Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #16
T-Bird
Regular User

no you can't count the Toronto area as a population Toronto can't be #4 maybe top 10 but not 4.

And to the above statement about Levi's for $160 CDN you got fucked!
I got brand new Levi 502 Red tags and 517 Red tags for $30 each. Hell they are even cheaper in San Fran when I was there.

And you have to admit that the Government Health care isn't very good, atleast that's what the Canadians I know say.

So it doesn't seem that Canada is the best place to live. from what I hear it can be expensive especially the taxes.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:51 PM   #17
blinkmeat
Regular User

The towns that surround Toronto would be your best bet to live more cheaply. West of Toronto is a bit more expensive East b/c more "rich" people tend to live there and commute to Toronto. Moving East however to say (25) Pickering/ Ajax/ Whitby/ Oshawa (40 mins east) you can live more cheaply.

Depends where that Job is I guess. Did you find out where yet? If you give me the city I can suggest to you where I'd live.
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #18
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Toronto is #5 in North America BTW. http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/North_American_cities.htm
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #19
blah
Regular User

Screw canada come work for Boeing out here in California. Youll love it out here. Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine, and the Ocean. Canada is too perfect if ou ask me. With their low crime rates, open doors. I need drama in my daily life. I need breaking and entering and a raped pet in the same crime.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #20
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I need breaking and entering and a raped pet in the same crime.
You need that kind of stuff? What if it's your family that's next on the line, dawg? Why would anyone want high crime rates? :roll:
Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

bing that i practically live next to canada... and know people who drive 2 hours to, and from work living in the US... and wages are similar, and can be worth it to wait for the bridge, tunnel etc. .... however, if your visa wouldnt permit that, that would be dificult.
your trans am ws-6 would suffer in the garage (hopefully) until weather permits... but who says snow isnt a blast

i wish you luck, and texas is definately one of the cheaper states to live in.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #22
callen
Regular User

i live in the niagara region(niagara falls) if u are to work newhere in the greater toronto area i suggest u live here. it is a further drive (1.5 hrs to downtown but thier are options like the GO train) but u get the most bang for ur buck. u can buy serious houses, 3500 + sq feet on acre lots for under 400,000. want one of those in toronto? ull pay over a million. i live on 25 acres in a 5,000 sq foot house we recently had appraised for a shade under 400,000. this is one of the most scenic areas to live in ontario. alot of history is in the niagara region(in the 19th century niagara on the lake used to be the capital of upper canada!) we fought back u limey bastard americans in this very area as well. so u guys cant say we cant fight! niagara falls is here, the welland canal(which is only good for long waits and traffic jams, o and all the boat traffic to the great lakes heh) neways u get the picture, if u are to live in ontario, its best if u live within 2 hrs of toronto or ottawa, it can get boring and not much in terms of good paying jobs for financial managers.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:32 PM   #23
T-Bird
Regular User

blah I already suggested Boeing since they moved here to Chicago but he said he is limited by his Visa in the US eventhough he could get citizenship.
Where in California is Boeing I only know of their corporate office building(tower) in Chicago and the Big ass assembly facility in Seattle(larger than the SeaTac airport next door)
Old 08-17-2004, 08:34 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

limited by his Visa in the US eventhough he could get citizenship.
it takes quite a bit to achieve a citizenship status... not just filing papers, and there-you-go
Old 08-17-2004, 08:37 PM   #25
T-Bird
Regular User

but the fact that he already lives here and has a stable job, and a home etc... he would have an easier time than most wouldn't you say?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:46 PM   #26
BADMIHAI
Regular User

alot of history is in the niagara region(in the 19th century niagara on the lake used to be the capital of upper canada!)

That's hilarious, man!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:41 AM   #27
Stikz
Regular User

Hey transam, Toronto's a great place to live. The winter's a little rough, but if i can adjust i'm sure it'll be no problem for you. The people here are pretty nice. The city is incredibly multicultural. Good thing or bad thing depending on your point of view. There's tons of stuff to do. Pretty decent sports team except unfortunately no NFL team, but Buffalo is just across the border. Yeah, the taxes suck but like you said, once you're making the big bucks its not that big a deal anyways. Housing is pretty expensive in town, cheaper the further east you move. Going west i think the house prices are actually still pretty high. At least in Georgetown, Oakville, Mississauga and Brampton. Where exactly would you be working? Probably be able to get pretty specific info if you give us a location. Good luck with your decision.
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #28
Kal-EL905
Regular User

Hey TransAm2001,

I live in Hamilton, Ontario. It's about an hour drive to Toronto(TO). Many people who work in TO do not live there. It's very expensive and there is no parking unless your building has private parking. There are many smaller cities and towns in and around TO that are much cheaper to live in. Not only that but insurance charges change dramatically depending on which town you choose, but they will almost all be cheaper than TO.

Gas usually floats between 73 cents/litre and 85 cents/litre, expensive but not too bad. I don't find the living cost to be too bad here at all. You can have a modest 3-4 bedroom home for $160,000-$225,000 and up, it all depends on the area in which you choose to live.

I haven't traveled much or done much research on living costs in other countries, but it seems to me that if one thing is cheaper in another country something else is more expensive to make up for it. To be completely honest, I don't think I will ever want to live anywhere else.

Cheers,
Kal-EL

1994 Nissan Sentra--2000 1st place winnner- Tuner ET class-Toronto Motorsports Park
-1.6 litre engine, 5 speed
-Intake, custom exhaust

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
-350 cu.in. engine
-Intake, custom exhaust
Kal-EL905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #29
Stikz
Regular User

To be completely honest, I don't think I will ever want to live anywhere else.
Amen to that
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:23 PM   #30
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
I need breaking and entering and a raped pet in the same crime.
You need that kind of stuff? What if it's your family that's next on the line, dawg? Why would anyone want high crime rates? :roll:
did you not see the phrase raped pet?