Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #16
nthfinity
Regular User

Also about the I6 thing, the original 64 1/2 stang had a straight 6? Also my new V6 i meant new displacement like a 3.5, because as it is now they are lacking with their family sedans in the power department
the only v6's/inline 6 ford cared anything about performance the yamaha tuned SHO 3.0, and 3.2 v6. beyond that, everybody knows that a 6er mustang was for the $$ concious buyer who doesnt care about numbers, but rather looks.

and american sedans have passing gear accelleration that is just fine... people buy them for thier ammeneties, not their displacement, or power over the comparing brand. thats just good economics, and good marketing.

why would ford toss the 'old' 4.6 in jag? it makes no sence to put a less powerful, heavier engine in the jag. the 3.9 does quite well.
why would ford want bigger displacements if it cost more to manufacture ... mabey....

watput... i believe the xj chassis is different the the xjr, which is aluminium.. perhaps im mistaken.

one final thing: the newer lean manufacturing processes that ford has welcomed produce amazingly rigid bodies... so rigid, in fact, that that stress points had to be re-enforced. it is becoming a clear sign of fords intentions to have overall, better autos.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #17
blah
Regular User

THe 4.6 is a weak engine? Where did you hear that from? the engines in the mach 1 have pushed it to run a 13.1 stock. Ford current 4.6 are detuned in the GT, and slightly in the Mach 1. If Ford really let the 4.6 engine out they could make probably 350 or 370 without pushing to much. The reason im saying for ford to make new engines is because chevy is making a 6.0, and soon a 7 liter for the Z06. Slapping superchargers on engines can only be done reliably to a certain point.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
mindgam3
Regular User

The XJ series, including the XJR all use the same, all new aluminium chassis, ie not the one the DB7 and previous xj series used.

The XK series both have had face lifts recently which inculded an increase in engine size from 4.0 to 4.2 litres. The NA version running at 300hp and the supercharged at 400.

The base model of the XJ series, s types and x types are all v6's and all "new" aston V12's are based on two mondeo V6's put together. Not to mention noble who have use a V6 in their M12. All of which are based around the same V6 lump.

Wheres the 3.9 figure coming from?
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:49 PM   #19
blah
Regular User

Ok who else has ideas for their companies if they were running them? Ive given you my lincoln coupe idea, which would work easily. The G35 is nice and all but its to small, a big american luxury coupe would fit right in.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:59 AM   #20
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
I think in America they tend to round off engine capacity downwards, instead of upwards, like in Europe. So the 3.9 (US) = 4.0 (EUR)
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

i think i recall it being 3944 cc or something... which would make sence to round down?
Old 09-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #22
pimrusis
Regular User

That seems like a fairly good idea. Cept naming it the Continetial wouldn't be a good idea.

If you think you have an idea for Lincoln, you should see what the members of the LLSOC (Lincoln LS Owners Club) have to say. They are real pissed off that Lincoln is moving toward front-wheel drive, which is the word on the wire. The towncar and LS replacements are rumored to be front-wheel drive, built off of Ford frames.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:02 PM   #23
blah
Regular User

The Zephyr is going to be FWD, but the LS will stay RWD, and so will the town car. It would be ignorant for them to change their best sellers to RWD. The Aviator is gonna change into a Pacifica Fighter. so a crossover SUV, Minivan, large sedan. I named it Continental because thats what its been named in the past. Mabe the lincoln 500SC
Old 09-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

The Zephyr is going to be FWD
the concept car was shown in FWD, and the 'expensive' optioned out version wont be FWD
Old 09-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #25
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
The Zephyr is going to be FWD
the concept car was shown in FWD, and the 'expensive' optioned out version wont be FWD
Its based of the Mazda 6 chasis. It will be FWD, but i think they may offer an AWD version later.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:26 AM   #26
Mr.T
Regular User

i can't recal a single ford v6, or inline 6 with balls
Have you ever heard of a XR6 Turbo?
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:38 AM   #27
dingo
Regular User

^ he probably hasn't, since they don't leave our shores. I have to say though that is a I6 that I would love to have.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:59 AM   #28
mclaren_Gt
Regular User

the competition for lincons is bmw and mercedes benz and some saaft and cadillacs, but lincon is a ford car, and i prefer all of these cars the bmw, but quality, and price , is the best option, the bmw m3, is a nice price and elegance is the best car of these section to buy
Old 09-18-2004, 09:15 AM   #29
nthfinity
Regular User

Have you ever heard of a XR6 Turbo?
only just recently...isnt it in the falcon gt? (evolution of mad max's car)

whats really interesting is the 2 door lincoln that will be coming out

Its based of the Mazda 6 chasis. It will be FWD, but i think they may offer an AWD version later.

based on the vovlo S60 chassis, shared with the Ford 500
Old 09-19-2004, 12:19 AM   #30
Mr.T
Regular User

only just recently...isnt it in the falcon gt? (evolution of mad max's car)
Nah, the GT has a 5.4L 290/520nm V8.

The XR6T has a turbocharged (6psi) 4L 240kw/450nm inline 6. Later this year a ford performance vehicles version of it will come out with 270kw/550nm. So it will be the car with the most torque ever produced in Australia. Without the turbo the engine has 182kw/380nm which is what the base model falcons have.
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote