Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 05-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #16
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere
Looks tits! Is the mkII RWD or AWD?
Neither it's FWD!! Which is a shame, but it is still supposed to be the best handling golf chassis about.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:16 PM   #17
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere
Looks tits! Is the mkII RWD or AWD?
Neither it's FWD!! Which is a shame, but it is still supposed to be the best handling golf chassis about.
Ahh ok. I personally would not put that much cash into a FWD (note my sig I drive an FWD) but that is still really cool.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:26 AM   #18
GTO
Regular User

It will be dyno'd. It is going to Jabba Sport first to be set up properly. AS for torque steer, he is waiting to see how bad it is forst, but he may get the Quattro drive train!!
FWD, from what I hear HAVE to be braced to get good handling. Torque steer you'll have to live with, remember with AWD has torque steer too. Better off buying a new car than spending so much on a modded on. I think its awesome and bar a few suspention tweaks leave it as that.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #19
jon_s
Regular User

Lets just bang the "should get a new car for that money" aspect on the head. This is a PROJECT car; it is not about the money, it is about the love of building your own car.

He also own a new mk5 Golf GTI; completely standard.

As for FWD; he knows he is pushing it. However being FWD is not fatal.

The car has strut braces they jsut were not on in the pics.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #20
GTO
Regular User

Lets just bang the "should get a new car for that money" aspect on the head. This is a PROJECT car; it is not about the money, it is about the love of building your own car.

He also own a new mk5 Golf GTI; completely standard.

As for FWD; he knows he is pushing it. However being FWD is not fatal.

The car has strut braces they jsut were not on in the pics.
Cool I respect that, hey keep us posted on the project, like to see a vid and or dyno cart of this little beast!

Most shortcomings of car can be overcome by a good driver and with such a car , can produce great results.
Cheers
Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #21
jon_s
Regular User

LOL, sorry about the slightly harsh response. You have no idea how many times the "I would not spend that amount of money on a mkII golf" comment has cropped up. I feel like recording the answer: It is not about the money! It is about the passion of building a car from scratch!

You can be sure of the vids. I don't think I will be there on dyno day; but I shall remind him to take pics of the results (I will have to remind him; as drivability is more important to him than bhp results) The only reason the car is going on the dyno is that it has to be set up.

Anyway. Vids will be here in around 1 month (when we all go on holiday - we will also get a vid of it destroying the Saab Aero lol)
Old 06-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #22
No.1
Regular User

jon... been reading this topic since you started it, but the imageshackserver you used to host the pics isn't loading anything from me.

Any chance of uploading the pics onto another server (eg img32.ima.. etc.)

BTW - i agree with the idea of building the car from scratch. It's difficult to appreciate most modded cars because it's usually a body/exhaust job, as opposed to the full customised engine etc.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #23
coloradosilver
Regular User

I think the best part about the car is that it still looks like a basic golf from the outside. Nothing to give it away. And it looks like the exterrior is in great shape! Nice car!
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #24
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1
jon... been reading this topic since you started it, but the imageshackserver you used to host the pics isn't loading anything from me.

Any chance of uploading the pics onto another server (eg img32.ima.. etc.)

BTW - i agree with the idea of building the car from scratch. It's difficult to appreciate most modded cars because it's usually a body/exhaust job, as opposed to the full customised engine etc.
I shall find another host.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #25
No.1
Regular User

^^^^

No need for another host... just a different imageshack server. Some i can see, but i cannot see any of the pics in your topic
Old 06-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #26
jon_s
Regular User

How is this:

Old 06-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #27
No.1
Regular User

Nice one mate 8)

The best looking golf model IMO. I like the fact that he has kept the grey plastic mouldings and not gone down the regular de-seam/body cloured bumpers route.

However, red isn't my fave colour (with the obvious exception) ... makes it look cheaper, but that in turn makes it more of Q-Car 8)

The engine bay is a work of art... can't wait to see how it goes with all that power
Old 06-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #28
jon_s
Regular User

ALL the trimming (including windows etc) are brand new. One reason why he did not go down the mk1 route is the fact you can still order new bits for the original mkII.

The Brembos' were ordered from Seat at a time when they got the pricing horribly wrong! How does £100 for the calipers sound? LMAO! They have now corrected the error.

Red; humm. You are not alone in that thinking. Myself included. I think it looks good....but only because it is perfect workmanship. It does look pretty stunning on the road. But red would not have been my choice of colour.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:55 AM   #29
sads
Regular User

Wow I love it!! I dunno what you'd call it in other parts of the world but here that's the sleeper from hell!!!
A sleeper is a car with the performance of jet under the hood but the styling of a beutifuly kept stock car on the outside.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #30
jon_s
Regular User

Yep yep, sleeper is the word we use here