Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: Can money buy you happiness?
Yes 43 62.32%
No 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2003, 02:55 PM   #46
st-anger
Regular User

i think it depends...
i mean i´m probably the oldest here on JW and experienced so many things in my life and some of them wouldn`t have been possible without having quite some money. from that point of view, i`d vote with "yes", with the money i´ve earned so far i could easily sit back right now, doing nothing ´till my time´s over and i still would have a perfect life, i even could buy myself a CGT, referring to what jabba mentioned from the vid of my friend, BUT on the other hand when you ask yourself "can money buy REAL happiness" and you`re seriously sick or something like that, what do you with all the money then??? are you happy with all the money and your wife just loves you because of the money??? i mean i´ve mentioned that some time ago when someone asked me if i´ll buy a 452000€ car and i said no! why???
the answer is very simply, i can buy a CGT but i can`t buy the love of the person i`d die for, and when my wife asked me not to spend so much money for a "silly" car it was absolutely clear not to buy it...
what i´ll try to express with this, money makes my life quite comfortable i would be able to buy nearly all the things i`d like to have, but IMO it´s more important to be happy that you are healthful and to have some ppl around you that are loving you like you are, and not because of the money... money is one of the biggest scourges of mankind :roll:
finally i voted with NO....
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:41 PM   #47
fedezyl
Regular User

Couldn't agree more with you St-anger, money can make things easier, but ultimately it's love that makes you happy, and love you can't buy...

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:05 PM   #48
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by fedezyl
Couldn't agree more with you St-anger, money can make things easier, but ultimately it's love that makes you happy, and love you can't buy...
Much more easily said when you already have more than you need..

That's why this statement is normally only made by the extremely poor - or extremely wealthy.

The extremely wealthy can make the statement with conviction, because honestly, money is no longer a problem and the "meaning of life" has taken on a new meaning.

The extremely poor can make that statement, because more than likely, they will never have any more and sitting worrying about not having money detracts from the "survival" they need to engage in to live.

For the rest of us "middle-income" saps that are the tax-bearers for each of the nations we live in, the burden of "keeping going" is what makes the "I would be happier with more money" statement a true fact.

Imagine for one minute all you had was gone... and all you were left with was the "loved ones" - no rent money, no house, no food, no rich unlce or parent to bail you out - and the prospect of a bill collector knocking on the door of the apartment you can't pay rent on... is that true happiness?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:18 PM   #49
fedezyl
Regular User

well I think love is truly what brings you happiness, it's the only thing you see in every animal, every human being, no matter where they live, even if it's in the middle of the amazonian jungle (where money does not exist), love is still the only thing that brings happiness to them...so my answer is still no, money is not the only thing that makes you unhappy, illness, loss of a loved one or loved object, but it's always that love for someone that makes you happy, no matter what your situation is...

Old 11-04-2003, 07:37 PM   #50
Jabba
Regular User

even if it's in the middle of the amazonian jungle (where money does not exist), love is still the only thing that brings happiness to them
Thats fine for animals or people living in the jungle or even in the land of the fairies for that matter...I think your over doing it on the "love" issue...your beginning to sound like tree hugging pot smoking hippies from the sixtys...

Let gets practical and lets get back into the real world for a minute...and sad though it may be...it is indeed "money" that makes the "real" world go round...as they say....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:55 PM   #51
ferrari550
Regular User

i guess it depends really. money can buy you some point of happiness but it cannot give you the same things that like friends and family can do.
I think money can provide me with a big chunk of happiness. but not to the full extent.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #52
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ferrari550
i guess it depends really. money can buy you some point of happiness but it cannot give you the same things that like friends and family can do.
I think money can provide me with a big chunk of happiness. but not to the full extent.
This is true - but remember, with sufficient money, you have the freedom to devote all your efforts to your family and loved ones.

As a "middle class" working parent, I know that my motivation is still to, within a reasonable amount of time, accumulate sufficient money to be able to choose how I spend my time and effort with my loved ones and family.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:29 PM   #53
fedezyl
Regular User

^^^^^ Damn capitalists!! all you guys care about is money!

It's true that money satisfies all your material needs, and even as some people said here that money, or not worrying about it makes you happy, what it does in reality is give you time, stress free time to enjoy the things that makes you happy, thereof happiness does not depend on money but on non material things, like friendship, love for a woman or man (maybe there are some here at JW who knows, :roll: ) money is not directly the cause of your happiness, but something that may, in most cases, make it easier for you to enjoy happiness
My point being that it doesn't really matter if you are rich or not, your happiness exists, having money may make it a bit easier to get it, but in reality it doesn't necessarely depend on money...get it??

Old 11-04-2003, 11:32 PM   #54
fedezyl
Regular User

And Jabba, I do occasionally get the green stuff, sadly i'm getting some checks done so I can't consume anything of that sort...
And anyways isn't it cool to LOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE YAAAY BABY!! sorry got a bit carried away...been listening to The Beatles a bit to much I guess....lol
I get your point mate, got a bit carried away, but it's kinda hard to get your point accross in phylosophy when english isn't your first language...

Old 11-05-2003, 12:33 AM   #55
volvoman

its very good to have money and even enough to live very secure and stress free but to simply put it, if you are on a uninhabitated island with either friends/family/loved one, how much happiness can a ferrari or money bring you in that situation. a choose between my own island with a track and a few exotics and tons of lavish things or friends, family, a wife i would not choose money and wealth.

It brings pleasure, you drive a nice car, you buy anything you want, waking up in an exopensive hotel in a country you always wanted to visit, you get pleasure. as opposed to not worrying about bills, having a job you love to do, (running the best car/forum site is an example) having people around you being happy with who you are, being able to love who you are as a person, all these are things that money has no link to, even not worrying about bills, you will have bills that stress you out if you spend more than you can afford.

i try to make it concise and look what i get.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:10 AM   #56
DeMoN
Regular User

Love brings happiness? Sure it does, however, it also brings TERRIBLE results! There is NO all happy marriage. There are always ups and downs. Having all the money in you want may not buy you totall happiness, but it will give you less troubles than loving someone.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 AM   #57
Tumbler
Regular User

haha demon talk to my mum, she loves marrage.

been married twice and looking for a third time
Tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:23 AM   #58
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by fedezyl
^^^^^ Damn capitalists!! all you guys care about is money!

thereof happiness does not depend on money but on non material things
Believe it or not JW costs money to run, it is a material item and seems to make people happy....including you... otherwise presumably you wouldn't still be here....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:03 AM   #59
cho_888
Regular User

how much does a forum like this cost to run? hosting and stuff? you had to buy the title and internet connect ect...all adds up.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #60
flat6
Regular User

I'd guess a few hundred a month, but only Jabba really knows... as a fellow webmaster, I can tell you it's a lot more than people think, and even rather text-based things can rack up costs in a hurry. If you start providing images and ESPECIALLY videos (the reason for 'special JW members', I'd venture) it becomes obscenely expensive. Even traditional income methods like banner ads don't do anything: have a look at supercars.net for a site that's flooded with annoying ads trying to generate revenue to cover its bandwith. Most car - hell, most any time of sites have a very difficult time covering their costs, much less being profitable. My guess is that Jabba takes a hefty hit out of his pocket for the enjoyment of the community, as well as running a slight risk with copyright issues.
flat6 is offline   Reply With Quote