Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #16
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

A bit high? I think that's a pretty damn good price, considering it comes with software and a 22" monitor.

Go for it

As for building it yourself... It's not hard at all, but can be a pain. Takes about a few hours to assemble (correctly) and then you have to install Windows + drivers and then all of the applications you need.

But one recommendation I have if buying a pre-built PC is to format the sucker before you even log into the machine.

Then install Windows yourself on the newly formatted hard drive. Dell and companies a like pre-load tons of useless software that slows down the computer.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #17
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
Originally Posted by sameerrao
Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Originally Posted by sameerrao
Gentlemen, Thanks for the input.

ae86 is right about buying from Dell vs getting a grey market PC. Fryes Electronics make their own PC but it costs more than the Dell.

The 8800 GTS costs about $200-250 more than the 8600 GTS. :shock:

I can't get 800 DDR RAM in this specification.

i think I am going to buy it as it specced above.
I bought a EGA 8800 GTS "Superclocked" 320mb retail card over 2 months ago for $310.

There is nothing wrong with the specs you have picked out.. although what is the price Dell wants for that package?

Can't help but agree with Ronin, but it is a bit if a pain to put everything together yourself.
~$1350 for the whole package

damn, thats a bit high I would say. but then again, it is someone else putting it together and all that but still not worth it. in my book anyways.

either way, good luck with it and enjoy it!! 8)
I looked at the component prices at newegg.com and with shipping the self-assembled computer is approximately $100-120 cheaper than Dell's fully assembled PC. For that price difference, I would buy Dell's PC

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #18
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

^ plus you get a warranty for the full system on top of the software licenses

Building PC's is for the software pirate/geek/hardware enthusiast
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #19
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

na.. sounds good for ~$1,350, I say go for it..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
sameerrao
Regular User

It was $1350 till I thought about adding some more stuff :roll: ... Oh I think i need to burn the wallet

Does anyone track PC prices? Is it likely to drop much in 2 months time (July)?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 05-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #21
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Prices just dropped for Q2.. most companies usually go by the yearly quarter system when making big price drops or introducing new or upgraded products.

Usually if you wait for the next quarter price differences for CPU/Graphics cards drop around $20 bucks. Keep waiting until next year and you can get this proposed system for half what you are going to pay now
Old 05-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Sameer, it's hopeless. In 2 months time there'll be new toys and you would want them instead and end up paying equal...
Very true ...