Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-18-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
i agree that acrobatic planes are very cool, but not much compares to 120,000 rpm and 50,000 + kg of thrust, vectored thrust.... no to mention 30 inch LOCAS aircraft with a Turbine the size of a nerf football making 160,000 rpm...

aircraft w/ props and reciprocating engines are quite limited in ability... they may sound great in the racing aircraft, but pushing the limits of technology requires moving forward... turbines, and later, scram jets with no moving parts.

i love aircraft myself to quite some degree; but i much prefer what lies ahead more then the past... but i quite like the past too.
Well prop aircraft (unless they can greatly reduce the weight of turbine engines) will always be more manueverable than jet air craft. Especially since jet aircraft are built around speed they need wings that are built more for speed than manueverbility. But don't get me wrong that thrust vectoring has improved modern jets greatly but none can roll amd change direction like an aerobatic prop plane. It seems your obviously more into speed than turning ability with your choice of the SR-71 which is meant to fly straight and fast, it's still a dam good choice though .

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:37 AM   #17
pagani
Regular User

I have a cool idea the unlimted gold class planes vs the current jetfigters (f16 and f15 tornado)and the must race round a racetrack like reno or something similar.
Jets are slow round the reno airrace track.
Jets are for kids.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 PM   #18
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani
I have a cool idea the unlimted gold class planes vs the current jetfigters (f16 and f15 tornado)and the must race round a racetrack like reno or something similar.
Jets are slow round the reno airrace track.
Jets are for kids.
:roll:
in a fighter, the advantage goes to whoever can go the fastest, turn the tighter radius, and kill from the greatest distance. the prop is severely outclassed by 1950's jets in every way.

stunt planes are one thing, but unlimited class racing in a circle is something else entirely.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #19
LotusGT1
Regular User

To drop in a car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...82238267QQrdZ1

EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY TO OWN THE MOST POWERFUL STREET REGISTERED AUTOMOBILE EVER BUILT POWERED BY A 1,650 CUBIC INCH SUPERCHARGED V12 PACKARD MERLIN ROLLS ROYCE ENGINE THAT WAS USED TO POWER THE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT P51 MUSTANG AND RUNS ON UNLEADED GASOLINE

THIS ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS ONE OF A KIND 1955 CHEVY THAT ONCE BELONGED TO AVA GARDNER HAS BEEN TRANFORMED OVER A FIFTEEN YEAR PERIOD TO PAY HOMAGE TO THE P51 MUSTANG AND THE 352nd FIGHTER GROUP THAT WAS STATIONED IN BODNEY ENGLAND DURING WORLD WAR II THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR DOWNING 729 ENEMY AIRCRAFT WITH ONLY 29 LOSES
(c/p from ad, so don't start about Caps )

Old 10-20-2005, 07:14 AM   #20
blinkmeat
Regular User

Greatest fighter-plane ever. Butchered :cry:
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #21
pagani
Regular User

I prefer the term hot rodded and i looks way better than any stock mustang.
But the performance is what counts more not the looks.
Dago red strega and the huntress III look sexy like angelina jolie and britney spears like a well build woman.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #22
MoeMonney
Regular User

You can Buy a soviet L-39 Jet for only $300,000 wich is the same price for a cesna. Check out the october issue of Wired magazine. The article is also on the website www.wired.com

One of my dreams for the future.

Cheers.
MoeMonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #23
pagani
Regular User

They run jet fighters class at reno but they are slower than the unlimted class.
Would be to enter a few supersonic jets like f15 f16 etc.
And compare the lap speed to the unlimted class.
:shock:
Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #24
MoeMonney
Regular User

The L-39 Jets are supersonic. They also sell Mig´s.
MoeMonney is offline   Reply With Quote