Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #76
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
But knowing Clarkson, he'll love it. It's vulgar as vulgar can get.
Actually he didn't like it (if I remember correctly). It was on TG one or two episodes ago.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #77
callen
Regular User

Fall of 05 seems a reasonable date for completion. i dont think there is any way this car is going to hit 200 mph in 14 seconds. 6 seconds of the time of the ferrari F1? impossibly, nearly half the time of the almighty Macca? not nearly.i expect it to do it in 24 seconds or so, and it will not "thrust" to 250mph like a jet plane as this article says it will. I expect it to lose its battle with the wind by 190mph or so, but still a very serious machine, lets hope it lives up to the hype, its gonna be a tough one to live down if it doesnt.

edit: top speed of 242 seems reasonable in my eyes.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:16 PM   #78
Sir_GT
Regular User

It'll never work.

Its too heavy, and the aerodynamics are poor.

So what if it has 1001 horsepower. Quadcam turbo? Imagine the weight of the engine alone, then throw in the weight of the special DSG and the weight of the transmission to hold the power. Then the weight of the chassis, the body shell, the seats, the brakes, etc. etc. etc.

I could go on and on.

Honestly, for a car to "rocket" to the speed they're claiming, it has to be somewhat shaped like an F1 car in order for the wind resistance to be kept to an absolute minimum while downforce to a maximum. The bugatti is shaped like a thick turd, and has the same aerodynamic qualities as such.

The only way it would be possible for it to reach the claimed speed while retaining the shape is to build the ENTIRE thing out of carbon fibre. Including the nuts, bolts, cylinder heads, turbos, exhaust, transmission, gearbox, seats, chassis, body, hell even the steering wheel and it's mechanisms should be in CF as well. But even then, the shape would cause lift at high speed anyway, making it impossible to transfer the power onto the road. And with everything built out of CF, it'll surely cost much much much more than GBP800,000.

Mark my words: The Veyron will be the biggest blunder in the history of automobiles.