Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #556
blue8
Regular User

Nigel Mansell Smokes the F1.07

One time F1 World Champion and three-time British Grand Prix winner, Nigel Mansell, travelled us a few years back last Friday when the former F1 driver was invited to the BMW Sauber F1 Team Pit Lane Park at Silverstone Circuit. Mansell took the driver’s place in a 2006 BMW Sauber F1 car and performed among other things, several doughnuts which obviously thrilled the crowd.

Asked how many doughnuts he had completed, Mansell joked: "I lost count, but I had a fantastic time. It’s the first time I have driven a Formula One car and not had any problems with it!". As for the differences between today’s F1 cars and their ancestors Mansell said, "That took me back. The BMW drives in a similar way to the F1 cars of my era, but the technology advances that have been made since are phenomenal."

Over the weekend the '06 BMW Sauber F1 Team car was also driven by 1995 British Grand Prix winner, Johnny Herbert, and BMW Sauber F1 Team driver, Sebastian Vettel.
20 Years of BMW M3

http://www.worldcarfans.com/rsslink....ears-of-bmw-m3

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #557
blue8
Regular User

Countdown to the BMW M3 experience:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_high...experience.xml
You could apply here if you think you are deserving to test drive the BMW M3 in Germany.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #558
blue8
Regular User

More: :shock:

Old 07-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #559
thepest
Regular User

^ My lord!

Thanks.

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #560
inso
Regular User

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70985

M3 Brochure, some 40pages, Enjoy.
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #561
gangajas
Regular User

Another test, this one is quite destructive

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...it/mfbmw14.xml
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #562
blue8
Regular User

Clearest spyshots of the X6 (it certainly looks unique!):

This is the first time the BMW X6 off-road, coupe-like crossover has been seen and caught barely disguised! The first spy shots of the upcoming BMW X6, a crossover SUV, were taken late last year around BMW’s Munich headquarters, but now the camouflage has come off and the sloping coupe-like roof line previously revealed is in 100% clear view.

This detail is particularly interesting on the X6, because BMW is applying an aggressive application of the four-door-coupe concept first seen on the Mercedes CLS, to the SUV/Crossover genre. There have been a number of performance-minded SUVs on offer, but the X6 is taking a unique styling approach which appears to be the most ambitious “form-over-function” SUV design effort seen to date.

The roof line begins arching downward after the B-pillar and continues plunging right to the X6's rising waistline. As a result, second-row headroom and rear cargo volume are both severely compromised. The new X6 will be longer and lower than the new X5, but this crossover is expected to seat only four. But what the sporty X6 loses in seating, it will gain in performance. Expect it to arrive sometime during the 2008 calendar year.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #563
thepest
Regular User

[quote="dani_d_mas"]Ssangyong Actyon anyone?!

:roll:

quote]

No way in hell the BMW is going to look anywhere near that thing.

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #564
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

that looks just like the CR-V IMO...although I think the CR-V looks great, this thing looks just like the X5 with a sloping roof.

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #565
Bernardo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Chaos in 1983!
that looks just like the CR-V IMO...although I think the CR-V looks great, this thing looks just like the X5 with a sloping roof.
+1
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #566
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Bernardo
Originally Posted by Chaos in 1983!
+1

This is the ugliest BMW I've ever seen. Even worse than the X-Coupe. Heaven help us if this thing comes with plastic cladding. No one really wants a jacked up wagon, do they? Just get a 5-Series Touring. They actually look nice.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #567
blue8
Regular User

Interview with Gerhard Richter (from Inside Line):
Bottom line: There will always be an M3 CSL from now on. BMW is hesitant to build a supercar like the Carrera GT (but I don't think this rules out an R8-fighter).
-----------------------------

Gerhard Richter is vice president, BMW M Gmbh — the man responsible for the new generation of M cars. He began his career at BMW in the chassis development department, helping to engineer the first-generation BMW 7 Series. He then became the project engineer for BMW M's first everyday road car, the 1979 M535i, and he has worked at M ever since. Gerhard Richter was interviewed at the launch of the new 2008 BMW M3 by Inside Line's Alistair Weaver.

How would you define the role of the M3 in the BMW M range?
The M3 stands for our philosophy. It is the best representation of the M character, combining the feeling of a racecar with that of a normal street car. We concentrate on what we call "concept harmony," by which we mean that we look at the car as a whole. This is what separates us from everyone else.

How difficult has it been to replace the old inline-6 engine with a V8?
It was not so easy. The six-cylinder is the traditional engine for an M3. But the old engine had reached its limits. We had to develop an all-new engine and it made sense to design a V8. For fans of the six-cylinder engine, we have the M Coupe. This is our entry-level M model.

Will there be a new version of the lightweight M3 CSL?
We built the last M3 CSL to test how many euros customers are willing to pay for less weight. For 20 years, they've learnt to pay for more power, not less weight. The reaction to the CSL was very positive and you will already see in the new M3 that we've spent a lot of money bringing down the weight.

The last M3 CSL was very successful and fun to drive. From now on, there will always be a CSL version of the M3.

The M3 has grown up, both in terms of size and price. Is there room for a smaller, entry-level M car, based around the new 1 Series coupe available in Europe?
Theoretically, yes. A 1 Series coupe would be a good base for such a car, but there has been no decision yet.

It is true that the M3 has grown over several generations and the latest car is a similar length to an old 5 Series. But we also have the M Coupe for those who want a small car that concentrates on driving fun.

How do you decide which engine to develop for each car?
We're looking for the best performance for the type of car. For the M5 and M6 we use a V10, and for the M3 we use a V8. If you only develop one engine for all your cars, then you cannot have the perfect car. If the engine in the smaller car is too big, you will not have the right harmony.

What are your main targets when developing a new model?
We concentrate on several targets — high revs, lower fuel consumption. There are lots of targets but our main target is that the car must be fun to drive. Raw horsepower is not as important as how agile the car is and how the driver feels.

The power-to-weight figure is the most important figure — more horsepower and lower weight equals more agility.

Will we see alternative engine technologies in the future, such as diesel?
When a diesel is able to achieve high revs, why not use it? But for now it's not possible. We need that special, high-revving character in an M engine. It's not enough just to increase the boost pressure [of the turbo]. We need to change the character of the car.

What about a hybrid?
We already have a brake-energy regeneration system in the new M3, but it's not our target to put 100 kilograms [220 pounds] of batteries in our car. We need much smarter hybrid technology.

Or turbocharging?
Maybe in the future. In 2011, the F1 racing regulations could change to introduce turbocharging. If we were able to bring our character together with a turbo engine, then why not? Formula 1 is very important for us; BMW M's heritage is in motorsport. Changes in the F1 regulations might be good for us. If the change fits with the M character, it could be a solution. The most important thing for the customer is to have this special character.

Or hydrogen?
Maybe in 15 years time. It's important to remember that the car is only 100 years old and technology moves very fast. The new M3 engine has 17 percent more horsepower than the old, but it has 7 percent less weight and 8 percent lower fuel consumption. This is one of the most efficient V8s on the market.

What do you see as the key rivals for the M cars?
The characters of our rivals' cars are so different that customers can find the right car for them. The Porsche is a Porsche — very successful and fun to drive. And when people think of Porsche they think of the 911 — a modern-day Beetle.

(laughs)

Audi Quattro Gmbh uses front- or four-wheel drive, and so the handling is quite different. It's a good solution if you live in the mountains. Mercedes AMG uses a relatively low-revving big-block engine and an automatic gearbox. Every car is different.

AMG has recently started to offer a limited run of tuned cars called Black Series. Can we expect a similar range from BMW?
This is not our philosophy. The Black Series is a way of trying to change the character of the cars, but we wouldn't do this because we have a clear idea of what our cars need to be. We have a personalization program — Individual — which caters to owners with special tastes, but these changes would never affect the driving characteristics of an M car.

Audi recently introduced the R8 to much acclaim. Will BMW build a supercar?
That's a very difficult question to answer. A car like the Porsche Carrera GT could reflect our character, but the Carrera GT was not a commercial success. Below this supercar level, anything we could offer would just be on a level with the M3 or M6.

We could build a car that used the technical aspects of the M3 or M6 but clothe it in a new body, but such a car would be more expensive and no more fun to drive. That is the reason why we're hesitant to build such a car, although as an engineer I'd love to do it.

If you build a €1 million supercar, no one will ever have the chance to see it. For us it's better to make an M3 or M6, where the price is OK.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #568
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I like this man's philosophy and way of thought. But he better make that CSL available to the US market!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #569
blue8
Regular User

X5 M?
BMW currently offers their X5 SAV with two engines, a 3.0 liter straight 6-cylinder making 272 hp and a 4.8 liter V8 making 355 hp. But these latest photos indicate that a new, even higher-performance X5 is on the way which is likely to be called an M model, in accordance with the usual BMW nomenclature of its high performance models. Engine is unconfirmed, but the next logical choice would be the big 6.0 liter V12 from the 760i sedan which produces 438 horsepower.

One indicator that this X5 has a more powerful engine can be seen in the huge exhaust pipe tips. They are noticeably larger in diameter than the exhausts on the 4.8 liter X5. Plus the front bumper is completely redesigned with larger air intake openings to allow better airflow to an extra-large radiator. The front bumper also appears to extend lower, making it more of an air dam, helping to prevent turbulent air from going under the vehicle, thus reducing drag, especially at high speeds.

The X5 is no stranger to a V12 power plant though. Back in 2000 BMW showed the X5 Le Mans experimental vehicle which had the legendary German racer, Hans Stuck, whip this 750 hp (514 kW) monster around Nurburgring in 7min 49.92sec.

Is there really a strong demand for high-performance SUVs?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #570
Just_me
Regular User

I saw the new M3 V8 today, white and interlagosblue. I tell you this, the bulge on the hood is goddamn visible from distance. Freaking cool if you ask me 8)