Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
AMD 28 66.67%
Intel 14 33.33%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2004, 12:30 AM   #16
crazidude
Regular User

heh I voted for AMD. For $130 Canadian you can't get a better chip than the 2500+ -m. From what I hear all of em are guarenteed to get at least 2.3ghz, and a few of em can get up to 2.6 on air.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:26 PM   #17
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

I have never had an AMD so I cant really speak out against it..but I have had numerous Intel processors and none of them have ever let me down..so Intel gets my vote
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:31 PM   #18
PATo355
Regular User

Amd is doing better processors and keeping the prices very low compared to the competition , so i think that gaves them the edge

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #19
FoxFour
Regular User

I have the Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Thread in my current system but my previous one had an Athlon in it. It ran fine. BTW, the new AMD 64 has a 64 bit processor; a first in the industry, compared to the rest that have 32 bit processors. This is a high end processor, yes-for now, but it shows you that AMD is in it for the long haul.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:04 PM   #20
Fluxlo
Regular User

LOL yeah they do have 64bit technology, too bad there isn't much mainstream software that takes advantage of it yet :roll:

It's kinda ironic how two years ago "amd chips ran very very hot, and p4's ran very cool..." and now, the new athlon 64's run alot cooler than the prescott p4's.

I think that amd was way behind before they released their k8 core (athlon 64's) and now they've caught up, and maybe even gotten a little bit ahead. P4's are still very strong chips though. It's too close to decide 'which is the overall winner'

However, the computer that i'm building in the summer will be Athlon 64 powered 8)
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:46 AM   #21
Kz
Regular User

AMD ATHLON all the way!!! :fist:
Kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:51 AM   #22
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Originally Posted by Kz
AMD ATHLON all the way!!! :fist:

Lool you idiot, you might want to check your private messages instead of replying like a moron to old post.

Check your private messages!!!

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:44 AM   #23
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Does anyone know when Intel is going to come out with their new chipset?
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #24
s13sr20det
Regular User

Never had a problem with my pentium overheating, but I have plenty of friends who have burned up AMD processors and/or boards. One of which has had 2 amd's burn up on him.
s13sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:47 PM   #25
mrzonda
Regular User

If you goto www.tomshardware.com and do a search on processors, you'll find a comparison of Intel vs AMD. It's a pretty good article that talks about each technology and compares them. It also gives performance plots of a bunch of different Intel chips vs a bunch of different AMD chips.

I was in the market for a computer not too long ago, and was debating on a P4 3.0 with 1mb of cache, or a AMD Athlon64 3200+. From what I remember, the non-overclocked P4 always beat the non-overclocked AMD, and sometimes beat the overclocked one.

And where I live (Vancouver), the Intel Chip is about $55 cheaper.

So I bought the Intel.
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:18 AM   #26
Overmind
Regular User

amd all the way, in comparsion to Intel, it has an unbeatable price/performance ratio .
Old 05-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #27
s13sr20det
Regular User

What about the performance/reliability issue, thats worth more to me than the performance/price.
s13sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:14 PM   #28
gtx28
Regular User

LOL, I cant vote in this poll it should have a option like "I dont have a clue"....
Or the ever comical "No Speaky English" Vote

As for me i would have to say Amd, intel continues to produce counter productive and backward products. Where Amd understands that the almighty Cpu must also feature more efficient components and assisting ic's. From what i have read Amd produces a much more efficient product, cause the focus on the complete package of moving data, not just the CPU. Either way its gonna take alot to get me to start purchasing Intel products again.
gtx28 is offline   Reply With Quote