Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #31
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT View Post
Well, this year the "political" situation is a bit different ...
I hate politics sometimes.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #32
pagani
Regular User

They schould never surrender to the terrorist.
Gentle man you have a race
Start your engines.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #33
LEXION
Regular User

And terrorism wins again

Crappy world we live in.....

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
LEXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #34
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by LEXION View Post
And terrorism wins again

Crappy world we live in.....
Thats why they schould let the rally start.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #35
redbaron
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
Their have never been any attack on the rally.
This is just pure bullshit.
There have been attacks in the past! A couple of years ago some teams were attacked by rebels (I thought it was in Mali). One of them was belgian Koen Wouters who escaped from the rebels. The rebels shot at his car and the bullet holes have been shown many times at the dutch television. Other teams were less lucky and were robbed from their cars.

Since that year stages were cancelled when there was serious political tread. This year nine stages were planned in Mauritania. When they would have cancelled these stages, there would not have been much left of the rally.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #36
pilotvtm
Regular User

Idiot bombers....they destroy everything but they can't destroy our humor...
lol:

pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #37
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
There have been attacks in the past! A couple of years ago some teams were attacked by rebels (I thought it was in Mali). One of them was belgian Koen Wouters who escaped from the rebels. The rebels shot at his car and the bullet holes have been shown many times at the dutch television. Other teams were less lucky and were robbed from their cars.

Since that year stages were cancelled when there was serious political tread. This year nine stages were planned in Mauritania. When they would have cancelled these stages, there would not have been much left of the rally.
Ok did not knew that.
Anyway it's a sad day for the motorsport and for the world.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #38
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
This fucking sucks bunch of french pussy's
Exactly. I hope all competitors, media etc tahe them to court to claim every euro they have invested (not just start money, but all that they invested in equipment) back. from ASO. The had the obligation to run the rally and they did not do it, so they should pay big.
Ah well, frenchies have a history of being a pussy nation ...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #39
TT
Regular User

Going a bit too far here IMO... Please, no more direct attacks to French ppl and France. Remember we also have some french members on JW if you don't give a shit about the average John Doe!

Big money is always big money, but can't justify everything.

They could have run the rally, ending up with 90% of the team withdrawing on personal decision.

BTW, I don't think any of us every had one of the contracts related to dakar's sponsors and such, but I wouldn't be surprised to find, somewhere in there, a couple of lines talking about possible cancellation of the whole race...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #40
franck bullitt
Regular User

Location: 10 mls from Eurodisneyland....and too far from unlimited speed's highway!

Originally Posted by jakaracman View Post
Ah well, frenchies have a history of being a pussy nation ...
Explain your point of view ? I'm French and i'd like to know why do you say that if you prefer you can send me a MP ....
Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #41
jakaracman
Regular User

I'll put it this way: I write for many magazines and I can, if I want, always write that ... It'scalled freedom of speech and it's my personal opinion.
I also think that history (just take WW2 for example) and curernt situation (those protest of young criminals buring cars, shops etc...) needs no explanation.
But I see that there are many people that are waaay to sensible here, so for their peace of mind I'll officially take it back. French do not have a history of pussy nation. Pretend I didn't write it. Appologies etc ...
Of course, fortunatelly I dont have to change what I really think, don't I?

And a PS at the end: I couldn't care less what you write about slovenians or Slovenia. Don't give a shit ...

@TT: I've sen some of the contracts, even for top5 or top10 competitors. Nothing about cancellation of the event. Retiring yes, cause there's always danger of that, but cancelation no. What do you think it will cost Mitsubishi, they planned their entire year's worth of marketnig and PR for offroaders around Dakar?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #42
TT
Regular User

Freedom of speech is ok, but as this forum has the following rule

RESPECT

Please, be polite when discussing with other members and dont make offensive/racist/... comments about other members.
We wouldn't ask you to change your way of thinking. Just avoid posting it and thanks for taking it back!

As for the contracts, ok, I would have guessed the organizers got themselves covered, especially in difficult times like ours, when tobacco companies have to write in big letters that smoke can fucking kill you on their cig, as if ppl didn't know...

As for big and small teams having wasted tons of resources, time and efforts, I don't say it is ok like that, but every business has its related risks, and you can't always write them off completely... you do your best to foresee them and to prevent them from happening, but that's it.
Like a farmer having a year's harvest messed up by hail.... this is what insurances or provisions are for...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #43
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT View Post
Freedom of speech is ok, but as this forum has the following rule

We wouldn't ask you to change your way of thinking. Just avoid posting it and thanks for taking it back!

As for the contracts, ok, I would have guessed the organizers got themselves covered, especially in difficult times like ours, when tobacco companies have to write in big letters that smoke can fucking kill you on their cig, as if ppl didn't know...

As for big and small teams having wasted tons of resources, time and efforts, I don't say it is ok like that, but every business has its related risks, and you can't always write them off completely... you do your best to foresee them and to prevent them from happening, but that's it.
Like a farmer having a year's harvest messed up by hail.... this is what insurances or provisions are for...
ok
That french pussy comment was just some vented angryness.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #44
pagani
Regular User

Here are some updates of the dutch tv channel rtl7
http://www.rtl.nl/(vm=/sport/rtl_gp/....avi_plain.xml
I am whit robby gordon and jan de rooy on this one.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
pagani
Regular User

Thumbs down

I think this very sad for news for the world.
The big advanture and pioneering spirit is bit dead now no more great adventure in africa but i hope that will change in near future.
The big losers are the teams and the good willing people of africa.
It has cost aso 52 million euros.

Press report team dakar usa
http://www.robbygordon.com/cms/publi...icle_997.shtml

Check on this site
http://tiagomonteiro.com/dakar/dakari.html