Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
FPVPSI
Regular User

Nice hatch...the Orange one looks sweet...thanks for the info, pics.... 8)

p.s - i still say go the XR6 thamar...
Old 09-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
TransAm
Regular User

Looks good and thanks for posting this Thamar. I am seriously considering one of these Clios when I return to the UK...

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Renault launched already the Clio Sport RS S of 172 bhp about two years ago with the minimum stock equipment, as far as i know, the car had just the electric window and the central lock.....and just this because the car didnt even have the ABS, ESP, Air Conditioning, Electric Mirrors.......

By the way...for me is welcome every hot hatch with the minimum equipment....and its a shame for me that this clio is not on sale on the european continent......ive got some bad memories of a few years ago as well when Pug launched the 306 Rallye....the 306 with the same engine, transmission, brakes...as the GTI (2000cc, 167bhp, 6 speed gearbox), and the minimum equipment following the Peugeot Rallye spirit such as the pug 205 Rallye, the 106 Rallye, the Talbot Samba Rallye, the Simca Rallye..............
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
TransAm
Regular User

Capri, why do you have bad memories of the 306 Rallye? Was it not successful in your area?

Also, is it not too hot in your part of the world to go without air con?

Old 09-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
jorge
Regular User

I really like this car, and better if it´s faster.
It looks nice in orange.
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Lol......firstly...ive got bad memories of the pug 306 because it was, and it is a superb car in general, and the car was only sold in the UK with the right hand drive version........whereas the people from the european continent didnt have the chance to get a first hand or a left hand drive 306 rallye....thats why i had got bad memories........did you get it?

Secondly......the place where im living...the basque country, the northern Spain, the weather is not very hot as the mediterranean cost is, the middle or the south of Spain....we just get the hot climate in july and august and not very regularly actually since here it rains even as much as in the UK overall.....
Old 09-20-2004, 11:55 AM   #7
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

BTW TransAm2001...i think that we share quite a lot the hot hatch tastes since i read an article from you stating that you owned already a pug 205 GTI 1.9...and you liked a lot the cars sportive sensation when driving it.....for instance, the pug is my favourite hot hatch driven for myself, and one of the best hot hatch ever for me as well.......furthermore, if it werent for the need of a diesel car to get to work, the 205 GTI 1.9 would have been one of the strongest candidates in order to get a second hand hot hatch
Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 AM   #8
Regie
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
20kg's weightreduction, making it 1.070kg's heavy.
What did they do for it?
Other stereo installation, other rearseats that now fold in 1 piece instead of 2/3 - 1/3. Xenonlight, headlightwashers, rainsensor & heatreflecting frontscreen are removed. It also has stiffer springs (20% front & 15% rear) and dampers (20% front & 10% rear) , adjusted steering geometrie & special alloys.

The cup version is about 900£ cheaper then the "normal" sport.

The only bad thing is that it's only for the UK, maybe if demand is high enough they'll bring it to the rest of Europe...

I just wonder if it still has the airconditioning. They could've saved a lot of weight on that also!

[edit]Yep it still has the airco, electric & heated mirrors, powerwindows, ABS, ESP and other crap that they could've ditched to save a lot of weight.
Wish they had ditched all that crap, this should have been a car marketed at the folks who wanted a cheap but new track day toy.

In the 172 Cup, the weight difference was 89Kg. At only 29Kg lighter than the 182 version which is 1090kg the saving in weight will not be all that noticeable. I think Renault haven't removed the soundproofing like they did with the previous 172 Cup. Also the 182 Clio & Clio Cup both don't come with a spare wheel (the 172 Cup removed the spare wheel, saving even more weight)

Since it still has ABS and ESP. side airbags, air condtioning, adjustable rear head restraints and 3 rear seatbelts (the 172 Cup had only a bench) it is not really a Clio Cup. The inclusion of cruise control is like swift kick in the balls for those who wish to get the car as a track day car instead of a daily driver.

Interior appears to be the same as the Dynamique level in the standard Clios, i.e. cloth seats and trim instead of alcantra/leather.

Basically sounds like a cost cutting measure rather than one aimed at improving the lap times or the driver's pleasure.

It does come with the trick Michelin Exalto tyres and Cup suspension as standard. In the Clio 182 you had to pay £325 for the suspension (well worth the price from what I've read) and £200 for the front and rear spoiler pack (cosmetic). It is a joke that they are charing £295 for 'competition stripes' - stickers.
For those wondering about the suspension pack, the suspension is stiffened and lowered, front springs by 20% and rear spring rates by 15% and the damper settings by 10%. The wheel base and track have been slight increased and there are larger bearings in the front wheel hubs.

I've heard rumours that there might be a 200bhp version of the Clio next year. Although if it features the Megane's turbo engine, I don't think I would fancy the car as much.

Originally Posted by Ford Capri 2.8i
Renault launched already the Clio Sport RS S of 172 bhp about two years ago with the minimum stock equipment, as far as i know, the car had just the electric window and the central lock.....and just this because the car didnt even have the ABS, ESP, Air Conditioning, Electric Mirrors.......

By the way...for me is welcome every hot hatch with the minimum equipment....and its a shame for me that this clio is not on sale on the european continent......
They might do a limited run in France. The 172 Cup was sold in a batch of 300 badged as the Ragnotti version/edition. Only available in Mondial Blue.

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
I am seriously considering one of these Clios when I return to the UK...
Probably better getting a 182 and stumping up the £325 for the suspension pack, you get the creature comforts (leather, CD changer, climate control etc...) and safety features (side airbags, ABS, ESP...) all for only 20Kg extra.

for instance, the pug is my favourite hot hatch driven for myself, and one of the best hot hatch ever for me as well.......
Amen brother, amen!
I've never had that much fun in a hatch back (on a road or track) as when I've driven a 205GTi. It is an exciting hatch to drive and in it's day, a real firebreather. Unfortunately , I've never had the pleasure of enthusiatically driving a Clio Williams or the mid engined R5GT, both cars with solid reputations as well but not sold in our market here in Australia.
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:07 AM   #9
Regie
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
The R5 GT Turbo is front-engined. The R5 Turbo is mid-engined .
Now don't I feel stupid ops:
Fingers working before brain, and being rushed is my pathetic excuse/defence, your honour!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:08 AM   #10
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Dont worry Regie too much about your mistakes, once, as far as i know, the culture of hot hatches in Australia is quite little compared with Europe, and you know a lot more than me about the european cars rather than myself about australian cars, dont worry even here people make a lot of mistakes when they call renault 5 biturbo to the renault 5 turbo 2, and they think that the car has 2 turbos in it......furthermore, there are a lot of people who think that the renault 5 turbo has the engine in the back of the car
Old 09-21-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
TransAm
Regular User

BTW TransAm2001...i think that we share quite a lot the hot hatch tastes since i read an article from you stating that you owned already a pug 205 GTI 1.9...and you liked a lot the cars sportive sensation when driving it.....for instance, the pug is my favourite hot hatch driven for myself, and one of the best hot hatch ever for me as well.......furthermore, if it werent for the need of a diesel car to get to work, the 205 GTI 1.9 would have been one of the strongest candidates in order to get a second hand hot hatch
Yep I had one, and a 106 S16 a few years later.

Never had a 306 though.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:14 AM   #12
Regie
Regular User

Thanks for the kind and reassuring words you two Spanish fellas.

dani: I'd have to say the same about your signature, the Clios and the hip gyrating Starwars trooper, very nice. Would you happen to have any larger sized pics of the Clios with the coloured headlamp surround?

Ford Capri: Thanks for being nice, but I should have stopped and thought about it for a second instead of diving in and posting. I'm such a big fan of the R5, and other french hatches and autos that a mistake like mine, was inexcusable!

p.s. I'll pull my head in now.