Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 05-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default US Sportscar Invitational Races at Laguna Seca - 4/30

Today, I drove down to Laguna Seca (near Monterey, CA) to see the the US Sports Car Invitational featuring the Rolex Grand American Sports Car series.

I am also headed there tomorrow for the final race. Let me know if you want more pics of some of the cars - Ill see what I can do

The various types of cars featured were:
1. Formula BMW
2. Mazdaspeed Miata Cup
3. Rolex Sports Car Series - GT
4. Rolex Sports Car Series - Daytona Prototype (DP)
5. Grand Am Cup

A. The drive there and the parking lot:

A Titanium Lotus Elise

Gruppe R meet - this is a Porsche group comprising the earlier racing versions of the Porsche - R types... Also happened upon a CGT in this group.

Porsche 911 GT2, AM Vanquish, Porsche 997

B. The cars in the pits

- I love the freedom of roaming just about anywhere and taking pics - friendly people all around. Very un-Formula One

JMB Racing Ferrari 360 Challenge - These guys race 550M,575M,360M in Europe. Here they only race the 360 Challenge.

BMWs - Went into the tent of Turner Motorsports and Air Force Reserve. Saw the legends car - Bill Auberlen. I noticed that the front and rear brakes were different - the mechanic told me that the fronts were massive Stoptech slotted rotors while the rears were stock BMW M3 drilled rotors.

Formula BMW

Daytona Prototypes

Porsche 911s - there were cars participating in the Grand Am Cup and the Rolex Sports Cars series with multiple levels of tuning. Note the rev counter in the hood of the car - this is meant for the mechanics when tending to the car

Mazda Miata

Ford Mustang

The official pace car - GTO

B. The Action on the race track

Laguna Seca is one of the most beautiful circuits in the world with technical corners, elevation changes, and one the best vantage points for spectator viewing. There are several places here where you can racing at multiple points of the track sitting in one spot. An unforgettable experience.

The Mustang was really fast but got overtaken by the BMWs eventually

Turn 8 - The famous Corkscrew - The Gulf look-alike DP and the Martini Porsche were my favorites ....

Between Turn 8 and 9

Turns 10 and 11 - my attempt at an artsy shot

Turn 2 from across the hill

Turn 2 from up close

The Pits area - I sneaked in here and spent a blissfull 30 minutes clicking away before I was ejected by the officials

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:25 AM   #2
dingo
Regular User

haha.....I love the plates on the CGT And the answer to that question would be 'yes' for most people That Vanquish just looks sinister, I quite like it actually
The sound of those Ferrari racers must have been insane :shock: - thanks for all the pics
Old 05-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Wutputt
Regular User

^^^^
That CGT license plate is idd great
And of course we want you to post more pics

Must be awesome you could sneak into the pits to take some marvellous pics. The Porsche R meet is an impressive sighting. I like those older 911 Carrera RS. Do you have more pics of them? The black Vanquish looks impressive but those wheels are horrible.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
The sound of those Ferrari racers must have been insane :shock: - thanks for all the pics
They sound is awesome as you might expect. But the other cars also sound incredible - particularly the Porsche 911 GT3s and the Ford Mustang.

The difference in sound between the road going F360 and F360 Challenge is not that much as compared to that between the road and race Mustang.

To hear these cars, you need to go to the corkscrew section - thats where all the sound reverberates from side to side and magnifies itself...

Wuttputt, if I see any more Porsche RSs today, I will take some pics for you...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
TT
Regular User

Nice pics! I love the CGT and "GT2" the most, but the GT2 could actually be as often, an improved Turbo (rear whiper).. having the roll cage, for sure it doesn't have the rear seats anymore, but again, not many owners ask for an optional rear whiper on their GT2/GT3.. not even sure it is in the option lists.. I think you must ask for a custom job if you want it..
And well, the front bumper is probably Techart.. I saw two techart 996TT lately, and both looked like GT2 from far away but weren't actually

Hell, who cares, it is totally awesome!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Stikz
Regular User

THe VANQUISH!!!! Wow. All the other pics are great as well. Thanks.
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote