Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #16
Ivanhoe
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe
ummm..err... I just don't like Astons, sorry... They're like Ferraris cept they don't go fast. I'd take a turbo over a vanquish anyday. As for this Aston, the look are O.K. imo nothing special. It will just be crushed by the 997 turbo. I doubt it could even keep up w/ the 996 turbo.
The AMV8 is not going to compete with the 911 turbo, but with the C2 and C4. I think Aston Martins are plenty fast BTW.

To hemi_fan: you're speaking of the video with Tiff Needell and the V8 Vantage Le Mans I think. The V8 engine of that car didn't meet emission regulations anymore and had to be cancelled. The V8 in this car is a different engine.
Are you serious? I thought I saw in some mag that the amv8 will be going against the turbo. Anyway, Aston's are fast yes, but not like 360 fast or murcielago fast or turbo fast. Just look at the Vanquish, that thing weighs like a billion lbs..
Old 12-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #17
stradale
Regular User

Yeah, that was a big disappointment (along with the gearbox) for me too. I don't understand why they didn't get that weight down. The engine is fenomenal. Plenty of power and a wonderful sound. Still, the Vanquish isn't slow. What I don't get though is why anyone would want a Vanquish now that the DB9 is here. Same engine, allegedly a great chassis and you could choose a manual gearbox. It looks almost just as magnificent, but costs less. Who knows a single reason for buying a Vanquish instead of a DB9?
Old 12-19-2003, 11:02 AM   #18
htfaber
Regular User

Good news!
With the 265 bhp they want to make it accesable for more people, though less exclusive....like a Porsche. Good decision I think.

The V8 Vantage is said to arrive with a whopping 500 bhp too. So I think you have your answer if it could compete with a turbo.

Notice the sidemirrors on a platter....nice
Old 12-19-2003, 11:06 AM   #19
htfaber
Regular User

Yeah, that's weird ain't it? I guess it's more the name and idea of buying a Vanquish that's gonna attract people. Because sensibly you should nuy a DB9. I also like the interior of the DB9 more than that of the Vanquish.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:30 PM   #20
maalox
Regular User

265hp puts it in Boxster territory, not 911 :shock:. I don't know if Aston should be compromising quite so heavily, although perhaps it will inject some much-needed sales volume. Now lets just hope the drive matches the looks...
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #21
doyle
Regular User

I think it looks beautiful! 265bhp is gonna be enough for 90% of the intended audience. If a lower priced model that increases sales allows AM to make a real return to racing then I am all for it.

doyle
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #22
FoxFour
Regular User

Absolutely sexy! Right on Aston Martin! They just need to keep it in the 350z price range and not weigh it down. And yes, the engine power does seem low- a 350Z puts around the same HP level. It better be as light as one too. A bare bones interior Aston Martin? Like to see what they have in mind.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:08 AM   #23
Ivanhoe
Regular User

Originally Posted by doyle
I think it looks beautiful! 265bhp is gonna be enough for 90% of the intended audience. If a lower priced model that increases sales allows AM to make a real return to racing then I am all for it.

doyle
I agree!! I SO agree... I'd say 70-80% turbo owners or ferrari owners (this don't include you jabba ) can't even use 30-40% of their car. 295 is plenty. very good point. boxster territory? i dunno bout that, i think the boxster would get flattened.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:21 PM   #24
jwar
Regular User

Wow, very nice. I hope then end product gets good reviews.
It would be sad to cheapen the brand.
It has already been cheapened because of the Ford ownership.

Isn't it crazy how so many brands like: lamborghini, aston martin, bentley, porsche are all making a cheap version? It used to be that these cars were only available to the super rich. Now any professional can afford one.
jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:08 PM   #25
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
Who knows a single reason for buying a Vanquish instead of a DB9?
I do, I like the look of the Vanquish more then that of the DB9 An important thing for a car, and certainly for a sportscar. But I do understand your point
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:03 PM   #26
exotic_bugatti
Regular User

how much is £60,000 in u.s $
exotic_bugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #27
pimrusis
Regular User

You are paying for the name. Give me a 911 anyday.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #28
bmwfreak
Regular User

I am, admittedly, an Aston Martin fan, and I am also a fan of the AM305 (it's Ford prototype codename). As with Astons, I think it's important to note that they're not all about brutal speed (ie 911 Turbo) or cornering finesse (ie Ferrari 575M/360), but a driving experience as a whole. Astons, together with Rolls Royces, Jags and Range Rovers, are British institutions in their own right. It has been a case with these cars, that refinement and sportiness go hand in hand, although we have seen with the S-Type R and RRovers that refinement does seem to be more of a priority. So perhaps it isnt all about cornering Gs and straightline speed after all. Many ppl seem to be blinded just by figures and facts. There IS an emotive aspect to motoring as well.

^Home.

///M

God's gift to the driver.
bmwfreak is offline   Reply With Quote