Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #16
5vz-fe
Regular User

Well, I know it is providing the convinence there's no doubt about it. However, it also make us accustom to something that is dividing our attention from the main task in a car.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6309033.stm

Mobile phones

The researchers said the study was particularly relevant to tasks that people have to do in a complex environment, such as flying a plane.

Talking on mobile phones when driving was also dangerous, they said because motorists are bombarded with visual information and might also be talking to passengers.

"Our new research offers neurological evidence that the brain cannot effectively do two things at once. People think if they are using a headset with their cell phone while driving they are safe, but they're not because they are still doing two cognitively demanding tasks at once," said co-author, Dr Rene Marois

Dr Dux added "Dual-task costs can be up to a second, and that's a long time when you're travelling at 60 miles per hour."

The law banning use of mobile phones while driving is to be strengthened from the 27th February when drivers who are caught will get three points on their licence as well as a £60 fine.

A spokesperson for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said the research confirmed what other studies had shown.

"The research we have seen is whether your on your mobile phone or a hands free kit, you're four times more likely to have a crash.

"It is why we keep saying to people, that the safe thing to do is to turn your mobile off when you are in the car.

"Generally we need people to take on board this research and understand just how dangerous it is."

Dr Narender Ramnani, reader in cognitive neuroscience at Royal Holloway University of London said: "We've always known that doing two things at once is difficult but what MRI tells us is where that bottleneck is occurring.

"We tend to overestimate our ability to do two things at once.

"It highlights that even areas such as the prefrontal cortex, which are very sophisticated, can only do one thing at a time."
PS. yes I am also aware that it is not something new and ground breaking, but I just thought that this isn't a great time for Ford to use this as a turn around idea.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
79TA
Regular User

It should help Ford sell cars. Many people seem to think the act of holding up a cell phone is especially distracting. Many states are passing hands free legislation on that premise. Talking on a headset shouldn't be all that different than talking to your passenger. Of course, an actual passenger will be more concerned about the road than anyone one has dialed on the phone.

Infiniti, even if I don't like the brand, seems to always be receiving praise for it's use of bluetooth features in their "high end" cars. It will be good for Ford to show them that even a common Focus might have the same features.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #18
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yeah I agree with you.. it's sad that they are using this as a major marketing campaign to sell their new cars.

They really need to work and market in other areas of their cars..