Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-10-2004, 01:36 AM   #16
NYCHonda
Regular User

Yea, I thought about an E-class and 2003 E-class is still cost more than a used 2000 S-Class around here.
NYCHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:41 AM   #17
CarbonFibre
Regular User

Originally Posted by NYCHonda
I'm thinking about getting a used 2000 model of S-class and I was just wondering what is the difference between the three S-class here in the U.S. I doubt that I can afford the S600 even though a used one. I guess the S430 is good enough for me.

What's the engine horsepower anyway for the S430?
Don't get a used S600. The 2000 one is the older naturally aspirated V12, and it does not make much power for how friggin huge it is. That engine seemed like it was more to just say you've got a V12 while the newer one packs a big punch like it should.
CarbonFibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:45 AM   #18
NYCHonda
Regular User

Well, if I do decide 100& sure about getting an S-class, I'm not really looking for a high power car. I want something nice, comfortable, & luxurious.

Oh, so the twin turbocharged V12 is a new engine for the S600?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:03 AM   #19
CarbonFibre
Regular User

Oh, so the twin turbocharged V12 is a new engine for the S600?
Yes. The engine is basically a detuned version of the engine MB developed to go in the Maybach. Only more recent 600s have it.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:06 AM   #20
NYCHonda
Regular User

Oh I see. Twin turbocharged V12 sounds pretty bad ass though. I wouldn't expect that to be in the luxury sedan like S600.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:09 AM   #21
Vansquish
Regular User

Tire size hehehe...not that you'd probably notice a difference...and I believe that the S500 and S430 run the same rolling stock. As for the S600 there are two versions, one turbocharged (the most recent iteration) and one NA (the one slightly before they came out with the Turbo engine obviously)

:edit:
I see the engine thing has already been covered, nevermind then hehe.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:01 AM   #22
4RCD3S4
Regular User

Go for the 500. The 430 sedans tend to have less options on them. Also, go newer than a 2000 if you can. I used to work at a benz dealer and those 2000 cars had LOTS of problems with Command systems going bad, which are $$$$$$$ to fix or replace if you're out of warranty. Another nice advantage of the 2001 and later cars is that the Mercedes handheld phone that integrates with voice dialing and more in the Command system is a digital V60 or StarTac instead of the 2000, which still used an analog phone.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:06 AM   #23
NYCHonda
Regular User

Yea, that is pretty much the only thing that still making me think if I should get a Benz or not for daily use. The mainyenance and repair cost can be very expensive.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:22 AM   #24
Evo
Regular User

I notieced that the S500 and S600 sit just a bit lower than the S430 and the S350..
Old 02-11-2004, 10:19 AM   #25
4RCD3S4
Regular User

Yea, that is pretty much the only thing that still making me think if I should get a Benz or not for daily use. The mainyenance and repair cost can be very expensive.
That's one advantage of going to a benz dealer and getting a Starmark car. They offer pretty comprehensive warranty coverage on their certified used cars, its well worth the extra money they charge. Or, if you find a nice one somewhere else, buy a good warranty to go with it. It should pay for itself on the first major repair.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #26
NYCHonda
Regular User

Yea, that's true. Getting one with Starmark warranty is something I'm also considering.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #27
Gnome
Regular User

Why is the 600 turbocharged? I thought Mercedes only used superchargers. At least the smaller engines are supercharged if they're not NA.

Any opinions or rumours out there?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:26 PM   #28
CarbonFibre
Regular User

Originally Posted by Gnome
Why is the 600 turbocharged? I thought Mercedes only used superchargers. At least the smaller engines are supercharged if they're not NA.

Any opinions or rumours out there?
It just makes a lot more sense on a V12 to twin turbocharge it as opposed to supercharging it. Mercedes' superchargers fit on top of the engine (you know, the thing that people joke looks like a wafflemaker) which would need to be very large for a V12 engine of theirs. It would make the engine that much taller (negatively affecting a desire for lower center of gravity), and it would cost a lot. Two turbochargers, one on each side for each bank of cylinders, just works better. I guess they could have gone with twin centrifugal superchargers to stay with their SC mindset, but a setup like that isn't as good, and I don't know of any recent car using twin superchargers (there haven't been many at all).
Old 02-12-2004, 07:17 PM   #29
NYCHonda
Regular User

Isn't Mercedes Benz trying to make their cars to be more fuel efficient now? Isn't that the reason that now Mercedes Benz is using a SOHC 3 valves per cylinder design instead of the DOHC 4 valves per cylinder?