Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-18-2004, 12:45 AM   #46
T-Bird
Regular User

/\/\ yeah we get some detuned cars but then there are the ones that are actually better than the ones they get in their native countries like the EVO VIII and the STi yes ours are better than the japanese versions so you can't really use that excuse. And we are the biggest market for half the car companies if not more in the world so they don't really screw us over that much. atleast we don't get all the crappy deisels. but I'm strayong off subject. You can't say that all our car's can't handle like said previously we produce lesser variety of cars than other countries so if you stack up all the available cars we could have way less crappy handleing cars than European or Japanese companies make correct? You can't say that all European and Japanese cars are made to hug the curves. And besides the point that companies like Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, even BMW are sports oriented companies the big 3 aren't tied down into that specific category they all started out as companies for the masses and were aimed at affordable transportation which the Germans aren't exactly know for (yes they have some econo buckets) this conversation will never be resolved so everyone must accept that fact and Hell half our cars can more than make up for the lesser cornering ability on the straights anyways
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:57 AM   #47
graywolf624
Regular User

"you get tuned down versions of the good ones dude, dont mistake that for the good ones, and some of them you didnt or dont get...... "

We got the better version of the lotus elise as well if I recall.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:01 AM   #48
T-Bird
Regular User

/\/\ no they made it better for US (you can take that US either way U.S. or us) and they decided to give to the rest as a result./\/\
Old 06-18-2004, 04:16 AM   #49
topgeartom
Regular User

[edit] Shit, wrong post [edit]
Old 06-18-2004, 04:23 AM   #50
topgeartom
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Tosser...

...all this and I aint even a yank...
Thanks.

And why are two countrymen fighting?

Stop the hating man!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:21 AM   #51
Sir_GT
Regular User

It's funny how people get worked up over generalizations...

American cars with multi-link, limited-slip diff, rwd chassis can perform just as well as european cars on twisty roads.

American cars with stick axles, solid wishbones, etc. cannot corner as well, simply because they were not built for it.

Even the upcoming mustang has a poor-for-twisty roads rear suspension setup, which Ford has admitted, but this is because hardcore mustang owners WANTED that suspension because its better for drag racing.

Like somebody said very early on in the thread: It all depends on the market that the said car is targeting.

It just so happens that all euro cars (save maybe for Mercedes-AMG :roll: ) never target the drag racing market, which is ONE of (but not the only) markets which American car companies have to consider.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:23 AM   #52
Tomerville
Regular User

Americans are fat!
American cars cant turn!
Canadians are 2nd in obesity following the americans, and there arn't even Canadian cars!

topgeartom: that makes no sense. The STS would never ever be compared to the7-series. How about you take the new Chrysler 300 Hemi vs. the E-Class (of your choice) and the 5-Series (0f your choice again). Oh yeah, throw in an Audi A8 at the same time.

The regular 911 turbo would be raped by the enzo or 360 cs modena..
Check the April Evo I believe? Gallardo vs. 911 Turbo vs. 360 CS. You might be quite suprised. However, yes an Enzo will take care of a Turbo in quick order.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:24 AM   #53
Tomerville
Regular User

Audi A8
Audi A6...sorry.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #54
graywolf624
Regular User

"American cars with stick axles, solid wishbones, etc. cannot corner as well, simply because they were not built for it. "

Yet again thats a generalization. The mustang cobra had a multilink. The 88 camaro I just sold, with it's stick rear, would run circles around it on a short track(long Id be devoured on straights but thats another story). independent rears are less important on a smooth track.. They do have some slight advantages in terms of upper potential. Stock for stock though there not much far off. Its just the solid rear is going to have higher nvh and be eaten alive on a bumpy back road.

A suspension isnt as simple as the type. Where its going to be used and how well it was applied are big issues. The last mustangs suspension design was horrible by even stick standards. The new one is very similar to that of the camaros. It will probably handle good on a track, (not quite as good as a great designed independent, but better then most of your usual crap out there) but Id take a wrx 8 days a week on a street drive and end up in front each time.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #55
topgeartom
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
topgeartom: that makes no sense. The STS would never ever be compared to the7-series. How about you take the new Chrysler 300 Hemi vs. the E-Class (of your choice) and the 5-Series (0f your choice again). Oh yeah, throw in an Audi A8 at the same time..
Alright, considered that, and IMHO the european cars would walk all over the yank tank. I think that possibly the Audi would come out on top.

Again though, it all depends which market me are talking about here. I'm sure in the good 'ol US of A, you would go mad for the chrysler just because it had the little 'hemi' badge on it, plus it's got all that drag racing heritage.

In Europe though, we'd all go for the german exec-mobiles.

Tom
Old 06-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #56
number77
Regular User

Originally Posted by topgeartom
Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
topgeartom: that makes no sense. The STS would never ever be compared to the7-series. How about you take the new Chrysler 300 Hemi vs. the E-Class (of your choice) and the 5-Series (0f your choice again). Oh yeah, throw in an Audi A8 at the same time..
Alright, considered that, and IMHO the european cars would walk all over the yank tank. I think that possibly the Audi would come out on top.

Again though, it all depends which market me are talking about here. I'm sure in the good 'ol US of A, you would go mad for the chrysler just because it had the little 'hemi' badge on it, plus it's got all that drag racing heritage.

Tom
with the new Charger getting a hemi, i think you should stop there.
and what are we comparing here? price class, or vehicle class. so many people plead ignorance in their arguments its not even funny. there are tons of american cars that were way ahead of their european counterparts. like the lt4 powered vette. and numerous suspension packages are available from the factory on the Camaro, Vette, Mustang, etc. i'm not gonna go on.

Jusk because you can't beat the sunday cup with a camaro doesn't mean it can't handle.
number77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:33 PM   #57
RC45
Regular User

Tom
You do know the E-class and Chrysler 300 share the same platform - don't you?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #58
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Tom

Yep, from the previous model :roll:

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:18 PM   #59
T-Bird
Regular User

OK but the base E320(new) is $10,000 more than a loaded 300C so let's choose one here.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #60
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR

Tom

Yep, from the previous model :roll:
Wow - so all of a sudden that E-class platform is crap because someone else is using it... :roll: -- whatever...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote