Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-02-2004, 06:56 PM   #16
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

I dont understand the SLR...its so damn heavy and it could have been a much better car if merc would have just let McLaren just do what they wanted with it..however I guess for someone who isnt as much of a 'driving purist' - meaning that they dont care about the extra weight or it not being a manual..then they may enjoy the car..
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #17
caneswell
Regular User

Pretty sure the production lap record is held by the radical sr3 turbo, which did around 7:19 on its first flying lap!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:00 PM   #18
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

yeah but even though thats road legal..some people dont really consider that much of a production car..
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:02 PM   #19
caneswell
Regular User

how is it less of a production car than a carrera gt?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #20
caneswell
Regular User

Originally Posted by DMbaseball1604
I dont understand the SLR...its so damn heavy and it could have been a much better car if merc would have just let McLaren just do what they wanted with it..however I guess for someone who isnt as much of a 'driving purist' - meaning that they dont care about the extra weight or it not being a manual..then they may enjoy the car..
entirely agree, i really don't see why anyone would want one. Just a fast merc, nothing special!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:57 AM   #21
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by mayer
I'll try to find the scan, but the SLR did it much faster than 7.52. The time was from Autobild of July 2004 I think, and it was 7.40.

EDIT: I can't find the scan, but here's the link from their site. The 'Ring time is on page 5.

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen...rtikel_id=6450
What testdriver do means nothing when comparing with other cars, M5 e39 did 8.20 min by a testdriver and M5 E60 7.52 min by a testdriver. But it means nothing. SportAuto is the officiell times since the cars are tested by the same driver all the time. Also people use Sportauto for preference when talking about laptimes around the ring.

What testdriver do means nothing.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:08 PM   #22
mayer
Regular User

Originally Posted by Just_me
I'll try to find the scan, but the SLR did it much faster than 7.52. The time was from Autobild of July 2004 I think, and it was 7.40.

EDIT: I can't find the scan, but here's the link from their site. The 'Ring time is on page 5.

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen...rtikel_id=6450
What testdriver do means nothing when comparing with other cars, M5 e39 did 8.20 min by a testdriver and M5 E60 7.52 min by a testdriver. But it means nothing. SportAuto is the officiell times since the cars are tested by the same driver all the time. Also people use Sportauto for preference when talking about laptimes around the ring.

What testdriver do means nothing.
Just because SportAuto's driver didn't achieve those times doesn't make it any less official. That time shows what the SLR is capable of in the hands of someone familiar with it. As long as the car wasn't tweaked in any way or had some unfair advantage like using slicks, there isn't any reasons why that time is invalid.
mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #23
5vz-fe
Regular User

SLR is almost a sports GT coupe instead of a hardcore race car. If u look at the video reviews posted so far, the SLR has a clear much softer suspension when compared to Enzo and CGT.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:21 PM   #24
Cockrocket
Regular User

The DTM will be faster than the SLR easly. Apprently the DTM handles like a race car and frankly aside from the weight factor it is!!....my sig says a lot but i am a fan of this car. It is rarer than the SLR, faster and more unique!...Amazing!...id love a video of the DTM! :roll:

EDIT: Just_Me, curious is your avatar a pic of the new Nurburgring m5 taxi?..i now their was a ring taxi which was a older m5 is that the new 1?

The Best is the Best...but their is always someone Better!
Cockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:44 PM   #25
fireguy
Regular User

IMO i think any car (and driver) that posts a sub- 8 minute time on the 'ring deserves much respect.........
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:32 PM   #26
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by caneswell
Originally Posted by DMbaseball1604
entirely agree, i really don't see why anyone would want one. Just a fast merc, nothing special!
I agree too...who the fuck would only offer a car with "pure sporting intentions" and then only offer it with an automatic transmission!? It's too heavy, and far uglier than either the Enzo, or the CGT, (or for that matter the Ford GT) and as a result, I'd have any one of them over it.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:14 AM   #27
ikon2003
Regular User

Yes, i think the SLR was built with a very different goal in mind, and can't be fairly compared to the enzo or cgt (though it's still fun to just for the sake of doing it.) howbout this tho: how many would take the CLK DTM AMG over the SLR? I don't know enough about the DTM but I would be very tempted to choose it since it's more unique and has a much racier design philosophy built into it.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #28
Just_me
Regular User

[quote="mayer"][quote="Just_me"]

Just because SportAuto's driver didn't achieve those times doesn't make it any less official. That time shows what the SLR is capable of in the hands of someone familiar with it. As long as the car wasn't tweaked in any way or had some unfair advantage like using slicks, there isn't any reasons why that time is invalid.
Comparing cars with other cars only works if its done by the same driver, or its useless. A kid can figure that out too .
Old 12-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #29
mayer
Regular User

[quote="Just_me"][quote="mayer"]
Originally Posted by Just_me

Comparing cars with other cars only works if its done by the same driver, or its useless. A kid can figure that out too .
LOL, and I suppose that the same driver wouldn't produce different results under different circumstances and days? You make it sound like the 7:40 achieved by the SLR is invalid, doesn't count for some reason, you're wrong! LOL. :roll:

FACT: the SLR can do 7:40, I don't care if it wasn't Sport Auto that did it or not..
mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:18 AM   #30
Chingachgook
Regular User

Now the record for a production car is hold by Donkervoort ( mmh.. seems like a mistake in spelling the name ops: ).

The SLR is so slow beacuse of the weight and the general idea behind the project. Is a Mercedes all around, not a McLaren and so NOT a supercar. Only a big GT with a terrible engine ( yes, powerful and full of torque, but it's not an engine for supercar IMHO, like the brand new V12 of the Enzo and the V10 of te Porsche ). The CLK DTM AMG ... I'm not expecting so much ... I think it won't be as fast as a GT3