Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
jabbasUser

Default Chris Klein...was it just the money?

why is it that there are test drivers like Wurz and Marc Gene, who's capable of running at least mid-pack ('03 Monza), still testing cars waiting for a permanent driver's seat while Chris Klein can snatch up a seat w/ Jaguar out of the blue. Was it the money/endorsement he brought in, or was he actively pursued in pre-F1 racing? OR...do the test drivers just prefer testing over racing?
Old 04-20-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
ravenpaua
Regular User

I think that Wurz, Gene, De la Rosa, and so are waiting for one opportunity to take a seat in one of the top teams, and not to race in a car that cannot compete with the bests. So meanwhile they are taking more and more experience that can help them to become this seat in a top team (because test drivers are doing more km than the "regular" race drivers).
ravenpaua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
ae86_16v
Regular User

Wasn't De la Rosa at Jaguar a few years back?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
jabbasUser

good point, they do get a lot more time behind the wheel.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
pengajim
Regular User

Chris Klein is a paying driver at Jag.
pengajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 AM   #6
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Default Re: Chris Klein...was it just the money?

Originally Posted by jabbasUser
why is it that there are test drivers like Wurz and Marc Gene, who's capable of running at least mid-pack ('03 Monza), still testing cars waiting for a permanent driver's seat while Chris Klein can snatch up a seat w/ Jaguar out of the blue. Was it the money/endorsement he brought in, or was he actively pursued in pre-F1 racing? OR...do the test drivers just prefer testing over racing?
he basicley paid for his seat, and brought sponsorship from redbull, it's sad that in F1 now, you only get in on money not skill.

they do say with money you can buy anything - including a seat in a F1 car!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
bmwfreak
Regular User

Klien doesnt look too bad to me. After watching the Bahrain GP, i actually thought he deserved to be in F1. He was daring, if a bit too ambitious in his moves (think Sato in debut season), and had an interesting 'battle' with an ailing Kimi.

I do not think the problem of 'pay drivers' is as exaggerated as it is made out to be. Many good drivers are there on merit, lest we forget, like Button, Webber, Alonso, Kimi, etc.

HOw many pay drivers have we got right now? There becos of money alone, and not a semblance of top-level talent? I can think of three : Pantano, Baumgartner, and... wait, make that two. Even Bruni looks halfway decent. Although its early in the season, so many mroe may be found out.

As for the issue of test drivers... Well, some may just be waiting for their chance at a top team (Gene, Pizzonia, De La Rosa, Wurz). Or some may just enjoy testing more.

^Home.

///M

God's gift to the driver.
bmwfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:37 AM   #8
coombsie66
Regular User

Its unfortunate, but most motorsport is now as much about financial backing and sponsor's support, as it is about skill.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 AM   #9
he7lius
Regular User

Ok may be Klien does deserve to be in F1 (i don't agree) but what about Pantano, Baumgartner (don't have a clue). These drivers are in my opinion absolute crap.
Even for Minardi i think if they had someone with more experience, instead of having to go in reasearch to find improvements they could get a lot of knowledge from a experience driver, example Rossi with Yamaha. ( don't ask me which one)
he7lius is offline   Reply With Quote