Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 10-25-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default SPOILERS - 2007 Race of Champions

The premise is simple: using identical equipment and track, drivers can prove themselves based on talent alone. In 2007, the drivers compete in a series of knockout heats in their own division to determine their class champion. Then, in a shoot-out to determine who is the master of motorsport, the winners go head-to-head in a super final. The victor is awarded the title “The Champion of Champions”.

Drivers confirmed for 2007 include:

* Seven-time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher
* Formula One star Jenson Button
* Reigning World Touring Car Champion, Andy Priaulx
* Red Bull Racing’s David Coulthard
* Triple Champ Car Champion Sébastien Bourdais
* Seven-time Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen
* Former DTM Champion Mattias Ekström
* Reigning NASCAR Champion Jimmie Johnson
* Eight-time X-Games Champion Travis Pastrana
* Double World Rally Champion, Marcus Grönholm
* Renault F1’s Heikki Kovalainen

Track:
Wembley Stadium, London, England.

The celebrated stadium guarantees a spectacular, panoramic view of the entire track from all seats.

Construction of the approximately 1 km long parallel track calls for approximately 1,800 tonnes of asphalt, 2,200 tonnes of underlay and the erection of a 100-tonne cross-over bridge. It takes a team of 50 people five days to build and three days to dismantle.

The specially-designed track layout guarantees an impression of speed and power for drivers and spectators alike, plus plenty of side-by-side racing!

Source: http://www.raceofchampions.com

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
blue8
Regular User

Vettel and Schumacher for Team Germany!
Formula One’s youngest new star Sebastian Vettel is teaming up with seven-time F1 Champion Michael Schumacher for The Race of Champions (RoC) when it takes over Wembley Stadium later this year.

The Toro Rosso rookie, who amazed the F1 paddock by finishing fourth in the recent Chinese Grand Prix, is a big RoC fan and cannot wait to compete in front of an expected 80,000 racing fans at Wembley this December.

“I have always watched The Race of Champions on TV every year and dreamed about participating one day,” said the 20-year-old, who was just four-years-old when his ROC team-mate Schumacher made his F1 debut in 1991. “It’s fantastic to be invited; I’m so happy. To represent Team Germany together with Michael Schumacher is a great honour.”

Wembley will be transformed into a race track using 1,800 tonnes of tarmac for the 16 December event, allowing 18 star drivers to compete head-to-head in a series of knockout heats to determine the 'Champion of Champions.

There are two competitions: The Race of Champions, where drivers compete for individual glory, and The Nations Cup, where drivers partner-up to compete for their home country.

Schumacher, who has never raced against Vettel, says he is pleased with the choice and is optimistic about Germany’s chances. “I really look forward to teaming up with Sebastian for the Race of Champions,” said the seven-time F1 World Champion. “Finally we are in one team in motorsports as well, after having played charity-soccer together in the Nazionale Piloti in Italy."

“I have known Sebastian for a long time, having given him a trophy in a karting race when he was still a boy, and I remember being impressed by his drive. I still am, after his debut in F1 this year, and I am sure we will have a lot of fun together.”

Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
I guess Seb Loeb will also be there, and it will be a good occasion to compare him against Michael Schumacher

The line-up of drivers sounds very good, but I still believe - and I will never get tired of saying this - that an asphalt track inside a football stadium is not the best place to held such an extraordinary event, and that the old gravel-asphalt track in the Canary Islands was much more suitable IMO :bah: :roll:
I completely agree, the race was much more exciting when it was held at the Canary Islands. The tight, slow speed arena track is definitely not the greatest test these drivers can face.

What I'd love to see them do someday is hold the Race of Champions over the span of a few days in a few different locations. At one location, have them drive a rally special stage (obviously not a crazy hard one). At another, drive a single seater on an F-1 circuit. And maybe another with a road car on the arena track. That would truly test the drivers in my opinion.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

I agree with yourselves and many petrolhead as well; I miss a lot the much more suitable places such as the canarian racetrack where the event was held before Paris, the track made in Barcelona before the Canary Islands, a racetrack mixing some gravel and tarmac (before Barcelona the event was held in the Jarama racetrack in Madrid), and so on; however, none of them is in the city centre, and thats the problem
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
pagani
Regular User

Thumbs up

Robby gordon schould be on the list.
:good:
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
blue8
Regular User

Team Germany beats Team Finland to win the Race of Champions!
Michael Schumacher again stood on the top step of the podium as Germany won at Wembley in the Race of Champions Nations Cup.

Seven-times Formula One world champion Schumacher was partnered by current Toro Rosso driver Sebastian Vettel as Germany beat Finland in the final in the end-of-year spectacular.

For the first time since the inaugural event in 1988, the once-a-year showpiece was being staged at the new Wembley, with a 50,000 crowd on hand to watch the event

The world's best drivers from various disciplines were in competition against one another on a giant 'Scalextric' track built inside the stadium.

Germany even beat England in the semi-final - a familiar outcome - en route to their win, with Jenson Button and three-times World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx losing out to Schumacher and Vettel.

The 37-year-old Schumacher did suffer the embarrassment of stalling in his final heat against new McLaren driver Heikki Kovalainen.

That left Vettel with it all to do, but the 20-year-old proceeded to beat World Rally runner-up Markus Gronholm in his heat before then defeating Kovalainen in the race-off.

As a German, Schumacher was naturally delighted to win at Wembley as he said: "There were no balls or goals, so it was a little bit easier for us.

"At least against England it was straightforward!"

Vettel even surprised himself with how well he had performed, conceding: "I didn't expect that.

"I had a strong team-mate at the beginning as it took me some time to get started, but then after that it was excellent.

"We had the draw against England in the semi-final, and for the crowd it was spectacular."

Following that semi loss, Priaulx joked: "It wasn't just me who lost. JB (Button) did as well.

"Who invited them (Germany) in the first place? That's what I want to know. But it was good fun.

"It's a great event, a real good spectacle. Wembley showcasing racing cars is just awesome."

Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Cortez122
Regular User

Can someone please upload the ROC 2007
Cortez122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Carlos Fandango
Regular User

videos - http://www.mininova.org/tor/111
Carlos Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
LEXION
Regular User

It wasnt that exciting........I tought it will be something else, more speed, bigger show....it was like a kid race....dissapointing

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
LEXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

w/out reading..... are there spoilers in this topic?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
LEXION
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
w/out reading..... are there spoilers in this topic?
the thread is only spoilers so dont read it

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
LEXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
pilotvtm
Regular User

Last year was much better, in comparation with this year...
pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote