Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Mazda 6
subzero 3 5.08%
cool 27 45.76%
uncool 24 40.68%
seriously uncool 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2006, 02:44 AM   #16
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by Banchi105
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
Good looking car, it drives very well, but there isn't really anything cool about it. It's not particularly uncool but since there's no middle ground between cool and uncool, that's where it lands.
It could be a Taurus!
I hope you're not serious. The Taurus was a pig to drive. Slow, squishy, wallowy, it drove like the boat it was. The 6 is actually a pretty refined vehicle for the price. It's got a stylish exterior (esp. in sport guise), decent interior with good sound system (Bose esp.). It handles well, has a nice-sounding engine with decent top end performance and a creamy smooth character. It's equally at home wafting along on the highway at superlegal speeds or bombing along a back country road, carving out the esses. Definitely Cool.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #17
AlienDB7
Regular User

For its price, it's probably one of the more refined and fun cars in the segment. After test driving it (the sport hatch model) last year, I've been using it as a benchmark for other FWD mid-sized cars. Somehow they managed to get the steering and brake pedal feel just right. Most other cars from japanese manufacturers tend to have steering that's too light and/or spongy brakes... not this mazda.

The only thing I don't like... its 2.3L engine. A little bit on the weak side, revv happy but could use a little bit more torque. Have to try the 3L V6 sometime
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #18
Banchi105
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
Good looking car, it drives very well, but there isn't really anything cool about it. It's not particularly uncool but since there's no middle ground between cool and uncool, that's where it lands.
It could be a Taurus!
I hope you're not serious. The Taurus was a pig to drive. Slow, squishy, wallowy, it drove like the boat it was. The 6 is actually a pretty refined vehicle for the price. It's got a stylish exterior (esp. in sport guise), decent interior with good sound system (Bose esp.). It handles well, has a nice-sounding engine with decent top end performance and a creamy smooth character. It's equally at home wafting along on the highway at superlegal speeds or bombing along a back country road, carving out the esses. Definitely Cool.
I was referring to crayzayjay's statement and meant my response in the manner of "at least its not a taurus."

The Mazda 6 is one of the few people transport type cars with a sporting nature. You get a decent engine combined with a manual transmission. Throw that in with pretty darn good fwd handling and you have a fun to drive sedan. The Mazda 6 was the car I had set out to buy, but in the end I traded handling for the mesmerizing power of the VQ35 engine.
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
It could be a Taurus!
I was referring to crayzayjay's statement and meant my response in the manner of "at least its not a taurus."

The Mazda 6 is one of the few people transport type cars with a sporting nature. You get a decent engine combined with a manual transmission. Throw that in with pretty darn good fwd handling and you have a fun to drive sedan. The Mazda 6 was the car I had set out to buy, but in the end I traded handling for the mesmerizing power of the VQ35 engine.
Have to admit I'm tempted by the VQ35 as well, but only really in the 350Z. In its FWD applications (Maxima/Altima) I think it's a bit too much power to be going through the front wheels with unequal-length halfshafts as the torque steer can be pretty intense in my experience. I never had that problem in the 2 6's we leased, and I kind of like the 6's styling a bit better too. Either way, both are great fun, practical, and safe...where can you go wrong!?

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
stmoritzer
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Oh, the car is good. However that has nothing to do with coolness...
second that

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:07 AM   #21
LotusGT1
Regular User

Can somebody tip this car to uncoolness ??
Old 11-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #22
taygunho
Regular User

Uncool.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #23
tony
Regular User

Uncool. Sales rep car.

Mmmmm, free goo.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #24
T-Bird
Regular User

I like our shop car it's a speed6 made in Japan not the Michigan plant. AWD turbo is fun to drive. So far we are at roughly 330awhp and 400awtq. I know a few people with various regular 6's and they are fun to throw around especially in a 5-speed in either engine package.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #25
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Never heard of it.

Wait, I voted for it already, but I don't know what I voted for...
Old 04-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #26
Mattk
Regular User

This thread is so old that the new model has been released already.