Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #46
FoxFour
Regular User

This is what I've done for my 4.6. First I had an installer weld in subframe connectors. Then I added a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter as well as the following items- Bassani X-pipe with catalytic converters, Steeda Ultra Cool radiator, C&L 80 mm mass-air meter as well as their aluminum intake pipe, Superchips flash computer program and then had Taylor 8mm plug wires put in to replace the failing OEM wires.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #47
sickx
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Originally Posted by graywolf624
I'll give you some americans, but definitly not all. I can think of several people who haven't set foot on a drag strip in years. Hell I've only been to the drag strip about 3 x. And these are the people that do road racing. The general population considers a car a device to get from point a to b.

The nascar disease is the only thing that scares me.
I know there are lots of people who never enter a drag strip in their life, I only say that it seems like people from the US are much more into it than others cuz when there is a discussion about how fast a car is its always the 1/4 mile that comes up.
while in europe its more how fast a car is around a track, we dont talk so much about "most bang for buck" its more about handling and not so much about the straight line speed.
True, many of the rabid American performance fans go straight for 1/4, but if you think about it, it's a pretty universal comparitor for power/weight. We could talk track times, but very few Americans are going to the same track (even the road course fanatics)--we mostly go the the regional tracks that are near to us. Sure, incredible tracks like Laguna Seca and Road Atlanta are open to the public, but drag strips are EVERYWHERE.
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #48
NYCHonda
Regular User

I have a slightly modified Honda Prelude Type SH. Don't know how much power I put down to the wheels though. I never put the car on the dyno machine. My modifications are Mugen header, fan switch, thermostat, JDM S-Spec piston, rods, valve, valve springs, throttle body, ported & polished head, Crower stage 2 cams.
NYCHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #49
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by NYCHonda
I have a slightly modified Honda Prelude Type SH. Don't know how much power I put down to the wheels though. I never put the car on the dyno machine. My modifications are Mugen header, fan switch, thermostat, JDM S-Spec piston, rods, valve, valve springs, throttle body, ported & polished head, Crower stage 2 cams.
I wouldn't consider internals slightly modified IMO
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:16 PM   #50
NYCHonda
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
Well, it's nothing big or spectacular.
NYCHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:24 PM   #51
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sp00ln
Whats your corvettes et and trap?
My Corvette is running at 11.86 @ 121 mph @ 6000 ft altitude.

If I could get it at sea level with some better traction I'd be in the 10's, but I haven't had the opportunity to try that yet.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:05 AM   #52
graywolf624
Regular User

I have seen "street cars" doing high 10`s get eaten on a track by cars that does the 1/4 in 14`s, wich is the fastest car in your opinion?
Wonders if he has been sneaking a peak into my driveway.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:09 AM   #53
coloradosilver
Regular User

More and more I've been getting into the road racing and autocross events around here. I've got the Z51 suspension / Baer Brake Package/ lower gears..etc....Thats what I love about the corvette, it's just as competitive on the road course as it is in the 1/4. It's a great all around car.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:39 AM   #54
PaulGT2164
Regular User

not yet, been sorting out lil things amazing how things can keep you from tuning properly, but its sorted now, and i will be taking it to the local 1/8th mile track soon. with the alrger intercooler i turned th boost up to 22psi
and soon will have some slicks for the front..i should be easily into the 12s, high 11s if i can hook up. i have looked at several cars of the same type running the smaller (2 liter) 3sgte running the same power i should be making and thats what they run...so i should have the advantage seeming i run a bigger motor (2.2 liter)..it should be interesting if i had to guess the hp at the crank, i would say i am pushing 400hp or so...but thats jut a guess
Old 02-24-2004, 02:11 AM   #55
nthfinity
Regular User

first off i have to say, im not yet a major tuner. ive changed plug wires map, and o2 sensors, and adjusted the timing on my old saab 9000 t. ive replaced the u joint, carburator, timing, and electronics a bit on my bronco II, and im no longer looking to tune my jeep, as i ~need~ a sportscar this sumer.

important things to americans i speak with regularly are quite invovled in judging a car by several things in no particular order
lateral handling characteristics
accelleration to 60...(70 really being the speed limit on most of the highways in MI)
1/4 times/speed
stopping distance
ground clearance
drive type
torque
horse power
transmission type

a car can have decent lateral skidpad, but ive driven a few with little feedback through the steering wheel. that makes the event much less predictable
accelleration speaks for itself
braking, ive had one car (chevy celebrity) which had terrible fade, it stopped terrible, but eventually...im concerned if its fade free, and fairly quick

it must also be realized in the way american roads predominantly exist, and formed compared to european counterparts. we've got roads that are much straighter, for longer distances, and werent created around nature, but rather on top of nature, or dug into it/above it. this is why i believe the straights are so important to us, is its what we have and live around. its entirely different circumstances to our friendly neighbors overseas and such, and i hate it being called out as narrow minded; as it is what we deal with day to day.
i also believe that i am not in such a small minority that loves turns. im not so sure this post will stop american 1/4 =dumb flames, but maybe it will help some understand.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:32 PM   #56
sickx
Regular User

[quote="brembo
Yes you are right that it is a universal comparitor for power/weight, but for me it doesnt mean nothing if a car runs 10 on the 1/4 mile if it cant handle its not fast IMO.
Of course its nice to see a top fuel dragster go down the strip but thats about as extreme it have to get to be interesting IMO.
to compare cars on how fast they can go down 1/4 of a mile is ok but it doesnt tell the most important stuff, and that is how it drives.
And thats what makes a car fast.
I have seen "street cars" doing high 10`s get eaten on a track by cars that does the 1/4 in 14`s, wich is the fastest car in your opinion?[/quote]

Which car is faster? The answer is "YES". A car is a tool, and there are different tools for different jobs.
Which is my personal preference? The answer again is YES. While I personally am a road course freak, I have respect for the guys who are building crazy motors and nailing the tree lights just so.

But for my comparitor point, what would it mean to you if I told you I turn 1:28 lap times at Gingerman Raceway? For the vast majority of people out there, probably nothing. If I told you I'm running in the 12s, it speaks to a lot of people. The fact that I can also turn 1:28 at Gingerman speaks to the fact that my car is extremely well-rounded.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:33 PM   #57
sickx
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
Well, it's nothing big or spectacular.
Definitely not "slightly modded". Who did the engine build?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:34 AM   #58
nod911
Regular User

Hey guys, i've got a 67 for mustang, no not a fastback as everyone askes me, it did come with the stock 289 windsor, tho that didnt last for very long. Since i have had the car i have installed 2 different motors. The first motor me and my father installed was a 351 Windsor with 10.5:1 pistons, solid cam and a rebuilt 671 Blower built by NEWBY over here in OZ. With the 4 speed toploader that engine was awesome.......until we kept getting defects because of the height of the engine. So out came the blower and on with a standard manifold and holley......until the oil pressure in the engine decided to give itself up. Then came the current engine which has been in the car now for bout 3-4 years running fine. Its a 302 Windsor with under the bonnet twin 4's, twin elderbrocks, chev valves, 10.5:1 pistons, bored 30 thou over, unfortunately only a hydraulic cam in this engine though. The 302 is obviously nothing compared to the old 351 which is still sitting on an engine stand in our garage, but the 3.55 gears installed in the car certainly make it feel a bit better.

Sorry Guys, No Turbo's Here!!!! :cry: :cry:
nod911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #59
sickx
Regular User

Originally Posted by nod911
Hey guys, i've got a 67 for mustang, no not a fastback as everyone askes me, it did come with the stock 289 windsor, tho that didnt last for very long. Since i have had the car i have installed 2 different motors. The first motor me and my father installed was a 351 Windsor with 10.5:1 pistons, solid cam and a rebuilt 671 Blower built by NEWBY over here in OZ. With the 4 speed toploader that engine was awesome.......until we kept getting defects because of the height of the engine. So out came the blower and on with a standard manifold and holley......until the oil pressure in the engine decided to give itself up. Then came the current engine which has been in the car now for bout 3-4 years running fine. Its a 302 Windsor with under the bonnet twin 4's, twin elderbrocks, chev valves, 10.5:1 pistons, bored 30 thou over, unfortunately only a hydraulic cam in this engine though. The 302 is obviously nothing compared to the old 351 which is still sitting on an engine stand in our garage, but the 3.55 gears installed in the car certainly make it feel a bit better.

Sorry Guys, No Turbo's Here!!!! :cry: :cry:
Wow, are there many classic American muscle cars running 'round in OZ?
BTW, Corky Bell used to have a twin-turbo kit for the stangs, didn't he?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:35 AM   #60
abn
Regular User

You specify "modified motors only" in the topic title...most of my mods have been focused on trying to get my 35 year old car to handle correctly in preparation for the motor I'm building (very slowly unfortunately). My hope was to get a reliable ~400 horspower and leave compression low enough to use regular pump gas and/or add a power adder later. This is what I came up with as the most economical way to that power:

'69 Ford 351W block .030" over
Scat 3.85" stroker crank (392 CI)
Eagle I beam rods
Forged TRW pistons
Standard moly rings
Edelbrock Aluminum Heads (1.94"In/1.60"Ex)

So far about $3K US in parts and machine work and another couple hundred in tools specific to the engine and about $10K in tools overall for my "shop".