Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #16
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmw06m6
If she got into it I bet it would make her wet though.

Personally BMW has gotten to be Simply the Best at design and setting the new standard, which proves Nothing is as Good as the Original.
I don't think so. She was really disgusted at the look :\

It doesn't matter how good something is, because "first looks" is the most important thing that exists. It's that very first time that we see someone or something, that leaves a lasting impression on us. A house or car can be the greatest or most comfortable thing ever, but if you don't like the looks, or if something really bothery you about it, you will not really care if it rides well or if you feel good inside. You'll still feel "uncomfortable" about it.

And IMO (still just an opinion), overall, the BMW look is not that good. I prefer by far the look of the new SLK over the Z4. I also prefer the older SLK look over the Z3, and the SL look lover the Z8. Same for the C, E and S class over the BMW 3, 5, or 7 series... I do kinda like the 6 series over, say, a C class coupe tho'.

It's all about personal preferences, and like assholes, we all have one
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #17
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Records sales year after year. Fact that can't be denied.
Depends entirely on the country. BMW has been selling less, and less cars in Switzerland for example.

In the US, the sales are going strong, but it's not the case in every country.

Facts indeed cannot be denied
Old 03-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r
Will we call the 5 or 7 series a classics ten years from now, I think not.
This is all that needs to be said.

To this very day, the M635Csi, the 2002, the E30, E36 and E46 M3, the E39 M5 and the 507 are near perfect shapes.

Bangle could only dream of that kind of immortality
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #19
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Records sales year after year. Fact that can't be denied.
Depends entirely on the country. BMW has been selling less, and less cars in Switzerland for example.

In the US, the sales are going strong, but it's not the case in every country.

Facts indeed cannot be denied
Good point.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #20
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by phatbimmer

I love BMW's

Really?

You know I could never tell.......there is just noting about you that says BMW.................
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #21
bmagni
Regular User

change is always good, and people aren't always open to change, even less to radical changes. This was gonna happen sooner ol later.
I really like them all, maybe when the Z9 concept was released, I really didn't like it a bit, i did like the X concept, which now is resembled by the Z4 coupe which looks great- The first bangled 7er didnt look that great, but the newest one looks great, the 5er looks super nice, and the 3er much better than the past one, even the 1 looks good.

Originally Posted by RC45
Bangle started nothing.

The way everything looks like a Civic today you would think Honda created a trend.. no they simply flooded the market with boring plain lines, and because they had cheap reliable cars, people bought them.

The reason there are millions on the road is because of this fact, not the design.

Now that there are millions on the roads, other car designers feel obligated to offer Civic lookalikes.

The same for the Bangle crap.

They are not being accepted - they are simply everywhere, and you have no choice.. if you like BMW you are obligated to by a crap looking Bangle design.
BS. Civics aint priced at BMW range, not even close to the 7 series which were the most radical designed of all, if they're everywhere its because people like them, not because they're cheap reliable over sold cars and now everyone wants to copy them cause of that... if people didn't like them, BMWs sales would have gone down, as Jaguar's sales.
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:40 AM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
change is always good, and people aren't always open to change, even less to radical changes. This was gonna happen sooner ol later.
I really like them all, maybe when the Z9 concept was released, I really didn't like it a bit, i did like the X concept, which now is resembled by the Z4 coupe which looks great- The first bangled 7er didnt look that great, but the newest one looks great, the 5er looks super nice, and the 3er much better than the past one, even the 1 looks good.

Originally Posted by RC45
Bangle started nothing.

The way everything looks like a Civic today you would think Honda created a trend.. no they simply flooded the market with boring plain lines, and because they had cheap reliable cars, people bought them.

The reason there are millions on the road is because of this fact, not the design.

Now that there are millions on the roads, other car designers feel obligated to offer Civic lookalikes.

The same for the Bangle crap.

They are not being accepted - they are simply everywhere, and you have no choice.. if you like BMW you are obligated to by a crap looking Bangle design.
BS. Civics aint priced at BMW range, not even close to the 7 series which were the most radical designed of all, if they're everywhere its because people like them, not because they're cheap reliable over sold cars and now everyone wants to copy them cause of that... if people didn't like them, BMWs sales would have gone down, as Jaguar's sales.
I never said BMW was cheap - I said people just fall all over the ugly BangBus design because it is a "fad" - just like reality TV - people think they need to like it just because someone said it must be good.

BangBus designs are not and never will be "classic" BMW...

Period.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #23
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by DrijF360
I don't see how buying the newer models of BMW is a fad. People don't buy BMW's or Mercedes because everyone is buying them. They're great cars and there is a good lineage with those cars. Anyway they look good maybe to some purists they don't but models change with the times. At first I didn't like them either but they do look great to me now. Whos to say what is a classic when it has just come out?

BangBus WTF?
Buying them is a fad for many yuppies... they buy the :in car" of the period.

Just now some of the wealthy execs at the oil drilling company I work at are now buying hybrids to park alongside their huge S600 Benz's
Old 03-23-2006, 01:27 AM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by DrijF360
whatever sells sells so what difference does that make to car companies? All that matters is the money. Thats what it has always been about. I don't see what your problem is. Has the prestige of owning a BMW or any other premium car gone down? Has their quality gone down? no. Just a design change that had to be changed. They look good.
Now I have a problem because I don't like thew same cars you do?

BangBussed BMW's are ugly.

You are still free to like them if you want
Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #25
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r

. . .

I have personally sat through one of the lectures that Chris Bangle had to discuss the reasons behind the change of the design of their cars. It was an obvious reason, they wanted to have their cars stand out from the rest because they felt like they were becoming too much like the other car manufacturers.

. . .
Yeah, I have heard the exactly the same from an interview. Very true, there are only so many curves you could put into that car design. But man, doesn't the E46 looks great?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #26
iraghava
Regular User

This is the article in Car magazine Feb '06 which I was talking about in my earlier post.

Reality is just an illusion caused by a lack of Alcohol. - Sir Johnny Walker

Senator Hillary Clinton called for President Bush to begin pulling troops out of Iraq next year. And let me tell you something, when it comes to telling a president when to pull out, no one has more experience than Hillary Clinton. - Jay Leno
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote