Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 08-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #16
FordGTGuy

they used cammers I read about it. They were about to go for a stronger big block but didn't.

This engine was dropped in after Shelby took control of the GT-40 project under Henry Ford so yes depending on which car came first theirs a good poosibility they both had the same engine.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:41 PM   #17
mit5005
Regular User

Oh yea, u are right. Some GT40's came with the cammer too. I never knew that. It is amazing how that engine can put out 650 bhp at 7,500 rpm. That is still awesome even by today's standards.
mit5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:26 PM   #18
T-Bird
Regular User

it depends on if it's a GT40 or a GT40 MKII Lemans only the Lemans ones had the Cammer but alot of people were dropping them into their street cars recreating the Lemans cars painting with the Gulf colors and what not.

And you mean Henry Ford II right FordGTGuy
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #19
FordGTGuy

yep. thanks I knew that but your right I should have put the II on his name. what type of cars could your drop an engine this massive in?

I hope the new Xbox game Forza has a 427 cammer I would love to drp one of those in a new ford gt or a Lambo.

this is the game. you can custimiza like hell, performance enhancemnet realism is amazing and engine swapping with 200+ cars including lambo, Ford GT, Ferrari, Porsche, tons of American and Import brands.

and xbox live

heres a link to the game:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/forza/default.htm
Old 08-06-2004, 05:51 PM   #20
FordGTGuy

engines get around huh?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #21
T-Bird
Regular User

well you can shoe horn anything into anything if you have the time, money, patience, resources...
Old 08-07-2004, 01:15 AM   #22
mit5005
Regular User

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
yep. thanks I knew that but your right I should have put the II on his name. what type of cars could your drop an engine this massive in?

I hope the new Xbox game Forza has a 427 cammer I would love to drp one of those in a new ford gt or a Lambo.

this is the game. you can custimiza like hell, performance enhancemnet realism is amazing and engine swapping with 200+ cars including lambo, Ford GT, Ferrari, Porsche, tons of American and Import brands.

and xbox live

heres a link to the game:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/forza/default.htm
Cammer in a Lambo? I know it is a game, but have you seen a shrink lately?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:59 AM   #23
astonmartinandy
Regular User

That machine makes an incredible noise . I love cars like the Cobra that just look and sound as though they want to rip you limb from limb when you accelerate
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:12 AM   #24
blah
Regular User

I thought they used the 427 Jet Cobra, or is perhaps cammer another name for that engine? Tell me about it T, ford has that 5.0 Cammer kit out now for the focus.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:12 PM   #25
mit5005
Regular User

I think you are thinking about the 427 side oiler, which was the engine used for many of Cobras. The Cobra Jet came in the form of a 428 and 429 which came in Mustangs and other Fords. The cammer on the other hand, is a little known, race bred engine that Ford created so compete with the Hemi and Chevy's 427. This engine actually has hemisperical heads just like a hemi. The only reason some were put in street Cobras was to comply with racing rules. But of course Nascar banned the engine from use in their races.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #26
FordGTGuy

must have been to strong huh?

Well I know that the Ford GT-40 MK-II used a cammer 427 that why I like this one the most.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #27
T-Bird
Regular User

well Mit sort of tackeled that whole thing about the Cobra Jet but they did use them in the Cobras aswell and yes they crammed Cammers into some street cars for homologation reasons but that didn't work too well. there were a few different options for engines in the Cobra obviously the 289 and 427 but there were variants of each engine, that was the whole premise behind Shelby was to make the car for the customer except in the Mustang form which was slowly getting held back by Ford with budgets and whatnot. But since the Cobra was Shelby's car he did what he wanted with it and bought the engines from Ford for a few years and during that time you could essentially get any derivative of their engines in your Cobra and then later in the production run the engines were given to Shelby which limited the choices. Now-a-days Shelby makes their own Blocks so they can use whatever they want even Supercharged 427's with GT40 heads.

As for the new 5.0 Cammer motors I'm not too familiar with them but from what I understand it's just an updated 5.0 capable of insane numbers from standard trim to SC to TT I've seen them all and they are all impressive but I haven't read too much as to the technical aspects of the engine but I must say I wouldn't mind dropping one into My car.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #28
blah
Regular User

Its really just a modded out 4.6 but hell its very fucking impressive, and supposedly insanely powerful. the FrakenFocus motor trend had made almost 500Horses. That was with no Forced Induction.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #29
mit5005
Regular User

And remember, it is a modded Mustang Cobra engine, not the regular GT engine. The difference of course is the DOHC (hence the name "cammer" i'm guessing).
Old 08-07-2004, 09:28 PM   #30
T-Bird
Regular User

OK this is what Ford says about the "Cammer"

The 5.0L DOHC 4-valve ''Cammer'' engine is an upgrade variant of the 4.6L DOHC 4-valve Mustang Cobra engine, with numerous changes for improved power and durability. This engine is completely electronically managed. As part of the ''Cammer'' crate engine program, a ''stand-alone'' harness and engine management computer will be used for many applications.
With proper headers and low restriction air intake and vehicle exhaust systems, the engine will exceed 400 Bhp and have a very broad torque curve, peaking at over 365 ft./lbs.

LOOK AT WHAT YOU GET:
# Variable geometry long/short runner, magnesium intake manifold assembly
# All new Ford Racing 356 alloy aluminum block, specifically designed for this 5.0L engine program
# Ford Racing high flow cylinder heads
# Ford Racing 12mm lift camshafts with unique valves, springs and rocker arms
# High strength racing connecting rods
# Forged pistons with11:1 compression ratio
# Complete with power steering pump, alternator and air conditioning compressor

This assembly is basically a complete package of all the high performance modular DOHC 4-valve components being offered in the Ford Racing Performance Parts Catalog. These parts are currently in use as the core for a number of widely varying race engine applications. Modular 4.6L and 5.0L DOHC 4-valve engines have been successfully used in drag racing, circle track and road racing. Further component development takes place on a continuous basis at Ford Racing, and will result in ever expanding parts availability for this engine family. For enthusiasts of an earlier era, future versions of the ''Cammer'' and being developed with carburetor and distributor systems.

And the engine is not yet available to the public but they say by the end of the year.