Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #16
TopGearNL
Regular User

Porsche and Bugatti are in the same concern, Volkswagen. Well at least they have some share in Porsche anyhow, that would just be stupid competing with yourself

And I know that people are likely to say: ''What about the Ferrari Enzo and the Maserati MC12, they were in the same concern!'' True true, but Maserati build that car in the first place because they wanted to race the car, you have to build a certain number of roadcars before you can do that.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #17
nickthaskater

Well after a bit of researching, it seems that Bugatti plan to build 300 Veyrons (feel free to correct if wrong), and they're pushing out around 70 per year, so there will indeed be some overlap with this Porsche should it actually come out in '09.

That said though, pretty much anyone who wanted a Veyron will have bought one by then, so a Porsche like this wouldn't really be competing against anything (with the Veyron only having less than 50 cars left in production by then). They Veyron will be fairly old by supercar standards by then anyways.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #18
dannyroz
Regular User

If this is going into production we shall be officially entering a new territory of supercars where 1000hp is the norm...and i bloody love it

My guess though is that they use a V8 with twin variable turbos that they developed for the 997 turbo

muahahaha muahahahahaha

Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #19
nickthaskater

Well with the Enzo's successor on the way with over 800hp, the Koenigsegg CCX capable of 900hp, and even the Corvette and Viper entering the 600hp+ club, it certainly seems like the hyper cars of tomorrow will be expected to have around 800-1000hp...

Absolutely fucking fantastic if that's how it all plays out haha
Old 06-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
Bernardo
Regular User

BS IMHO
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Global Warming
Regular User

But I doubt the Porsche will be a 4300lbs boat either!! I don’t understand why people keep talking about hp numbers and don’t talk about the weight! One is meaningless without the other. People see the Veyron has 1000HP are like "OHHHH that’s so cool!" But never menting that the damn thing weighs almost as much as a Honda Odyssey mini-van!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #22
TopGearNL
Regular User

Its not how many horsepower you have, its how you put them down on the road.

Ariel Atom (only) 300 HP but what a car :shock:
Old 06-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #23
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Its not how many horsepower you have, its how you put them down on the road.

Ariel Atom (only) 300 HP but what a car :shock:
No its because the Atom only weighs 1005lbs!

The veyron weighs more than 4 Atoms!! So it’s pretty easy to figure out. The Atom would have 1200HP if it was the same weight as the Veyron! (and the power was increased proportionately).
Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #24
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere
But I doubt the Porsche will be a 4300lbs boat either!! I don’t understand why people keep talking about hp numbers and don’t talk about the weight! One is meaningless without the other. People see the Veyron has 1000HP are like "OHHHH that’s so cool!" But never menting that the damn thing weighs almost as much as a Honda Odyssey mini-van!!
Very true, though the Veyron does somehow manage it's obesity quite well haha.

The old GT1 weighed in at 2536 to 2646 lbs, depending on the year (the original in '96 was the lightest)
And the CGT weighed in at 3042 lbs

So if they do go through with this new car, with that much power, and potential for such little weight, with an actual closed cockpit design (better aero and stiffer), holy shit...
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
TopGearNL
Regular User

Yes but I didn't say that there was anything wrong with the Veyron GH, the cost maybe but nothing more
Old 06-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #26
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater
Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere
Very true, though the Veyron does somehow manage it's obesity quite well haha.
Does it?

I have seen no road test of the Veyron except for that straight line thing they did on Top Gear. Has a Veyron been out on the ring yet? Or any other track? I have a feeling they don’t want it out there because its times would not even come anywhere close to its hype.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #27
nickthaskater

They ran the Veyron around the 'Ring while it was in development, it looked quite composed from the video I saw.

Edit:
This is just a rumor as of now as I have no confirmation, but I've heard that on the first episode of Top Gear after the World Cup break, the Stig is going to run it around their track.

I hope to God that they actually do...
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #28
666fast
Regular User

Well.......... there have been rumors of an upcoming LMP1 car since the debut of the LMP2 car in ALMS, Lemans etc..... It was announced not too long ago that by 2010, LMP1 cars would have to be closed cockpit. Maybe this is it and not an actual road car?

We'll have to wait and see it seems.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #29
dannyroz
Regular User

Lets put into consideration both the history of Porsche and Bugatti:

Bugatti has always been a luxury car with gobs of power and new technology to show the world what the standard of luxury driving should be.

Porsche has focused on lightweight designs where state of the art engineering led to success on the track for years and years to come.

Both of these things in mind, Porsche will not build a "big boobed girl" like the Veyron. The CGT came in weighing at 3000 lbs off the top of my head so if we try to take into account safety issues, weight of motor, luxury acutriments then I think it would be possible for it to weigh about 3200-3400 lbs.

P.S-Its unfair to compare the Atom to the Veyron
Old 06-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #30
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by dannyroz

P.S-Its unfair to compare the Atom to the Veyron
I agree and I'm not the one that started that comparison. I just think it’s so funny that people go so crazy over the "1000HP" number and never mention that it’s in a car that weighs 4300 pounds.

What ever the HP number 300, 700, 1000 it’s totally meaningless if you don’t also include the weight of the car.