Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-19-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
DeMoN
Regular User

Default Help me take care of my car!

For a long time, I have been driving a Honda Prelude. This car was a gift made to me by my father for XMAS when i was 2 years old. So yes, it is old. What most of you dont know, is that in Bolivia car waxes and leather cleaners and rim cleaners etc etc. cannot be found.

I am about to buy a car to use here in the US (my graduation present in advanced lol) and I have no idea what stuff to buy to keep it new. I am getting an Infiniti G35 Coupe. This is my first (and only for a looooong time) new car. I want to know what brands you guys suggest me to buy here in the US. What brands should I get for car wax (been told Turtle Wax is best), rim wax, tire shine, interior leather, etc etc.

One more thing... can someone provide me with a link or explain the best way to break in the motor? I have read several different methods, but I rather trust someone here at JabbasWorld. Thanks to all those willing to help.

p.s. I will post pics as soon as I get it so plz no "PICS or STFU" for now ok? lol
Old 08-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

Read your owners manual about breaking in the car. Check with your salesman. Anyway, usually taking it easy for the first 1000 miles keeping the revs under 4000 is a good policy. Dont listen to those guys who say rev the bollocks of it with in the first 50 miles.

There are several good brands around - In my opinion Zaino or Meguires would be very good picks...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
T-Bird
Regular User

I like to use either Turtle Wax Platinum or Mothers They are both very good. I just switched to the Turtle Wax Platinum series and it is really good. For tires Eagle One wet shine (I think that's the name) is very good it lasts a long time. Leather I'm not too sure about I don't have leather seats. Also I like to use RainX on my windows, it does wonders with rain and snow( I know you don't have that in Fla) the water just beads up and flows right off, no streaking or anything.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Maguiars and Mothers are very good from what I hear. I've used Turtle wax and didn't find it very good. The G35 is a sweet ride indeed!
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 PM   #5
IgotWRXed
Regular User

yeah keep the shifts under 4k for the first 1000miles. get an oil change every 3k, synthetic if u can.

IgotWRXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

they say hand wash for the first several months to allow the paint to harden.
i cant remember the name of the wax i use, but the cost is roughly 10$ usd/ bottle... and is the best ive ever used... its in a red container.

microfiber towels from turtlewax are great to keep a good shine, and honda polish 6$ spray is great for the in-between car washes, and waxes period to keep that exterior as reflective as possible.

for the interior, i recomend armor all ... i think its called extreme shine formula... its a richer shine then normal armor all, and the same uv, and corrosion protectants. i also use this on my door seals to keep them working as good as new. i do the the armor all on the seals every oil change to keep it regular.

mobile 1 10 w 30 is what i use, with lucas oil treatments.... but since you have a new car, that may not be nessesary yet

oh, and dont break past 1/2 the redline until your first oil change. enjoy the new car
Old 08-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
T-Bird
Regular User

Don't get Synthetic right away I would wait atleast until the second oil change. When breaking in an Engine you always want to start with normal oil.

You do want to take it easy on your car at first but you don't have to pussy foot it around town for a 1000 miles, Hell the car is under warranty
But seriously just don't redline the piss out of it and you will be fine.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:22 PM   #8
IgotWRXed
Regular User

well, its under warranty, but the main reason for the babying for the first 1k miles is for longevity. you want to make sure that all the gaskets seal properly(and other stuff gets worked out) and that the engine will not only be able to get beat up on later, you want to have th engine for a long time.

IgotWRXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #9
T-Bird
Regular User

I know what break in is for I'm just saying hey who cares it's under warranty as a joke.
I know all about break in procedures that's why I said not to put Synthetic in the engine immediately because it's too thin to help everything seat properly.
I have built engines before and am well aware of what can happen if you mess up.

but there is no harm in using up your tires and brakes under the warranty now is there?
My friend did it with his GTP and they didn't ask any questions although his mom did.
Another kid I know was dicking around trying to powerslide his Cavalier and inadvertantly threw it into a large curb and the motor mount broke along with some serious suspension shit and somehow managed to claim it under warranty saying it was the factories fault
Old 08-19-2004, 11:37 PM   #10
DeMoN
Regular User

Wow so much info. Thank you all for contributing. Didnt know that the manual provided info on how to do the brak in for the car. All this info is greatly appreciated. Mobile 1 is the best oil right? I change oil each 2k or 3k miles? BTW price on items for the car dont matter. I rather not eat for 2 days and have the car (my girlfriend) looking great =)
Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 PM   #11
T-Bird
Regular User

3k is ok for oil changes and high end synthetics can actually last upto 5k in some instances. I change my oil every 5k since the Royal Purple isn't cheap and it looks almost new.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #12
blah
Regular User

McGuirs, im looking into getting some RainX, im tired of people splashin water up on my car after ive spent 2 hours waxing it.