Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 03-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #16
StanAE86
Regular User

Originally Posted by novass
Originally Posted by StanAE86
I heard my old car made it pretty far until the transmission broke. Drifting will do that
That was your 86?
That WAS my old GT-S. I sold it about four months ago. It was my old track car. We tightened up the rear shocks (Tokico HTS) dialed in extra camber in the front and it became a drift car. =)

It originally had a small turbo set-up for street. Here's my homepage, it hasn't been updated in a while, but this is what is was, when I used to use it as a daily driver:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D.../PROJECTX.html

Then about a year ago, everything was revamped to make it a dedicated track car, rollbar, bigger turbo, stronger motor, new suspension, etc., etc., etc. I sold it to Alex of BattleVersion, who was also the guy that helped me do the revamp and he wanted a shop car. At that same time, I was getting bored of having just a track car because it's such a waste. I couldn't drive the car on the street without worrying about getting pulled over, I had to tow it to the tracks, etc. etc.

So, I sold it to Alex at a discount and he's been using it at various drifting events. It was a great car for track and we dyno'd it at 230hp at the wheels in a 120 degree heatwave (yeah, that was dumb), so it more likely made a tad over 240 at the wheels in regular weather.

For street, I actually preferred the smaller turbo, which was more responsive and faster to spool. Although the power was less.

I got it when I was still in high school in 1989, so I had the car before the whole import craze started. Here I am, getting all nostalgic about my old car...hahah. :roll:

Now I drive an M5...arrr arrr arr!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:18 PM   #17
Ziploc
Regular User

AE86's are the buisness
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:33 PM   #18
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by DR.GONZO
yea, they are all down here, all the shops are in H.B, even for your nova! They are right down the street from me, as for the z shit that l32 is at http://www.driftspeed.com/ The site changed the last time I have been too it, I can get the address and number for you, I might have the wrong site?? But where My friend bought his clean ass 510 with the c18det he got it from these guy's literally down the street http://www.altzinc.com/index.htm they do bomb work but they got pissed on the lag cause they have so many fuckin cars there, just too dam busy. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info Gonzo! You have any pics of that 510? I love 510s. My next project will be a 510 with a SR20DET in it as soon as I come across some funds. Just like the white and brown 510s in the pics. Thats gonna be my track car, well, some day that is, whenever I get my head out of my ass and get moving on it LOL.

@Stan - thanks for the link to that page. You got a lot of detailed stuff on there, makes for some good reading. That thing mustve been pretty quick with 240 at the rear. The only experiance I have with the 86s is from the drifting events, but they look like such nimble little cars I bet yours was fun as hell to take to a track. So I take it you live in the LA area, ya? Where could I go about getting some track time? I used to drag down at Terminal Island and at Pomona but TI is gone now and Pomona doesnt do street legals anymore, as far as I know. But im gettin tired of going straight, need to do some turning LOL

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #19
StanAE86
Regular User

It was very fast at 2000lbs. But the big turbo yielded more lag than the smaller turbo, which I didn't particularly care for. I think it's actually a little too much power for the car and upsets the balance a little. I think the car is best at about 200hp to the wheels, with more low end.

I'm actually in NorCal. If you want to get track time, do a search for SpeedTrial if you're looking to hang with the more amateur crowds and drifters. Many of the SpeedTrial events share groups or track space with Club4AG, which is comprised mostly of drifters these days. If you're more serious about open track, search for GreenFlag. I heard they're pretty good.

If you're just into drifting, search for DriftDay, which is run through Club4AG and Drift Association. They have a lot of AutoX style drift events in SoCal and at times, will tag team with SpeedTrial for track time.

As for dragging, Pomona is the only place I know of down in SoCal. If you make it to NorCal, Sears Point and Sacramento Raceway Park still do the Street Legal drags on Wednesday nights. Sac also does Test and Tune on Saturdays if I remember right.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #20
novass
Regular User

Thanks Stan! Ive been to a couple of the drift days but I dont drift, dont have a car for it. Although, I could be the only guy rockin a 63 Nova in the drift scene LOL i dont think my car would like that or handle that very well.

Ill check out that Greenflag, im looking for an open track for some race time just to mess around. I need to get workin on a track car.

Thanks for the info

-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 03-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #21
Junk2006
Regular User

If I be a real good boy maybe santa will get me one of those cars
Old 03-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #22
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by Junk2006
If I be a real good boy maybe santa will get me one of those cars
you forgot to add that the car should be filled with girls. Im gonna put that on my list too, hope it works.

-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 03-06-2004, 04:42 AM   #23
DR.GONZO
Regular User

nova, I can get pics from my bud and send them through e-mail too you, It's one of the best looking 510's I have seen, better looking than those 510's in those pics from d1 I'll hook you up as soon as he gives them too me! Really nice ride! Hey I wanna see a vid of you in your nova, unleash the power! My car will never be done! It's been in the shop for so long but he has not touched it, but I Need to get a little more flow so I can rush him on it, until then I have flow for what need's to be done, but Don't want to get caught in another major bill, so I will wait just a little longer.
DR.GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote