down the highway, but you may need it if there is a ferrari pulling up behind you who wants to do a 110mph cruise down the highway.
I dont race on the street, I wont race on the street. When I am alone, concentrating on my driving, doing a 100-110mph cruise down the highway I dont need an uber supercar with 600bhp. All I need is 360, a stock Z06 or an M3, or some Porker. If I drive a four banger then there will always be somebody faster I still want that Ferrari noise, handling and power, but sorry Ill keep my Enzo for the track.

Dont get me wrong, I sure as hell want one, but Im not going to be driving my Enzo @100 on the highway, it's a sin, it should be double that So If I had some blown Vette or an Enzo I'd sit in it, and drive it to Mosport which is an hour and a half outside the city.

A car from a marque like Ferrari or Porsche leaves the factory and it should not be touched. It's balance is just right, its power/torque curves are what the engineers intended them to be.

When you take a Vette and stick 300 extra BHP in it you tottaly kill the cars balance, very much like these high powered miatas.

If you are going to take the car to the limit(sorry highway and street runs dont apply) with all that extra power you better have worked on the chassis, on the gearbox and the rest.

Now tell me, why not just get a different car if your going to change half the stock parts anyway?

I just dont fucking get it sorry. Cars have categories for a reason.

The Z06 is a fine well balanced sports car. It has the ability to keep up with many cars in its power range,it doesnt need anything more. The C5 race chassis at least are praised to be some of the best in that they are easy to drive and half great balance.

By blowing that Z06 all you do is just kill a fine sports car. If your not looking for a well balanced sports car buy a Saleen S7.

Someone will tell me now "but how expensive the S7 is" well if your argument is that you want hyper car perfomance from your Vette then you will need to spend as much on that car as you would on a stock S7. And in the end what do you have? A Vette trying to be something its not.

Its like Koenig making these 700bhp 360s.......That is the most retarted thing I ever heard. The max that 360 chassi can handel still keeping the same balance would be 25bhp, beyond that you would have to stiffen it up.

So all this hardcore modding is useless to me. 100bhp max over stock, and that would most likely be pushing the envelope.

And guys, if GM thought the Vette needed an extra 100bhp they'd make that 100bhp, in this day an age its possible, and clearly not hard from what you guys are saying, that the Vette can achieve that with some bolt ons.

My opinion, dont try to argue it. In my view this over the board modding is stupid.

Ill have my STOCK F430 daily driver and my STOCK Enzo track machine. THank you, that'll be all.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #116
RC45
Regular User

^^ Poser

THank you, that'll be all.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #117
SFDMALEX
Regular User

^^ Poser

THank you, that'll be all.

Now you fucking piss me off. Poser fucking what?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #118
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Reply dammit, I got places to go.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #119
666fast
Regular User

A car from a marque like Ferrari or Porsche leaves the factory and it should not be touched
Then why do Porsche themselves offer upgrades such as the X50 pack?

Now tell me, why not just get a different car if your going to change half the stock parts anyway?
Because it's part of American car culture. Modding cars is abosultely nothing new. My grandfather used to tell me about his hotrodding days.

By blowing that Z06 all you do is just kill a fine sports car.
Not if you are willing to "re-balance" the car. Which I'm sure most people do. Don't forget, drag racing is huge business here.

Anyone hear about the guy in Germany sueing Ferrari because his 360CS isn't as fast as claimed?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #120
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

My opinion, dont try to argue it.
aw hell, thats the fun of a message board isnt it?

A car from a marque like Ferrari or Porsche leaves the factory and it should not be touched. It's balance is just right, its power/torque curves are what the engineers intended them to be.
Its like Koenig making these 700bhp 360s.......That is the most retarted thing I ever heard. The max that 360 chassi can handel still keeping the same balance would be 25bhp, beyond that you would have to stiffen it up.
pretty much agreed

Someone will tell me now "but how expensive the S7 is" well if your argument is that you want hyper car perfomance from your Vette then you will need to spend as much on that car as you would on a stock S7.

And in the end what do you have? A Vette trying to be something its not.
you definitly dont need to spend 400,000 dollars to make your vette up to supercar levels. how does supercharging a vette throw the dynamics of the car out of wack. yes you need supporting mods but they are well within reasonable price. i am pretty sure a blown Z06 handles much like a stock one (just make sure to save up for some tires ) does and is just fine with an extra 150hp. and now it has the power to keep up with almost anything in the straights. plus some people are passionate about certain makes or models, so they want to make them the best they can be.

and as for even lower models like a mustang or camaro, those cars dont have well engineered chassis dynamics and balance to begin lol (well comparitively to higher end cars) so you are not really throwing anything out of balance hehe, except for the transmission

some people cant afford F430s, but still want to experience that level of performance and can afford a used 2002 z06 and a blower for it, so i dont see the problem with wanting to make your car faster.

even on a different scale, some people cant afford a C5 Z06, but can afford a 03 cobra with intake and exhaust some cant afford a 03 cobra but can afford an older 5.0L and so on.....you get what i am saying