Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #16
dingo
Regular User

We're pretty set on hiring a C6 Corvette for the trip (Shelby Mustang) was too expensive. Comes out to about $2800 USD for 30 days, unlimited miles.

For you Corvette owners or those that have driven them before, how much luggage room is there in one? Enough to hold 2 guys luggage?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #17
ZfrkS62
Regular User

If you're only alloting yourself 800 bucks for fuel, i suggest you rent a Prius. It took me $1100 for a 3100 mile trip, and that was when gas was around 2.50 a gallon.

Item 18 on sameerao's list is fine, with one exception. You can't get all the way up to SF via Highway 1 anymore. couple years ago, the road at Devil's Slide was washed out and it's been closed ever since. they route you back into the mainland for last 45 minutes-hour and traffic along that road gets pretty backed up.

And this country has ALWAYS been one of the safest countries to road trip in. It's not a recent event just make sure you don't get off 405 in L.A. near Compton

From Florida, try to drive West along I-10 and visit New Orleans. Keep going if you want to see the Basin Bridge, which is miles upon miles upon miles of bridge over the Henderson Swamp. Awesome scenery on a clear day and if traffic isn't bad, you'll end up doing 90 before you realize it since the only way to really get busted is if the cop is behind you I would say though that New Orleans is really the only main attraction along the I-10 corridor. Plus, we've got a couple members in that area as well.

Let me know if you swing up to the Pacific North-wet. Late May-September is when the weather really starts turning nice.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
We're pretty set on hiring a C6 Corvette for the trip (Shelby Mustang) was too expensive. Comes out to about $2800 USD for 30 days, unlimited miles.

For you Corvette owners or those that have driven them before, how much luggage room is there in one? Enough to hold 2 guys luggage?
Corvette has a bigger trunk than a Camry or any other mid-size Wait - you say C6? The trunk is smaller than the C5 because of how they rerouted the mufflers.. but still enough for a lot of bags.

Just be sure not to take big hard suitcases. Medium sized dufflebags (like you would use for guns, cash and footballs of cocaine) fit very well.

Let us know whenif youpass through Houston.. we can take the C6 out for some roadcourse fun
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:45 AM   #19
dingo
Regular User

Ok, so maybe a bit more for fuel - whats the consumption on the C6 like? What is the fuel price over there currently?

Thanks for the info RC, seems like the C6 is the go! Oh and yes, definately planning on flogging the shit out of the Vette - for that amount of money I plan to hand the car back with minimal tyre tread.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

Ok, so maybe a bit more for fuel - whats the consumption on the C6 like? What is the fuel price over there currently?

Thanks for the info RC, seems like the C6 is the go! Oh and yes, definately planning on flogging the shit out of the Vette - for that amount of money I plan to hand the car back with minimal tyre tread.
26-30 mpg highway, which is most of what you'll be doing
Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #21
dingo
Regular User

What are speeding fines (jail time??) like over there? We fully plan on maxing out the Corvette.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

What are speeding fines (jail time??) like over there? We fully plan on maxing out the Corvette.
There are certain areas where it's "safe" to go very fast both speeding ticket-wise, and road quality.

Speeding fines very from county to county, city to city. I believe 50 mph over is jail time in general ~ 120 on the highways. 20 mph over is "wreakless driving" as well as stunts.

Many fines would be "pay within 30 days" locally, i don't know what the case would be for travelers.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #23
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Screw the fines, just worry bout the jail time. You're flying out of the country anyways
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Screw the fines, just worry bout the jail time. You're flying out of the country anyways
Except skipped fines can and do result in "persona non gratis" status being assigned to you.
Then there is the outsatanding warrants... that could be served the moment you enter astate

Just ask those silly Brits in the Porker GT2 (I seem to recall) that racked up thousands in tickest in Gumball 3000 Rally #1... they dare not return to the US
Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #25
dingo
Regular User

I went through Sameers trip idea on Google Earth last night and it came up to just under 6000 miles - which is more than we were planning and will really wear us out.

So the revised route looks something like below. Flying into New York, spend a couple of days there then fly to Miami and drive from then onwards.

Cant cut up and down the country or its just too much.

Thoughts?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:50 AM   #26
sentra_dude

Sounds like an awesome trip! Renting a C6 will make it even better.

Sameerao's list is excellent. A few other things I'd recommend. If you have time make a side trip to one of the big dams out West, Hoover or Glen Canyon Dam are both amazing sights to see in person. Bryce Canyon is a great place to stop as well. There are so many natural sights to see out West, those are just a very few...

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #27
RC45
Regular User

I went through Sameers trip idea on Google Earth last night and it came up to just under 6000 miles - which is more than we were planning and will really wear us out.

So the revised route looks something like below. Flying into New York, spend a couple of days there then fly to Miami and drive from then onwards.

Cant cut up and down the country or its just too much.

Thoughts?
Driving through Alabama, Mississppi, North Louisianna and North East Texas (via Dallas) is a pointless route.. (I have done that once.. great for cutting time but not very rewarding from a visual and travel value persepective) there is little to see and do long that route.

You are far better off travelling through southern Louisianna, taking in Mew orleans, on to Houston and then to San Atonio and then head North West.

This way you get to actually savour and sample something of the better scenery and sights of Mississippi, Louisianna and Texas.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #28
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^ yeah, I-10 is so much better of a route than hooking up with I-49 into Dallas.

Hell, even sticking it out into New Mexico would have been a better idea for my trip into LA.

Once you hit Phoenix AZ though, hit I-17 North and travel up to Sedona. Some awesome photo ops up there. You can jump back on I-49 and head west to Bakersfield, Ca until you hit I-5 South. Right about there is where I-5 is nothing but a straight black line into the horizon until you hit the Grapevine which is a fun mountain climb. Watch it on a holiday weekend though, because everyone and their dog heads into Los Angeles and it's bumper to fucking bumper going South.

My suggestion for you in terms of speed, is to hang with the semi trucks in between cities. They are the best radar detector you can find If they start slowing down, follow suit. Once they pick up speed and start leap frogging, the coast is clear.

Common courtesy when dealing with them is not to tailgate them, or slot in to close in front. If you're going to pass them, give them a quick flash or 2 of your headlights when you change lanes so that they know you are there. Use your signal to change back in front of them and wait for them to flash their lights. Once you get back in front of them, flash your hazards for 3 clicks as a thanks. Same courtesy as when they pass you. They may not flash to pass, but if you let them know they are clear to merge right, they'll appreciate it and flash their lights in return. Always give them the benefit of the doubt. It'll make your life a lot easier. These guys communicate as to which cars are jackasses and which ones aren't. And you don't want to be on the jackass list

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #29
dingo
Regular User

Updated plan....planned out day-by-day (5 weeks now aswell).

Thoughts please.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:33 PM   #30
RC45
Regular User

Understand some US cities and environs are smaller than others.

Take New Orleans... the touristy bits are relatively small, and close together so "sight seeing" will take up less time. But you would still want to give the French Quarter and Market area a about half a day at least.

Houston on the other hand is a sprawling metroplex (including a few surrounding areas) that stretchs maybe 80 miles across and seeing a few of the major sights on the same day is impractical - so youmight want to give yourself 3 days.

The day of arrival... a full 2nd day and then leave early the 3rd day. Especially if you lan on doing say the DownTown area and NASA and perhaps one of the WWII Vintage aircraft displays etc.

What types of shit are you guys wanting to see?