Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: Can money buy you happiness?
Yes 43 62.32%
No 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2004, 05:57 AM   #76
Copso
Regular User

Originally Posted by ambry
Sure money can buy things that make you happy. But I think the most important aspect is it buys you the freedom to spend your time pursuing your own idea of happiness - instead of spending your time trying to meet your daily necessities.
I couldn't possibly have said that it in a better way

"I disagree to Voltaire's idea about the right of every single person to express anything... There are certain opinions that should be censored out of sheer stupidity" ----> Fernando Savater
Copso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #77
initiala4
Regular User

Damn...a few people here seemed to have this question reflected upon them. For me, money can buy happiness. Think of the times that you can get money to buy your favorite car, house, or even mod it...gadgets. Perhaps also another way is..you wouldnt have to worry about bills. That is the case say if you are wanted to be solo or something like that depending on people...until you have everthing you ever wanted, money wouldnt give you happiness. It really depends on how you feel it.

Thats my give...goodluck
initiala4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #78
jinxed84
Regular User

i wouldnt say money can "buy" happiness, but it can sure lead to it. it opens doors to happiness, wether it be you getting a nice new enzo, or a cool house to work on, or a big boat to sail the seas. yes it cant buy love, but i think if you are happy enough in life thats a very attractive quality for women and it may lead to you meeting someone you like. so can it buy happiness? No. can it lead to it? Certainly.

good luck on your essay.
hope i could help
jinxed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #79
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

u think it can till a point... it can give you all the things you want.. cars (!!) houses, etc... and that will make anyone happy.. but sometimes you need more then that.. so my answer is yes, till a point...

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #80
black_magician
Regular User

I've heard you can't get hapiness from money. but ya know what?
Money buys me a Mclaren F1 which is directly proportional to happiness.

simple math.
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #81
ulti3mat
Regular User

I've thought about this subject before...I came to the conclusion that money can't buy you happiness...It might make you feel great at first but it won't keep you happy for the rest of your life...that's my opinion
Old 02-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #82
PennStateFSAE
Regular User

Well, not having money can be pretty bad when you have no resources (like the poor in africa) or have little effect on your happiness, like the amish. The amish take as much enjoyment out of riding in a horse and buggy as we do ripping though the gears in a exotic car. I think that at the extremes (too rich or too poor) life can be pretty unhappy, if you life revolves around money it sucks but if you can eat it sucks. But of course there are exceptions all over the place.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #83
zevolv
Regular User

I must say in some instances yes money does buy you happiness but it doesn't get you real friends that's why I don't ever flaunt my money most of my friends were suprised to find out I had money although my School was all rich kids mostly. Hell I drove an 7 year old car to school almost everyday. I can say that my girlfriend definitely didn't go out with me for the money. So in that case no money doesn't really buy you happiness but Damn I must say the material possesions do make me smile alot.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #84
crasherror
Regular User

I think that money alone cannot bring happiness. Say you had all the money you could ever dream about and had no one to help share in your wealth. You would feel empty an hollow inside. no real sene of internal self worth. It seems to me that the world has a view that peoples only measure is their bank account, rather than their charter. So i feel that money alone will never bring you happiness. I would rather look back at my life and see the relationships i have formed with many friends, rather than look back and se a huge collection of stuff.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:26 PM   #85
BaseRSX

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
NO FUCKING WAY! NO MOTHERFUCKING WAY! True happyines does not come from material things!
Yeah that!
BaseRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:34 AM   #86
nchs09

Money can get happines to an extent. everything has its limits of course. you can have all the things in the world and still fill empty. but in the other hand you could have everything and be full of joy. its as simple as that. when u go into philosophy and psychology, i think this question becomes more and more and more fun to discuss because What is happines, what is material things, etc etc.

read Buethios, he write about this alot .or used to since hes been dead for a while
Old 02-08-2004, 04:52 AM   #87
monabonejakon2002
Regular User

No!
But it can buy you the things to make you happy.

Yes!
Eventually I would like to settle down and have some kids. If I'm broke, my family will most likely be unhappy thus making me unhappy.

In the end, it depends how you look at it.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:38 AM   #88
yg60m
Regular User

Proverb : " it's better being rich and in good health than poor and sick ! "
other : " money doesn't make happiness but it contributes !".
Old 02-09-2004, 07:28 AM   #89
levensnevel
Regular User

Well as far as I'm concerned money doesn't buy happiness, certainly not for a prolongued period of time. It just helps you to make ends meet.
Happiness is a state of mind and only be recognised if you know the other side of that coin aswell. It has very little to do with the balance of one's bank account. Much more with what you have learned to appreciate in life.
For one person that can be driving a Macca F1 around the Nordschleiffe and for someone else that can be seing a flock of swans take of from a lake in the morning mist or seing your kids playing in the sunshine.

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #90
kian

I must say that you some of you guys arre to obsessed with luxuries like ferrari's etc .

u all might be well-fed , but just imagine living in a third world country where FOOD is also considered a luxury , i am not talking bout caviar n stuff but simple food like bread and milk .

put yourself in a positon of starvation , and the diff is that u had or had not a dollar in hand . with a dollar u can buy a loaf of bread . or just die of starvation.

then imagine this , suddenly someone gave u a dollar , will you be happy ?

just like the scenario that everytime u bring food to your dog , it wags its tail out of happiness