Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #16
T-Bird
Regular User

Hell I slammed them from alot higher but I think with the Nismo Track suspension and Brembo's really did help the car alot I can't comment on the power because it had alot of work done to it. I've driven base model auto's and they do disappoint but for a 2nd hand car for 20K they don't totally suck either although I would rather have an RSX-S for that kind of money.

Oh and I wouldn't slam the VQ motors they have won many Engine of the year awards and Now that they are in 35,37,37TT and 40 versions There is alot to offer from them although Heat soak is a problem in the front 2 cylinders on the 350,G35,Maxima, and Murano versions of the intake manifold. I'm not sure of the new twin throttle body versions though.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
graywolf624
Regular User

^So it sounds like you agree with my conclusion:
Try to hard interior and jolts over large bumps not withstanding, the car felt like a decent mix of fun with performance. You could do worse for a daily driver in the mid 20s. You could also do better for one in the low 30s. If you want one, get the base.. and bargain.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
graywolf624
Regular User

Oh and I wouldn't slam the VQ motors they have won many Engine of the year awards and Now that they are in 35,37,37TT and 40 versions There is alot to offer from them although Heat soak is a problem in the front 2 cylinders on the 350,G35,Maxima, and Murano versions of the intake manifold. I'm not sure of the new twin throttle body versions though.
No slam real or implied. It was powerfull no doubt (306 bhp from a v6 is impressive). The problem is the suspension setup and the gearing to deliver that power left something to be desired. There was no power surge.. The power was extremely smooth, imho too smooth. As a result the car didn't feel all that fast. The suspension helped a bit in this area to make the car still fun to drive.

But it still wouldnt be what I call a sports car. Then again, I'm slightly picky on what I call a sports car. I've tested a total of 2 so far. (the corvette and the solstice. Note: The Trans Am, the RX8, the GTO, the 350Z, the mustang GT, mazda6... none of them made that list.) Theres nothing wrong with being a grand turing car if you can make the suspension so it doesnt kill your teeth over bumps and fix the awful interior.

I actually liked the car quite a bit.. At 20k. Which seems to be everyone elses consensus as well.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #19
T-Bird
Regular User

And that's going to be the downfall of the new GTR in my opinion...

Yes for the price there are some viable alternatives but you can't completely deny the car (Which I can easily do to the RX8) if you can get a really good deal then why not and add all the Nismo shit you can to it from the dealer.

The thing I don't get is why the 350Z is soo smooth with power and in my truck it slams you all the sudden at roughly 4250rpm I guess the tune is different.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #20
graywolf624
Regular User

Yes for the price there are some viable alternatives but you can't completely deny the car (Which I can easily do to the RX8) if you can get a really good deal then why not and add all the Nismo shit you can to it from the dealer.
I guess we agree. (both on the Z and the RX8) My only real hate points on the Z were the price and the interior. Otherwise its a good little car. That interior would piss me off every time I sat in the car, so it isn't on my list. If it were I'd bargain for a base and then go find Nismo or equivellant cheaper from an alternate source.

The thing I don't get is why the 350Z is soo smooth with power and in my truck it slams you all the sudden at roughly 4250rpm I guess the tune is different.
Variable Valve Timming maybe? Not sure. It was really smooth though.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #21
T-Bird
Regular User

they both have VVT and Variable legth intake manifolds.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #22
graywolf624
Regular User

Im outta ideas.. lol..