Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #46
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Making sweeping statements about Ron Paul supporters isn't accurate. But, there are plenty of crazies around and following him
At the least the ron paul Paul supporters know stuff that matters
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #47
mayer
Regular User

I told myself not to get into this discussion here at MotorWorld, but I had to make this post.

Just saw this on Calculated Risk this morning, you all should see this. It appears that us taxpayers are bailing out FOREIGN financial institutions as well!!! Seriously??? This is getting ridiculous. They're taking assets that was originated up to this month. Why are they taking assets as of this month when these banks should have known by now not to issue them any longer? ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...48303920080921

Paragraph three:
http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/hp1150.htm

On top of that, check out this Lehman news. $2.5 billion bonus earmarked for "key" employees for running the company into the ground, while there is not money left to pay staff in its foreign operations. SERIOUSLY???

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance
mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #48
RC45
Regular User

Pretty amazing isnt it?

Even more scary I believe is the number of folks involved in this plan that stood to lose everything in these bad investments - but managed tyo run to their buddies in government and ask for the bailout not to save "the people" but simply to save themselves.

If this was about "saving the people" then the plan would have been more like a proposal to freeze all the mortgages at thier lower initial percentage rtes, and then use the government bailout money to subsidise the apparent losses that may have been realised by folks who bought the morgages from the original issuer.

I mean, "US mortgages" are being blamed for starting all this, so why not "fix" the root cause of the problem?

Well, if you only fix the root cause you dont get to play with all this new money - that's why.

In the end, this "bailout plan" does not put a single family back into their foreclosed home, all it does is keep the wealthiest and most powerful folks around the world in the driving seat.

Last edited by RC45; 09-21-2008 at 12:57 PM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #49
pagani
Regular User

I think you american need to get rid of the private federal reserve bank
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #50
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
not gotten rid of... more something along the lines of what Economist Walter Williams says. "the Fed should be a computer algorithm that determines rates based on many factor which are already accounted for; IE inflation, unemployment, growth, etc. etc.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #51
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post

my grandfather says they shot Kennedy for even thinking that

I agree with you, but we must also think about what would take its place? do we dare trust congress to issue the money and mint all our currency?

I say yes, at least we get to elect congress by voting and not be at the mercy of David Rockefeller, Sarah Jensen, Allan Greenspan, Ed Rothchild etc, while we are at it, restructure the tax system to do away with the income tax, since all it does is pay the interest to the federal reserve, no need since there is no FEDRES, thus making me and millions of working people happy to see the IRS dissapear forever

there is nothing wrong with paying taxes, provided these taxes were for something given to you by the government... I am not with putting more money in the pockets of the private bankers,

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #52
RC45
Regular User

Good Lord man.. did any of you see the way Nancy Pelosi just held the USA economy hostage....???

Her speach pretty much had NOTHING to do with solving a problem, but pretty much became a campaign speech.

She is very dangerous for this country.

Why does she want to destroy the USA?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #53
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Good Lord man.. did any of you see the way Nancy Pelosi just held the USA economy hostage....???

Her speach pretty much had NOTHING to do with solving a problem, but pretty much became a campaign speech.

She is very dangerous for this country.

Why does she want to destroy the USA?
Watching her now.. I completely agree with your take.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #54
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
Watching her now.. I completely agree with your take.
Is it not amazing how vindictive someone can be? She lost working people investment dollars today just out of spite.

This is how out of touch modern US politicians are with the reality of the life of their candidates.

I have to wonder why the Democrat majority cannot just vote a bill in? It seems as if the Dems on the floor, simply vote bills down, and then turn to the Reps and say "What are you doing??"

Fugging hell man.... can these petty individuals just get over themselves already? (from both sides)
Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #55
graywolf624
Regular User

That gosh shes an asshat.. she saved us from a bailout that would ruin us imho.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #56
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
But thats not the point - let the vote be an up/down vote - she didnt save anyone from anything - she just made a campaign speech.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #57
graywolf624
Regular User

let the vote be an up/down vote
Sadly I dont believe are reps are bright enough to vote the right way without an idiot compeling them not to follow her.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #58
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
. Why would the bailout as it was proposed, have ruined the US?
I agree entirely, but wondering what your take is.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #59
graywolf624
Regular User

Some potential implications of a bailout:
Companies begin to act as if they can count on the government for help (already happening)
Inflation
Movement of credit from other groups within the country to the failed businesses (potentially harming those who need it most)
Potentially creating a new bubble.
Eroding capitalism

Those are just a few, the reality is ruin may
be a bit harsh, but the likely hood of not seeing one of the negatives and actually seeing a positive is almost astronomical. If the government can't tell you what the effect of the bailout will be, or what magnitude it should be, then they shouldnt be messing. The economy is too complex to just throw money around.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #60
ericgt
Regular User

Not just Lou Dobbs, actually there were many calling (notable Bush 2002, McCain 2004&may06) for oversite and not stopping Glass-Steagel in 1999. But Barnie and his blind followers went on tv crying liar liar.

edit

Last edited by ericgt; 10-01-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add refer
ericgt is offline   Reply With Quote