Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-03-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
aawil
Regular User

Default Production Pontiac Solstice Pics

First pics I've seen of the hopefully production ready solstice.There should be a announcement tomorrow at the NAIAS.

Pics came from http://www.autoweek.nl/. I really like this car hopefully will get some more info tomorrow.
aawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Looks like a roughed-up Z4.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
AlienDB7
Regular User

Are you serious about the pontiac soltice going to production? Just heard from the pontiac general manager on TV last night saying that they have yet to get the green light for the car. If the soltice is a reality maybe they'll make the vauxhall vx lightning! I love that car, too bad they probably won't sell it in north american

The article at autoweek.nl: http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=2063
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
aawil
Regular User

Indeed the anouncement should come tomorrow. Also compare these pics to the original concept pics.The headlights are bigger and the interior is more production ready.Sadly i keep hearing different on sale dates from the end of this year to the fall of 2005. I was hoping for the begining of 05 at the latest but hopefully we'll have a clearer picture tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:11 AM   #5
X-ale
Regular User

seriously, who`d buy pink dials.... that grill is off too, in black maybe. The beige interior kinda don't match....the hand-brake is on the other side?? Any info on the production specs?
X-ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:11 AM   #6
altezza
Regular User

Detroit, Michigan - General Motors unveiled the 2006 Pontiac Solstice roadster today. It's expected to be in showrooms by the Fall of 2005. The Solstice was first shown as a concept car at the 2002 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit.

The production model remains true to the original Solstice concept, including rear-wheel drive, two-passenger seating and a reverse hinged clamshell hood that opens to reveal a 2.4 litre four-cylinder engine.

“True to the thinking behind the original concept, the production Solstice is all about being a ‘back-to-basics’ roadster with gorgeous lines and fun-to-drive characteristics,” said Bob Lutz, GM vice chairman of product development and chairman of GM North America. “The key enabler of Solstice is the new Kappa rear-wheel-drive architecture and component set, which allows us to rapidly and efficiently develop an appealing family of compact and affordable sports cars.”

The Kappa architecture features full-length hydroformed frame rails and a stamped steel structural tunnel to provide a solid structure to enhance vehicle handling. To create an affordable roadster, GM used a combination of new technology and existing GM components. For example, the rear corner lamps are from the GMC Envoy, while door handles, fog lamps, seats, engine and transmission are shared with other GM vehicles.

The engine is a new 170 horsepower all-aluminum 2.4-litre version of the Ecotec four-cylinder engine with variable valve timing. At the start of production, Solstice will be offered with a close-ratio Aisin five-speed manual transmission.

The dimensions of the production Solstice are comparable to the concept in terms of overhangs, wheelbase and track width. Independent front and rear suspensions and eighteen-inch wheels and tires are standard, as are four-wheel disc brakes.

The interior is surprisingly spacious and the convertible top folds flat into the rear clamshell opening, providing a smooth seamless appearance.

source: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040104-1.htm
Old 01-04-2004, 01:14 AM   #7
aawil
Regular User

Old 01-04-2004, 01:24 AM   #8
godspeed06
Regular User

wow great info. i've been watching that car ever since the concept. i love it. 2860 is a little heavy for what i was hoping for, but with a 240 hp supercharged engine it shouldn't be too sluggish. i also was hoping for the 6 spd from the vette, but i guess that won't happen either.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:26 AM   #9
aawil
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
wow great info. i've been watching that car ever since the concept. i love it. 2860 is a little heavy for what i was hoping for, but with a 240 hp supercharged engine it shouldn't be too sluggish. i also was hoping for the 6 spd from the vette, but i guess that won't happen either.
I think the 6 speed will come when the supercharged engine comes out. The 5-speed is for the 170 HP version. But it won't be out until fall of 2005.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:57 AM   #10
Toronto
Regular User

mmmmmmmm, all good but can it out sell a miata?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:33 PM   #11
AlienDB7
Regular User

Now, if they can do the same for the pontiac G6, that'll be nice. GM always has problem translating concept into production without ruining the design.

Hmm... looks like the pontiac is going to share the platform with other GM cars, including a chevy and a saturn. Have to say, I actually like the saturn one, especially the interior. But it's a concept after all, the interior is usually well designed, even for the GM ones.
Source: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040104-2.htm and http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040104-3.htm
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:50 PM   #12
godspeed06
Regular User

mmmmmmmm, all good but can it out sell a miata?
to be honest, i don't give a rat's ass as long as it is faster. honestly though, i'm pretty sure it won't out sell it. the miata sold like a raped ape, and i think the solstice has missed its window. as long as the reviews are decent and the chassis doesn't turn out to be a piece of shit (this is a roadster of course, it better have a rough ride and turn on a dime) i will buy one.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
FoxFour
Regular User

http://autoshow.msn.com/as/autoshow2...c=autoshow2004
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:19 PM   #14
altezza
Regular User

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. today announced plans to produce the sporty Pontiac Solstice roadster at its Wilmington, Del., Assembly Plant. The production location was announced at the official unveiling of the Solstice at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Solstice will be produced as a 2006 model year vehicle.

"This demonstrates a commitment by GM to the UAW, our employees and the Wilmington, Delaware community," said Gary Cowger, GM President, North America. "The Wilmington plant will play an important role in GM's effort to continue to bring exciting new products to the market."

The Solstice was first unveiled as a concept car at the 2002 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It features smooth, uncluttered lines, a rounded front end, and an interior swathed in leather and free of any unnecessary accents or controls.

source http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...n=2&docid=2205
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 PM   #15
kiato4
Regular User

Finally... a great looking... and i mean GREAT looking car from GM... if they build it I just might cry