Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 02-07-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
ben
Regular User

Default I need help with connecting tv with my comp

I don't know how i can hook up my sattelite to my tv so i can "Borrow" stuff off Tv. i know that i can get an all in wonder ati, but i was wondering if there was a cheaper way.
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
zevolv
Regular User

not really but there are alternative connections yes

this might help: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...323643,00.html

Also use the search on the site you can find tons of possibilities
Old 02-07-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
crazidude
Regular User

You can get one of those TV tuner cards. Cheaper than an AIW, but I don't know how well they work.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:17 AM   #4
ben
Regular User

ic but what cable do i use with a tv tuner an s video or a component or can i use a uhf
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:26 AM   #5
AlienDB7
Regular User

Originally Posted by ben
ic but what cable do i use with a tv tuner an s video or a component or can i use a uhf
That depends on what capture card you have and what connection you have on your satellite receiver. Component input is pretty rare in low end capture cards so most likely you'll be connecting using s-video. Since you're using a receiver, you don't even need a tv tuner. Just get any capture card with video-in and you can connect the sound directly to your soundcard.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 AM   #6

S-video connector gives a slightly better picture quality over component although i haven't noticed any difference. Scart connector have the best quality i think.

As for the sound you connect the cable directly into your sound card (same place where u connect your pc speakers).

The cables usually come with the Tuner. I have a RADEON 64MB With TV-Out and both svideo and compsite came with it.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #7
gigdy
Regular User

Actually component is the best and I dont know of any cards with that input. S-video is the second best then theres cable and composite. If your encoding from an HD source you should use s-video but i dont think youd notice a diff otherwise. Also pci tvtuner cards are a pretty bad choice. Im running a ati 9600 aiw and i just use cable tv in and can notice just a little quality loss.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
keeba17
Regular User

don't you just need a video card with video in, and a video capture program like ulead videostudia?
keeba17 is offline   Reply With Quote