Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-02-2004, 03:31 PM   #16
mindgam3
Regular User

Reliability is the one main reason i was considering a powerbook over a windows laptop seeing as though the mac OS is based on linux which is a lot more stable than windows.

The only thing that put me off is the mac's mouse and "different" user interface from the PC which i may have got used to, but wasn't gonna take the risk.

I'd go for at least a 15" tho, 12" is very very small
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 PM   #17
No.1
Regular User

^^^

The 12inch is to take everywhere... the 15 is a widescreen, making it even larger than a reqular 15" screen.

The laptop will only be used for surfing the net, a bit of PS, word processing, and is supposed to be as portable as possible

BTW - How are things over at Savrow?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #18
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1
^^^

The 12inch is to take everywhere... the 15 is a widescreen, making it even larger than a reqular 15" screen.

The laptop will only be used for surfing the net, a bit of PS, word processing, and is supposed to be as portable as possible

BTW - How are things over at Savrow?
ah, k because if you weren't taking it EVERYWHERE i'd go for the 15" as the 12" really is small if you haven't seen it in person. Sounds good though and for what u want without any hicups you can't get better than a mac

Things are ok at Savrow, haven't heard from them for a while but it was in the building queue for a while. Should have started work on it or are starting work on it very soon. I should be getting some pics soon too so i'll post them when i get em
Old 09-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #19
No.1
Regular User

Yup... ultimate portability is my concern.

Looking forward to the Savrow build pics.. i aspire to owning one of their systems one day... if they keep up their customer service, and build quality
Old 09-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #20
mindgam3
Regular User

Yup... ultimate portability is my concern.

Looking forward to the Savrow build pics.. i aspire to owning one of their systems one day... if they keep up their customer service, and build quality
yeah, hopefully won't be too long before it arrives and i can give more details on that side of things Should be coming in 7 - 10 days, can't wait
Old 09-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Bash this... :fist:

I would use a Mac if:

a.) it was cost effective

b.) there was software support

Since I feed and cloth about 5 to 7 PC's at home and 2 laptops, Macs are stupidly priced..

And I really need to have access to more than 5 applications..

Hence - Macs suck..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:06 PM   #22
No.1
Regular User

What compact Laptop would you suggest then ???
Old 09-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #23
mindgam3
Regular User

Mac's do have a large software range plus you can get virtual PC to run windows applications on it. I agree Macs are expensive, but their not stupidly priced in comparison to the competition and other high end PC manufactureres such as Sony and IBM. Plus their much more stable than windows as they're based on linux - one BIG advantage
Old 09-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #24
No.1
Regular User

Thx for the Mac-Praise mindgam3

Let's see what acid tongue (J/K) RC45 has to say
Old 09-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #25
mindgam3
Regular User

Thx for the Mac-Praise mindgam3

Let's see what acid tongue (J/K) RC45 has to say
hehe Its not as if i'm biased at all, i dont own a mac but if i hadnt have found savrow and liked the general interface a bit more i'd probably be writing this on a powerbook right now. Sure there are cheaper options, but there always will be. If you spec up an IBM or sony similar in performance to a powerbook or G5 say, the price will be roughly the same give or take a few £100. Plus on Apples side, you get build quality, reliability, a more stable OS, better multimedia functions and generally the rest is just your own opinion on what suits you best - MAC or Windows.

For the things you want to do with it, the Apples perfect
Old 09-03-2004, 01:53 AM   #26
evoWalo
Regular User

Not to mention Macs hold their value longer than a PC. Sell a used Mac a few years later and you'd get double the value compared to a used PC. On the price side Macs... well if you dont compare point to point, PCs will always come out on top. Only dept Macs lag is in the number of games that you can play on it. It could take months to almost a year before a hot PC title comes to the Mac. So if you're a gamer I'd skip Macs. If you're looking for a light PC laptop check out IBM's X or T series. Love the build quality. If you want a carbon fiber laptop check out Sony's X505 model.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:14 AM   #27
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

hahah yes...thank you for supporting macs!!!!!!!!!

I'm about to get a G4 Powerbook, cant wait!
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:19 AM   #28
Regie
Regular User

Frankly, if potential Powerbook purchasers have the time to wait (i.e. till the end of the year / January), I'd wait and see if the G5 chip is introduced in the Powerbook range (doubtful) or at least a dual processor perhaps.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:22 AM   #29
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

thanks for the tip Régie, I've heard that there would be a new G5 coming out but it wouldnt be for another year...but I'm defitely looking into it...
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:52 AM   #30
evoWalo
Regular User

the next powerbook's rumored to be using carbon fiber instead of aluminum as its primary build component.