Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-12-2003, 07:32 AM   #16
PaulGT2164
Regular User

i am putting over 300hp to the front wheels in my celica, and the best thing i have found so far is to let the rear of the car sit a lil higher, and use really stiff springs in the back..i still get mad wheelspin in the first three gears, but after i changed out the rear springs for much stiffer ones it helped alot...on some cars like the civic they make special drag suspension kits for, but i like the curves and the corners as well so i have to keep it in a middle for both drag and handling
Old 10-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #17
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I get wheel spin on my FWD 120 hp Nissan. FWD can handle less power than a RWD or AWD config. When you accelerate, the weight shifts to the back of the car, which is why RWD and AWD systems get better traction.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:30 AM   #18
mhn3773
Regular User

i think its pretty cool/funny when u see a FWD car going around a track...it gets to a long sweeping lets say right hander the guy just floors it and the front just billows smoke the whole way round the turn =)

i know thats not the correct way..but its still fun lol i have ridden in some FWD cars that don't have a traction problem unless u get stupid with it..like putting the rear tires on those eat in fast food trays pulling the hand brake and nailing the gas in the rain =) but thats another story lol
mhn3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:04 PM   #19
jpatino03
Regular User

I own one of those FF cars doesn't have a traction problem
Oh yeah, and Honda's got the torque steer thing figured out nicely too.
However, I was driving my friend's Grand Am GT (150 HP, 140 lb/ft) the other day and you really have to feather it off the line and feed the throttle smoothly or the front right tire goes all over the place.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:26 PM   #20
sickx
Regular User

LSD may help for traction, but it will increase your torque-steer, which menodocino so aptly pointed out is the bane of high-power FWD cars!!!
Case in point-- the new Acura TL, with 270hp, and torque steer like godzilla (it has an LSD)
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:23 AM   #21
xplane_Uppsala
Regular User

Torque steer only happened if the drive shafts differs in length. If you buy a car with equal drive shafts on both sides you do not get torque steer.
xplane_Uppsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #22
TeflonTron
Regular User

To help reduce torque-steer fit harder suspension brushes and pick-ups, and also think about a sub-frame brace along with a steering rack clamp. All of the above will help stop the suspension and chassis from flexing and this in turn will lower torque steer.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:31 PM   #23
sickx
Regular User

xplane--if it were that simple, the Honda engineers would have done it. The torque steer issue is one of the few serious flaws of the new TL--equal-length half-shafts may *theoritically* help, but when are forces perfectly equally distributed in the real world?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:39 PM   #24
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by xplane_Uppsala
Torque steer only happened if the drive shafts differs in length. If you buy a car with equal drive shafts on both sides you do not get torque steer.
That's easier said, than done. Since most FWD cars have transverse mounted engines. It's almost impossible to get the differential just in the middle of the car if you only have a small car.

And like sickx said, if you have equal length drive shafts, torque steer will still rise. It will in a smaller amount but it will still be there.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:49 AM   #25
Leo_M3
Regular User

Isnt it amazing with this information that some people still go off and modify they're Intrgras and Celicas for over 400hp? :shock:

Persoanly I wouldnt get a car with FWD and more then 200hp, 220hp is the ABSOLUTE limit but I think 200hp pushing it far enough.

FWD cars cant be modified too far IMO for straightline poke and handling simply because of that horrid, tourque steer.

The Straightest Six.
Leo_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:12 AM   #26
snacky
Regular User

Originally Posted by PaulGT2164
i am putting over 300hp to the front wheels in my celica, and the best thing i have found so far is to let the rear of the car sit a lil higher, and use really stiff springs in the back..i still get mad wheelspin in the first three gears,
the best thing I have found so far in my 100 hp honda civic is to do reverse donuts. the civic makes far more smoke and it's easier to start the rotation than my bimmer too. imagine the donuts you can do in that 300 hp car. put her n reverse and go for it !!! oh yeah, tape and post it on jabbasworld please
Old 01-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #27
sickx
Regular User

Leo. while you are correct in assuming that FWD is not OPTIMAL for straight-line accel, keep in mind that you have some FWD drag racers that are dipping into the 8s in the quarter mile. Pretty incredible considering the limitations, and far from slow. Of course, RWD is in the 4s!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #28
TeflonTron
Regular User

I already posted the best way to eliminate Torque-Steer 6 posts up. Sorry to be pedantic.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:02 PM   #29
SamuraiGti
Regular User

In my dad's car i get wheelspin sometimes too, and it's just only a Primera 1.6.

In my brother's car, Seat Ibiza Tdi, i don't have wheelspin so easy, because of the tires too. Michelin Pilot Exalto.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SamuraiGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:32 AM   #30
PaulGT2164
Regular User

leo M3 i dont have a torque steer problem the 6th gen celicas are amazing handling and well behaved cars. i enjoy basting m3s too , in a straight line, and i am sure i would hold my own against a m3 on a track, if i turned up the boost and invested in a better suspension, FWD isnt the first choice in a car, but it can be made to handle and drive well, look at the touring car series with the BMWs and the integras, civic, and proteges, they FWD'ers hold thier own quiet easily, FWD technology is not that far off from RWD, and a car with a nice chassis (integra, celica) can be just as compitent on a track as a rwd in the proper hands, i can have oversteer or understeer easily with my current set up and spring rates, i have been playing with the engine in the celica (bought some goodies to aid cooling and finally spents some good ol tuning time on it) and i believe i am cranking out about 360hp according to the G-Tech (this is at the flywheel i would guestimate) there are no dynos around here yet, but i know my 0-60 is alot faster, specially with slicks (low 5s) and thats still with lots of tirespin (i can only run 235 wides, if i still wanna turn halfway decent) and the car is a blast to drive. when i finish the mr2, it will be a interesting comparison. dont bash FWD so easily, its not what it used to be

snacky, revers donuts are a blast in the car lol, it will almost pull your teeth out the front of your mouth, it was a blast till i guess i cooked the CV joints hahahah

i run 900lb rate springs in the back, i would love to have some 1200s or 1600s, and i run 450s in the front, and i can rotate the car like it was RWD with a lil snap of the wheel or e-brake fun =)

i will be glad to get the mr2 done, heres what i got in the engine so far , arias forged low comp pistons, eagle forged rods, arp studs,bolts, caps, hks valve springs, shim under buckt conversion, hks 274 duration cams, aem cam gears, UO pulley kit, toyomoto exhaust manifold, and i am fixing to buy a T62 Turbo for it
with the proper fuels setup (walboro fuel pump, fuel cell, and some 800cc injectorss) and proper tuning and cooling (im gonna use a liquid to air intercooler prolly) i am hoping for at least 500hp which should be easily reached
i just have to find the donor car now, i have a few picked out. i hope to finish in march with it =)