Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Jokes and Humour

Jokes and Humour Got a joke, funny picture or video to share? Post it here

Old 03-02-2005, 02:04 AM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default This could explain alot about NASCAR fans...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/3430362 we all know what lead does....

According to the Scripps-Howard report, the EPA has been trying since 1998 to convince NASCAR to switch to unleaded fuel. And after consulting with the EPA, NASCAR tested unleaded gas in some races during 1998 and 1999.

So some environmentalists seem to be wondering why a permanent change has not been made.

"By permitting the continued use of lead, your organization may be putting millions of spectators and nearby residents at unnecessary risk of suffering serious health effects," the environmental group Clean Air Watch said in a recent letter to NASCAR chairman Brian France.

The letter continued to persuade France into taking action by emphasizing that other countries have effectively made the switch.

"Because of the clear and public health threat, lead is being eliminated from gasoline throughout most of the world. If Kazakhstan can eliminate lead from gasoline, why can't NASCAR?"

The elimination of lead in gasoline in the United States during the 1970s and 80s — and the rest of the world more recently — is considered one of the great public health victories of the 20th century.

So what does NASCAR say about the issue?

NASCAR has "looked into and will continue to look into making the switch to unleaded," but has not been able to find an alternative additive to lead, which lubricates engine valves, NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said.

So it seems maintaining the overall health and proficiency of cars' engines is (at least) an obstacle.

According to reports, the EPA has been trying since 1998 to convince NASCAR to switch to unleaded fuel. (Darrell Ingham / GettyImages)

"Without being able to keep the values lubed, the engines don't work as well and there would be continual problems," Posten said. "We just have not been able to find a solution."

The EPA claimed in a 2002 report that lead particles from auto exhaust can stay aloft for as long as 10 days and travel many miles from their source.

"The remaining uses of gasoline containing alkyl-lead, particularly for race cars and airplanes, potentially puts certain subpopulations at risk," the EPA said. "These subpopulations include residents, particularly children, near sources such as racetracks and general aviation airports; fuel attendants, racing crew staff, and spectators."

More than 3.5 million people attend national races every year.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
koliordos

Default Re: This could explain alot about NASCAR fans...

NASCAR has "looked into and will continue to look into making the switch to unleaded," but has not been able to find an alternative additive to lead, which lubricates engine valves, NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said.

"Without being able to keep the values lubed, the engines don't work as well and there would be continual problems," Posten said. "We just have not been able to find a solution."
here we see the lead at work
Old 03-02-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Re: This could explain alot about NASCAR fans...

Originally Posted by Dan\/6

here we see the lead at work
There are still lead substitutes availible though and it's not so much valve lubrication as it is cooling. Only a few mm of the valve has to pass through the valve guide and intake port. So i think there is an underlying motive as to why they are still running leaded gas. If lubrication ov the valve was really an issue, why isn't F1 having any problems?

Old 03-02-2005, 02:39 AM   #4
weichenoo
Regular User

my point exactly

in case you need the long explanation of my first reply :-
he has breathed in so much lead that he doesn't even know that all car manufacturers easily have the tech to make high performance/race engines that run ok on unleaded
weichenoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

my point exactly

in case you need the long explanation of my first reply :-
he has breathed in so much lead that he doesn't even know that all car manufacturers easily have the tech to make high performance/race engines that run ok on unleaded
oh, hahaha!! I took your comment the wrong way Maybe i have been to a few of these events and can't remember due to lead poisoning

Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
garybb

well surely not remembering them would be a good thing ?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:25 AM   #7
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well surely not remembering them would be a good thing ?
never said i was complaining

Old 03-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
ikon2003
Regular User

Jeez, lots of mixed emotions. humor cuz of stupidity, depression cuz of many affected people... hmm.

okay, question: what does F1 and GT GTR racers use? i'm very interested in seeing if they use unleaded fuel.

and just fyi, but kenya, one of the poorest nations in the world, is trying to switch to unleaded fuel. i mean, if they can do it....
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote