Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-25-2004, 07:57 PM   #16
gobs3z
Regular User

Apr chip, N75 race valve(pushing 19psi on KO3s), turbo back, and AEM cold air
Thats what i got and i did every possible researching i could do before putting anything on. You have quattro so you really don't have to change the clutch because all you have to do is drop it instead of feather it. And i'm pushing around 220hp, and 250lbs./tq. I'm very happy!! I've seen guys run 12's on the stock turbo, so don't worry much about reliability. The only i might recommend is a turbo timer, just to increase the life of it. But i'm not sure what you're looking for, big power or just some extra boost to have some fun with?

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:01 PM   #17
gobs3z
Regular User

i think the feather method still works better...i'm assuming that's what you use in your Golf?
Yeah it's what I use, and it's what burns the stock clutch up. I'm being literal when i say the stock clutch was designed for a women to drive the car. I just didn't know if your car or other AWD1.8T bog if you just drop the clutch. Are you saying they do?

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
Old 11-26-2004, 02:18 AM   #18
bullet_1800
Regular User

From my experience i believe that a Revo chip works realy well. The thing is that all this depends on how much money are you willing to spend for a single chip on your car. It would always be safer to go for an MTM one which always comes with Gurantee. ATB is good as well and they are know to give out some very good nubmers in hp. As for mentioning Dahlback before i would not recommend them as a guy i used to know had his ECU send over for a remap session and although they send the ECU back to him it wasn't working. And if that wasn't enough he had to send it another 1 more time to get it wrong again and then decide to take it to a local proffesional in his country.... Another very good brand for chiping the famous 1.8l t engine is Oettinger. All these companies have really small differenses between them chips. One of my friends ownes two Audi S3s and one has an MTM and the other has an Oettinger one. The mtm is much faster at low rpms although the Oettinger caches up after 200kmh and keeps on pulling hard until 280kmh(at least on the dash)What i am trying to say is that it is really subjective and it is up to you to decide the branding. It is all pretty much the same thing with similar pricing. Just make sure to choose from well know companies inside the German Tuning scene. One other upgrade worthing its money would be a swap for an S3 Turbo. It still quite small but that keeps the price down and it is capable of producing a well 320 hp.

Last thing: if you decide to go for the chip it would be nice to put some silicone hoses as well (Samco)because of the high boost the turbo is going to produce. You want the boost to be constant and stabilised. Also if you think of changing the airfilter do not make any big holes on the box because these engines have a know problem of burning the air-flow needle to much easily. And i can tell you that this thing costs....

Hope i have been of any help and not confused you any more...
Old 11-26-2004, 05:20 AM   #19
gobs3z
Regular User

I don't think he can MTM or Oettinger because he lives in California. Just go to www.vwvortex.com and you won't have any questions that can't be answered there.