Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Better a year than never? As long as it doesn't get fed into a chipper?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
dood, This isn't a BMW Z1 we're talking about, or Toyota 2000 GT.... or anywhere near the collectability between the two ....
True, but comared to those this is a very attainable collectable. Here in the US we have ZERO Type-R's.....so in that case it is pretty rare car

Bout the same as someone from JA wanting a Vector wouldnt you say

Heck I want a CSL also.........but those still go for 60K+ USD used over seas. In South Africa they still have a few brand new CSL M3's that go for over 125K USD.......
Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
I had a thought. Can you import cars if you can somehow prove that it's a car that's a version of a car that's been sold in the country? Like saying that Civic Type-R's a version of the Civic Si that was already sold here legally. I mean it's pretty much the same car underneath, isn't it? As long as it doesn't fail emissions or is unsafe for some reason, you should be able to import it.

But then again, the US beaurocracy doesn't run on rational or logical thinking.

No kidding...cool
Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Forget the Type-R. I want the new Focus RS. I'll claim that it's a lightly modified Volvo S40.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
rave426
Regular User

Forget the Type-R. I want the new Focus RS. I'll claim that it's a lightly modified Volvo S40.
Forget a Focus RS. Give me an Ford RS200 - Beat that
Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by rave426 View Post
Forget a Focus RS. Give me an Ford RS200 - Beat that
I dunno. Ferrari 288 GTO Evoluzione?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
graywolf624
Regular User

I had a thought. Can you import cars if you can somehow prove that it's a car that's a version of a car that's been sold in the country?
Theoretically yes.. Technically no.

Even a different engine effects mass and thus crash testing.

Maybe around my neighborhood at the MOST. ....

I'm not worried about the Feds...because I would no nothing illegal.
Your first sentence contradics the second one. If that car sets foot on a public road and they can prove it kiss it goodbye.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #23
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post

I had a thought. Can you import cars if you can somehow prove that it's a car that's a version of a car that's been sold in the country?
Theoretically yes.. Technically no.

Even a different engine effects mass and thus crash testing.
What if... they used the same engine?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

I dunno. Ferrari 288 GTO Evoluzione?
RS 200 EVO

but yeh, teh 288 GTO Evo will be worth more, even if slower by a bit hehe
Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
RS 200 EVO

but yeh, teh 288 GTO Evo will be worth more, even if slower by a bit hehe
Hey.. the RS200 EVO is my trump card

The original real Stigs car at that
Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #26
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Anyways. I wish I could import a Focus RS to the US. Stupid Ford. Ruining PAG and itself like that.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #27
F250
Regular User

Originally Posted by rave426 View Post
Its like no one actually understands what I want.

I DO NOT WANT it as a daily driver! I DONT. I wouldnt even drive the thing around the city. Maybe around my neighborhood at the MOST. I want to import the car because I WANT the car..I have always wanted to have one........and I always will.

I'm not worried about the Feds...because I would no nothing illegal. I wouldnt ask you'all to give me some illegal advice...I know it has been dont legaly and I want to know how. When I want to track it....I will HAUL it where it needs to be, and go forward from there. I only asked about the VIN# because I wasnt sure what would be needed to import it as a race car.....I guess i should have made that clear

Thanks for the legal stuff...but I'm not trying to out do the gov't on this one. Most who try, fail miserably. I simply want to get the car to the states..........just as a I also want to get a Euro spec E36 M3 Evo.
You don't want to do anything illegal? DRIVING IT AROUND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD IS ILLEGAL.

What part of posting a bond equal to the value of the car and having to federalize it within a given amount of time or lose the bond and the car don't you understand?

The Feds won't recognize a Honda Civic Type R crap-bucket as a race car or show car. That means you'd have to emissions-certify the engine, change all safety-related equipment to D.O.T standard including crash-worthiness. Just buy a new Corvette ZR1 for $100,000. It'll be cheaper, better, faster, have a warranty, attract females and be LEGAL.

Name one person who has imported a Honda Civic Type R and successfully federalized the car.

I hope you do this and prison has internet access because I expect you to post your story!

Here are part of the regulations about declaring your import a race car:

. Racing vehicle

The vehicle has in general been extensively modified for racing, and is incapable of safe and practical street or highway use because it lacks features associated with safe and practical street or highway use, such features including, but not being limited to, a reverse gear (except in the case of motorcycles), a differential, or safety features required by state and/or Federal law. Anyone may import a racing vehicle without a Customs bond required by EPA; however, written EPA approval must be obtained before clearance at Customs.
Requirements
  • You must first receive EPA's approval. Not all vehicles used in races are excluded from emissions compliance. Determinations are based on the capability of the vehicle, not its intended use. Importer must submit the following information when applying:
    1. importer's name, address, and daytime telephone number;
    2. vehicle information (make, model, model year and VIN);
    3. a list of racing features (features that make the vehicle a racing vehicle);
    4. a list of street features lacking (features that have been removed or have never been installed that would permit safe driving on streets or highways);
    5. at least 4 photographs showing the front, rear, and each side view; and if a vehicle with an interior, photographs of the interior;
    6. the name of the sanctioning body and competition class;
    7. a schedule of racing events, including dates and locations where the vehicle will participate;
    8. a copy of the competition racing license; and
    9. other proof that the vehicle cannot be used on streets and highways, such as a letter from a state's Department of Motor Vehicles that explains the vehicle cannot be licensed for use on public roads, and explains why it cannot be licensed.
  • Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "L" and attach EPA letter of approval; and
  • Importer should keep a copy of the EPA approval letter for future proof of EPA exclusion.
Restrictions
  • Vehicle may not be registered or licensed for use on or operated on the public roads or highways; and
  • If an imported racing vehicle is subsequently converted to a motor vehicle and registered or licensed for street use, the converter may be considered a manufacturer of a new motor vehicle and subject to a penalty of $25,000 per day for failing to meet EPA emission requirements.

Last edited by F250; 02-05-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 AM   #28
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Why EPA? Why did it have to be EPA? Why couldn't it be just Customs or DoT?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #29
F250
Regular User

Why EPA? Why did it have to be EPA? Why couldn't it be just Customs or DoT?
Because it is the law. Because the USA does not subscribe to Japanese or EU emissions standards.

Here are a few more selected paragraphs:

(3) Importation by an ICI

An ICI is an independent commercial importer that is registered with the EPA Certification and Compliance Division, and who is not the original vehicle manufacturer (OEM), and who does not have a contractual agreement with the original manufacturer to act as its authorized representative for the distribution of vehicles or engines into the U.S. market. ICIs act independently of the OEM, but must follow the same emission requirements imposed on OEMs by the Clean Air Act. All ICIs are located in the U.S.
ICI Compliance Requirements

An ICI who imports your nonconforming vehicle is responsible for:
  1. Having an applicable certificate of conformity to import your vehicle (or using your vehicle as a "prototype" to obtain the applicable certificate of conformity).
  2. Entering your vehicle through U.S. Customs.
  3. Performing all modifications and emission testing, if required, after the vehicle enters the United States (see "Emissions Testing" paragraph of Introduction section).
  4. Reporting the modifications and testing results, if required, to EPA and holding the vehicle for 15 Federal working days beginning with the date that EPA receives this report (or longer if EPA so notifies the certificate holder). During this period and the period preceding this report, the vehicle cannot be sold, offered for sale, returned to the owner, or driven on public roads or highways (except for that driving necessary to obtain a certificate of conformity for the vehicle, if the vehicle is being used to obtain a certificate of conformity).
  5. Bearing responsibility for the vehicle's compliance with emission standards over the vehicle's useful life. This includes pre-release inspections and subsequent emission recalls by EPA.
  6. Ensuring that the vehicle contains an emissions label (in the name of the ICI) and vacuum hose diagram, as well as providing you with prepaid emission warranties and maintenance instructions for the vehicle (See How to Find the Vehicle Emissions Label ), and
  7. Performing fuel economy tests and providing you with gas guzzler tax forms.
While it is the ICI's responsibility to provide vehicle owners with fuel economy test results and gas guzzler tax forms, it is the vehicle owner's responsibility to report and pay any applicable gas guzzler taxes to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.
Any person or business that desires to become an ICI should become knowledgeable of the requirements for ICIs (40 CFR Part 85, Subpart P) and of Certification (40 CFR Part 86), must obtain small volume manufacturer status and apply for certificates of conformity from the EPA Certification and Compliance Division in accordance with those requirements.
Vehicles That Must be Imported by an ICI

ICIs import vehicles into the U.S. for modification and testing purposes so that the vehicles, upon final admission by EPA, comply with Federal emission requirements. Whether a vehicle may be imported depends on several factors, including the year in which the vehicle will be imported and the qualifications of the ICI. First, eligibility varies from year to year depending upon the age of the vehicle. A vehicle's age is determined by subtracting the calendar year in which it was originally manufactured from the calendar year of importation. For example, a European manufactured vehicle built in 1986 and imported into the U.S. in 1996 would be ten years old. Second, the ICI has to have a currently valid certificate of conformity, and if the vehicle's age is less than six years old, the ICI must have a currently valid certificate of conformity for a vehicle specifically like yours (i.e. same make, model, model year, and engine).
Before making any purchase or shipping arrangements, you should be sure that there is an ICI who is eligible to import your vehicle and willing to import your vehicle and that you are prepared to pay the ICI charges. List of Independent Commercial Importers. Vehicles required to be imported by ICIs must be entered through Customs by the ICI, not the vehicle owner, and must not be given to the vehicle owner until after the vehicle has met all EPA requirements and has been finally admitted by EPA.
There are four types of importations by lCls. Below is a description of each type and a brief overview of the general requirements.
(a) VEHICLES TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD OR OLDER
Any vehicle twenty one years old or older may be imported by an ICI (as well as by individuals; see Non-U.S. Version Vehicles "(a) 21 Years Old or Older Exemption"). Modifications, testing and holding the vehicle for EPA inspection are not required.
Requirements
  • ICI must validate that vehicle is at least 21 years old.
  • ICI or owner must file with Customs upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "E".
Restrictions
  • The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration.
  • Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines.
(b) MODIFICATION & TESTING OF VEHICLES 6 OP YEARS OR OLDER
The vehicle is being imported by an ICI for modification and testing purposes to comply with Federal emission requirements and is at least 6 OP years or older. No bond is required by EPA, nor is written EPA approval required.
Requirements
  • ICI must have any currently valid certificate of conformity.
  • ICI must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "C"
  • ICI must bring the vehicle into compliance with Federal emission requirements, including passing the Federal emissions test for every vehicle.
  • ICI must submit Application for Final Admission to EPA and hold vehicle for 15 Federal working days (or more if required by EPA) after submitting application.
Restrictions
  • Vehicle must not be driven on public roads or highways until after final admission by EPA.
  • Vehicle must not be given to owner (for use or storage) until after final admission by EPA.
(c) MODIFICATION & TESTING OF VEHICLES LESS THAN 6 OP YEARS
The vehicle is being imported by an ICI for modification and emission testing purposes in order to comply with Federal emission requirements and is less than 6 OP years old. No Customs bond is required, nor is written EPA approval required.
Requirements
  • ICI must already have an EPA certificate of conformity for the specific model year, make, model, and engine of the vehicle (e.g., 1990 Mercedes-Benz 500) it desires to import, or ICI must use the vehicle as a prototype to obtain the necessary certificate of conformity.
  • ICI must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "A" (or code "J" if vehicle is being used as a prototype to obtain a certificate of conformity).
  • ICI must bring vehicle into compliance in accordance with certificate of conformity.
  • ICI must Federal emissions test every third vehicle imported under a certificate of conformity to demonstrate compliance with Federal emission standards.
  • ICI must submit Application for Final Admission to EPA and hold vehicle for 15 Federal working days (or more if required by EPA) after submitting application.
Restrictions
  • Vehicle must not be driven on public roads or highways (except for that driving necessary to obtain a certificate of conformity) until final admission by EPA.
  • Vehicle must not be released to the owner (for use or storage) until after final admission by EPA.
(d) MODIFICATION TO OEM CERTIFIED VERSION
The vehicle is being imported by an ICI for modification purposes to be identical to an OEM certified version in accordance with written instructions from the U.S. representative of the OEM that are specific to the vehicle. No Customs bond is required, nor is written EPA approval required.
Requirements
  • ICI must obtain copy of the modification instructions from the U.S. representative of the OEM prior to importation
  • ICI must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "Z".
  • ICI must attach a copy of the OEM instructions to EPA Form 3520-1.
  • ICI must modify vehicle in accordance with the OEM instructions.
  • ICI must submit Application for Final Admission to EPA and hold vehicle for 15 Federal working days (or more, if required by EPA) after submitting Application.
Restrictions
  • Vehicle must not be driven on public roads or highways until after final admission by EPA
  • Vehicle must not be given to owner (for use or storage) until after final admission by EPA.

"So, your Honda Civic is a race car, punk? After all this excitement with customs and D.O.T. and E.P.A., I certainly hope you can prove your Rice Rocket is race car, 'cause it looks just like a Civic. Well, CAN YOU???"

Last edited by F250; 02-05-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #30
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by F250 View Post
You don't want to do anything illegal? DRIVING IT AROUND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD IS ILLEGAL.

What part of posting a bond equal to the value of the car and having to federalize it within a given amount of time or lose the bond and the car don't you understand?

The Feds won't recognize a Honda Civic Type R crap-bucket as a race car or show car. That means you'd have to emissions-certify the engine, change all safety-related equipment to D.O.T standard including crash-worthiness. Just buy a new Corvette ZR1 for $100,000. It'll be cheaper, better, faster, have a warranty, attract females and be LEGAL.

Name one person who has imported a Honda Civic Type R and successfully federalized the car.

I hope you do this and prison has internet access because I expect you to post your story!

Here are part of the regulations about declaring your import a race car:

. Racing vehicle

The vehicle has in general been extensively modified for racing, and is incapable of safe and practical street or highway use because it lacks features associated with safe and practical street or highway use, such features including, but not being limited to, a reverse gear (except in the case of motorcycles), a differential, or safety features required by state and/or Federal law. Anyone may import a racing vehicle without a Customs bond required by EPA; however, written EPA approval must be obtained before clearance at Customs.
Requirements
  • You must first receive EPA's approval. Not all vehicles used in races are excluded from emissions compliance. Determinations are based on the capability of the vehicle, not its intended use. Importer must submit the following information when applying:
    1. importer's name, address, and daytime telephone number;
    2. vehicle information (make, model, model year and VIN);
    3. a list of racing features (features that make the vehicle a racing vehicle);
    4. a list of street features lacking (features that have been removed or have never been installed that would permit safe driving on streets or highways);
    5. at least 4 photographs showing the front, rear, and each side view; and if a vehicle with an interior, photographs of the interior;
    6. the name of the sanctioning body and competition class;
    7. a schedule of racing events, including dates and locations where the vehicle will participate;
    8. a copy of the competition racing license; and
    9. other proof that the vehicle cannot be used on streets and highways, such as a letter from a state's Department of Motor Vehicles that explains the vehicle cannot be licensed for use on public roads, and explains why it cannot be licensed.
  • Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "L" and attach EPA letter of approval; and
  • Importer should keep a copy of the EPA approval letter for future proof of EPA exclusion.
Restrictions
  • Vehicle may not be registered or licensed for use on or operated on the public roads or highways; and
  • If an imported racing vehicle is subsequently converted to a motor vehicle and registered or licensed for street use, the converter may be considered a manufacturer of a new motor vehicle and subject to a penalty of $25,000 per day for failing to meet EPA emission requirements.
Wasnt that much easier. Now I see it would be difficult as the Type-R wouldnt fit that "race" car qualification.

Ok, so driving around the block is illegal. YES i contradicted myself. I would NEVER get caught even if I did drive around the block, but YES it is illegal. Whatever, im just being realistic. ANY car that I own, WILL be started up and WILL be moved to some extent..unless its an real race car. You cant run down the street screaming open exhaust and not bring attention to yourself. In the part of Louisiana I currently live in know one gives a sh_t about cars for the most part. Most people dont know what a BMW M3 is or how it looks. There are some guys in the south that drive R34 GTRs that havnt been "Motorexed" around everyday.......Some places you can get away with it.. some places you cant.

If I knew that then what would be the point of this thread

The Feds won't recognize a Honda Civic Type R crap-bucket ...
Arguably the best performing hot hatch/compact car series ever. I think the new Type-R is only a second off the pace of a Honda NSX on the Tuskuba Circuit.

Last edited by rave426; 02-05-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Closed Thread