Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #31
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by rave426
IF ......... IF they could make it 2500lbs and 330hp, it would kick ass. POINT BLANK
That's key - even for BMW -- keeping the car down at 2500lbs. That is not an easy task at all.

Even gutted spec Miatas weigh about 2500lbs.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #32
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater
Originally Posted by Minacious

Jesus christ, grow some balls and get aquainted with your sexuality you insecure morons.
Ah yes, the internet-tough-guy need to resort to name calling. This comment from you is very amusing because your mouth would stay shut if we were standing face to face, and I can guarantee you that. Apparently you are too young to have a good hardy debate without throwing countless expletives into the mix. I guess this is a result of not having the wherewithal to conjure up a decent response to anything that goes against your opinion. I won’t call you out of name here because there is really no need to. A difference of opinions should be able to get into a heated debate without dropping down to juvenile levels.
Juvenile levels like RC going on about how people are dropping to their knees and sucking BMW? As for 'countless expletives, that was the first thing I had said in that regard, hardly countless (I counted one).

And to call me an internet toughguy, then for you to go on about 'face to face', way to be a hypocrite.
Countless is referring to your many other posts, not just this one. Am I a hypocrite for saying what I said, hardly. I am simply showing that with many who go off on the internet, they never seem to have the same bravado when not behind a computer.

Like I said, I won’t call you out of name, or anyone online for that matter, it proves nothing. There is no reason that a large group can’t have differences of opinion and debate about it in a civil manner.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #33
pitfield
Regular User

Obviously hhasn't driven a z4m. Brutally quick. THink i'd still go for a cayman s or maybe now that the boxster wil get the cayman's 3.4 motor I'll go for that, with PCCB obviously.

RC45, apart from the vfr what do you drive. (I have an RC46 myself, bit short on power though, trading for a blade or gsX-r 1000 soon)
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #34
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield
Obviously hhasn't driven a z4m. Brutally quick. THink i'd still go for a cayman s or maybe now that the boxster wil get the cayman's 3.4 motor I'll go for that, with PCCB obviously.

RC45, apart from the vfr what do you drive. (I have an RC46 myself, bit short on power though, trading for a blade or gsX-r 1000 soon)
If the Z4M is anything like the M Roadster or Coupe was, it's quick but not brutally quick.

And as far as the Cayman is concerned I have observed a GT3, 911 Turbo, GT3 RS Cup, Carrera GT owner pull into the pits after thrashing the car and observe that the Cayman while not being a bad handling car is "chronically under powered".... so you might want to set your sights on a used GT3 instead of the poofta Cayman

I sold the RC45 (RVF750) a while back - http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=11197&start=0 - my current steed is a 480bhp C5 Z06.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #35
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I don't think that's quite true.

According to miata.net and other bits of information, the Miata started in 1989/90 (NA model) with a curb weight of around 2100lb. Late model second (NB) and third (NC) models (from 2004-now) were just over 2500lb.

Gutted NA's and NB's have been known to weigh less then 2000lb. Not sure how much a gutted NC would be.

However, "Spec Miata's" must have a certain curb weight, which is around 2200lb for NA models, and as much as 2450lb for NC models with a 2.0liter engine... but these cars are not entirely gutted.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #36
Shinigami
Regular User

btw: are you not tempted by a Z06? It looks quite sweet in black. You've mentioned previously that it's quite cheap to wring out another 50hp out of the LS7, so I'm surprised you haven't taken the bite?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #37
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
I don't think that's quite true.

According to miata.net and other bits of information, the Miata started in 1989/90 (NA model) with a curb weight of around 2100lb. Late model second (NB) and third (NC) models (from 2004-now) were just over 2500lb.

Gutted NA's and NB's have been known to weigh less then 2000lb. Not sure how much a gutted NC would be.

However, "Spec Miata's" must have a certain curb weight, which is around 2200lb for NA models, and as much as 2450lb for NC models with a 2.0liter engine... but these cars are not entirely gutted.
Look - my comments are not based on "Google" - but actually spending time talking to and observng a couple of spec miata racers.

Just 2 weeks ago I was in a rcae shop watching a spec miata being built - so the 2500lb estimate is a lot closer to reality than what you realize

http://www.specmiata.com/specifications.htm

These are minimum not maximum weights... and the cars are quite gutted - trust me.. but I am sure you wouldn't so I'll provide an indepth photo spread of some spec miatas later in the week.

btw: are you not tempted by a Z06? It looks quite sweet in black. You've mentioned previously that it's quite cheap to wring out another 50hp out of the LS7, so I'm surprised you haven't taken the bite?
Not really - it's an incremental increase in performance but a double increase in cost.

I have better things to do with my money at this time than spend 60,000 extra to get a car that is pretty much the same as mine on the street.

*shrug*

Maybe when they start showing up as reasonably priced used cars we can check again.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #38
Shinigami
Regular User

"Quite" gutted is not the same as "completely" gutted The minimum weights of course are the recommendations. Free to go for more so you are correct in that context.

But seeing as a NA spec miata weight for a 1.6 liter engine is several hundred lb's less then the 2500 you mentioned, I'd surprised if an owner actually "wanted" to add weight to the car in order to reach 2300lb or more, since the car "stock" comes at just over 2000lb... Although I guess roll cages could easily add weight on top... But you are right in that 2300-2450 is minimal weight and the spec miatas you have seen built/raced may very well have been 2500lb or more.

I do however know of multiple occurences where owners have removed a lot of junk from their Miata's bringing the weight down to less then 2000lb... Even a Miata comes with a lot of sound deadening material, as well as aircon, radio and the like. The lightest Miata I've heard of, was gutted down to 1300lb...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #39
RC45
Regular User

The lightest Miata I've heard of, was gutted down to 1300lb...
The point is this.. have you seen just what a "gutted" car looks like?

It is in no way shape or form anything like BMW or Mercedes are capable of producing.. that is the point.. a FACTORY roadster in the 2500lb range from BMW or Mercedes Benz at a realistic price is not very easily achieved.

Ever imagine BMW or Mercedes Benz could build a car like an Elise/Exige?

I didn't think so
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #40
nickthaskater

I didn't think so
How many automakers outside of Lotus can and have? Not a hell of a lot.
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #41
RC45
Regular User

I didn't think so
How many automakers outside of Lotus can and have? Not a hell of a lot.
[sarcasm]
Yeah, other than Lotus, GM, Honda, Toyota (the ones off the top of my head) in the last 15 years there are not many... but rest assured, BMW and Mercedes are not in that group - at least not in global street legal form and for less that a bazillion dollars.
[/sarcasm]