Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-18-2003, 07:37 AM   #46
mendocino
Regular User

And in everyday use... normal use, the 111s will understeer..; you can never do what cavin did on normal road exept you're just crasy, that's what clarkson wanted to tell us. but as said before they're just two really different people with different views of motoring.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:59 PM   #47
AlienDB7
Regular User

If a "normal" driver wants a car that'll oversteer in everyday use, s/he wouldn't be driving a lotus anyway. If you can actually get to the limit on public road, it doesn't deserve the "best handling" car status! If you want to oversteer all the time, you may as well get the car tiff learned powersliding on...

Tiff - Yes, that's the big problem today. I learned my skills power slidding mum's Morris 1000 in the wet at 10mph. Nowadays, your doing 50 befroe you even get into trouble, and then it all goes wrong, all too quickly.

Sometimes, older cares are just more fun since you can really push it to the limit without going at an insane speed (relative to the road condition). I sure enjoyed going sideways at 10-20kph on snowy days
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #48
Tabero
Regular User

There was a fallout between the two of them...Tiff IMHO is a true driver that will examine a vehicle for what is really worth. Clarkson is a talker and is rarely drives any car the really reviews "the Stig" does all of there reviews. So Clarkson's give his opinion all the time w/o really driving the car. He does throw out some dry british humor but he lacks the racing blood that Tiff has.
Tabero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #49
maalox
Regular User

Part of it too is that Top Gear is aimed at a more general demographic I think. For one thing, Clarkson always glosses over a lot of more technical details as too boring/complicated for his audience--this is a tradeoff as it makes the show more accessible but also less interesting to the truly hardcore (I still like it, but mostly just to see cars I've read about in motion). Tiff's philosophy is more to emphasize the passion of driving, with a bit of commentary on whatever he thinks is interesting.
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote