Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #16
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Saadie
^^ ... he prolly got confused just like me .... had to ead it twice ..
anwyays ..
how did you get a chance to drive a nascar .... ohh and btw ... hows the handling ... ummm cornering i mean .. did you try that ?

lol mate no I have not driven one. Hence the smily

but I guess you can always go to Mosrport and get on the oval somehow with one of those Cascars.

I'm sure they have some sord of cascar experiance how they do with formula ford.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
coombsie66
Regular User

Sorry, you didnt seem to catch my sarcasm in that post, or your having a sense of humour faliure.
Im taking the piss, you cant make statements about what driver skill is required and how you can jump from one type of car into the next if youve never driven them and youve never spoken to or read of anyone who has.
I think you'd be surprised at the amount of balls required to do nascar and especially to drive them quickly. What intereaction have you actually had with any member of any racing community to come up with these comments? I travelled to america a couple years back with my friend who was doing a few rounds in some short track oval stuff, and he'd been in a single seater before then. Was it just a walk in the park, no.
Its a different form of racing, but you cant say it doesnt require any skill and that 'any' driver can just jump in one and be quick, thats complete bullshit. A good driver could, such as Colin Mcrae did with an ASCAR at rockingham a few years back, but he is an extremely talented driver.

Ha, i'd love to see you put in a nascar with the other guys in the field for a round, i bet you wouldnt be spouting shit about the 'talent' thats involved then.

For the record, i hate nascar too, i find it boring and monotenous, but i wont detract from the amount of skill that is invoved.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #18
saadie
Regular User

umm ok .. its 3:14 am .... and my brain is 99.99% dead .. i'll reply tomorro
Old 05-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #19
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by coombsie66
Sorry, you didnt seem to catch my sarcasm in that post, or your having a sense of humour faliure.
Im taking the piss, you cant make statements about what driver skill is required and how you can jump from one type of car into the next if youve never driven them and youve never spoken to or read of anyone who has.
I think you'd be surprised at the amount of balls required to do nascar and especially to drive them quickly. What intereaction have you actually had with any member of any racing community to come up with these comments? I travelled to america a couple years back with my friend who was doing a few rounds in some short track oval stuff, and he'd been in a single seater before then. Was it just a walk in the park, no.
Its a different form of racing, but you cant say it doesnt require any skill and that 'any' driver can just jump in one and be quick, thats complete bullshit. A good driver could, such as Colin Mcrae did with an ASCAR at rockingham a few years back, but he is an extremely talented driver.

Ha, i'd love to see you put in a nascar with the other guys in the field for a round, i bet you wouldnt be spouting shit about the 'talent' thats involved then.

For the record, i hate nascar too, i find it boring and monotenous, but i wont detract from the amount of skill that is invoved.

I think nascar is all about "balls" mate.

Balls is not skill.

Sure skill is required, but you cant deny the fact that doing a decent solo lap around an oval is about 6x easier then doing a decent lap around a road circuit in a road car or a light open wheeler like formula ford.

Definetly not everyone can do it. You cant just pick a guy off the street give him 3 hours of track time and prep him for it.

Now take nascar and compare it to WRC, FIA GT, F3, F1, ALMS. Man, nascar is 1/10th of that in technology, driver capability, physical stress...

They bring road car drivers for ALMS and Rolex Sports car series to do the 2 road course races in Nascar. I mean really. If those drivers have general competition "driving skills" they wouldnt need to bring other drivers to do the road corses for them.

And lastly have you seen the guys who race those cars? With the exception of a few (who are good in cars) they are bunch of dumb stupid rednecks who prolly have grade 6 education max. And you definetly need more then that to be a skilled driver in any other form of racing. Because you have to understand the car and basic physics, how tires work etc. The only thing those guys understand is that a mechanical bull can serious harm your nuts.

Have you heard how these guys speak to their engineers? Its rediculous.

Sorry but nascar requires 1/10th of the skill that any other form of motorsport does.

What it does require is balls, but Fernando Alonso has none of those and the d00de won an F1 Championship and that doesnt say much for the size of your nutsack in motorsports.

Lastly you dont need to be fixated on the notion that you need to "do it" to understand it. You only need to do it to understand them better.
Studying something, and understand things, watching footage and speaking to people can you give you a big understanding of things. You can figure out how a car should behave and handel based on mechanical specification and telemetry readouts. Watching different footage and reading different articles. Thats how the flew to the moon.

So I dont need to drive a Nascar around Indy to understand that there isnt much that goes into throttle delivery and steering input on a track with 4 identical corners and 2 different straights.

And should I start on dirt track racing lol....Fucking full throttle and opposite lock for x laps, its that simple

I'm sure our friend Dani would have no problem adapting from racing his Cleo to a Nascar in a weekend worth of track time.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #20
DeMoN
Regular User

As in the 1st reply nascar is GHEYYYYY

So dumb to go round and round, thats a stupid sport. Drivers see the same as roadkill, just drive and smash the guy upfront. Those cars arent even cars. They are like remote controlled cars, engine and plastic cover. Idiotic if you ask me.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #21
666fast
Regular User

I think Nascar is far more difficult than most of you are giving it credit for. Especially in the physical department. Monster power, zero driver aids, closed cockpit, bumping, drafting and a whole lot more makes it quite difficult.

BTW, no, I do not like Nascar either.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #22
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
I think Nascar is far more difficult than most of you are giving it credit for. Especially in the physical department. Monster power, zero driver aids, closed cockpit, bumping, drafting and a whole lot more makes it quite difficult.

BTW, no, I do not like Nascar either.
FIA GT/ALMS (but ALMS allows traction control)

Equal power

even higher cockpit temps, even more physical stress

Those tracks are smooth mate.

A road course is much more bumpy, and has much more G stress on the driver.

anyway........I've stated my opinion and I really got nothing more to say.

Do I undercredit it? Sure I do, just cause I find it so useless, but its still 1/10th of what a serious road course series requires.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #23
gangajas
Regular User

I've 'edited' my first NASCAR video. This year's Bud Pole at the Richmond Raceway:

http://rapidshare.de/files/19930774/Pole.avi.html

The sound the car makes is fantastic....

Are there two different Championships,the Nextel Series and the Busch Series?
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

tons of power; unless its one of the restrictor plate races, then it goes down below 500 hp sometimes.

tons of revs in a small block engine. (10,500 rpm+)

very high tech motors.

i just cant stand to watch it. not even the few that go on a road course... the cars just seem so slow on the road courses.

is it underrated?
no; i think its terribly overrated.

do i underrate it. mabey; i guess i dont really care
Old 05-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #25
coombsie66
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Well - "balls" are also part of the skills IMO. So yes - I think that you need to be skilled enough to drive those cars at those speeds, with 20 guys around trying to run over you rallye, F1, touring cars, GT's.... it's all about "balls" IMO. For sure it's a damn boring motorsport - but those drivers deserve my respect for what they do - it's all about confidence... and you don't get it with a weekend of practice
I'd agree, and IMO its that confidence and 'balls' that makes a good driver a great driver... And that counts for all types of motorsport.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #26
gangajas
Regular User

I've watched a race of the 'Craftsman Series' at St. Louis. Those trucks are really fast....
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #27
Zot09
Regular User

This is a total white-trash sport, and this is coming from a guy that is half-white. This "sport" bores me and millions of other people around the world, because all the drivers do is go around an oval a few hundred times. I agree with most of you on this topic, they drivers do not require TOO much skill, compared to say a F1 driver or Rally driver. But I do have to give respect to the cars in the series, they are capable of going 100+mph for hours on end.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #28
extraducksauce
Regular User

I think the primary "skills" in NASCAR is that one needs a STRONG LEFT ARM and a HEAVY RIGHT FOOT . . . aaaaaaand that's about it.
extraducksauce is offline   Reply With Quote